Premium Fuel With 6.2L?

I live just outside the largest city in Canada. My 2010 GMC came with the 4.8l engine, that by default came with support for a fuel that is not even sold in my province.  Not sure why GM did not bother checking to, see if that fuel was even available. . I can see having it as an option, but to force it into a region where they should have known it was not available. They seem to have fixed it now, E85 support is an option now. 

1 hour ago, Doug_Scott said:

I live just outside the largest city in Canada. My 2010 GMC came with the 4.8l engine, that by default came with support for a fuel that is not even sold in my province.  Not sure why GM did not bother checking to, see if that fuel was even available. . I can see having it as an option, but to force it into a region where they should have known it was not available. They seem to have fixed it now, E85 support is an option now. 

Because it is cheaper and easier on the assembly process to use shared components on the build, that means trying to get down to one set of parts that are used on all of the series of the vehicles. Helps cut down on manufacturing costs and increases profitability.

Canada has enacted similar emission credits as the US, and selling FFV’s is one way to meet the mandate there, just like in the US.

And like your experience, FFV’s are sold in the US in some areas that really don’t even offer E85.

The automaker doesn’t care, as long as they meet their numbers.

It’s just more government meddling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I just splurged on a 2018 Sierra Denali Ultimate with the 6.2L last week (previously had a 2014 SLT with 5.3L).  I’m still on the first tank that the dealer put in it, which was 87 octane.  I know because I asked them to confirm that they put 93 in it and he looked at me like I was an idiot.  He then preceded to say that “it’s a recommendation, not a requirement”.  I’m not pulling anything with it yet so it’s probably not a big deal for this first 400 miles or so; still, it rubs me the wrong way.  I’ll just have to baby it.

On a positive note, I’m sure it also had 87 in it during my test drive and I was still floored by the power difference between it and my 5.3 so I guess I still get to look forward to seeing it’s performance with the recommended fuel.  I will admit that the $0.65 more a gallon is gonna hurt though.

Edited by sword

8 hours ago, sword said:

I just splurged on a 2018 Sierra Denali Ultimate with the 6.2L last week (previously had a 2014 SLT with 5.3L).  I’m still on the first tank that the dealer put in it, which was 87 octane.  I know because I asked them to confirm that they put 93 in it and he looked at me like I was an idiot.  He then preceded to say that “it’s a recommendation, not a requirement”.  I’m not pulling anything with it yet so it’s probably not a big deal for this first 400 miles or so; still, it rubs me the wrong way.  I’ll just have to baby it.

On a positive note, I’m sure it also had 87 in it during my test drive and I was still floored by the power difference between it and my 5.3 so I guess I still get to look forward to seeing it’s performance with the recommended fuel.  I will admit that the $0.65 more a gallon is gonna hurt though.

Congrats on the new truck.  No need to baby it, the ECM will do that for you. The 6.2 is about 20% larger in displacement, it had better have more power than a 5.3.  Not sure you see anywhere near 400 miles on a tank of fuel, especially if your area does not have non-ethanol 93 octane fuel. 

8 hours ago, sword said:

yeah, I said the same thing to my dealer after he claimed they filled it up for me..."uhhh really, supreme?? umm I'm sure they did" :smash:

So far I’m averaging around 19.1 mpg.  It’s got 332 miles on it (33 at delivery) and I have a little over 1/4 tank left.  I drive almost exclusively country roads at 45-50 mph and avoid routes with lots of stop signs (most intersections are 2-way stops around here).  I am actually in 4 cyl mode a lot more than I’m not.

So far, it’s been more fuel efficient than my SLT was but we will have to see what impact the level kit and 34s has on that.