Video - 2016 5.3 vs 6.2 both 8 speed auto max tow 3:42

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

6.2 ftw.. period the end.. spend the xtra almost $3,000 for the 6.2.. proof is in the pudding

It's only 3K if you already have a fully loaded 5.3. Sure then adding a 6.2 is 3K. ( I assume the 6.2 is still only offered to upper trim levels) IF you just want a cheap LS 5.3 then its probably a 15 - 20 K option and not worth it or out of your price range. If it is in your price range to jump up then spend a tad more and get a D Max. The hell with the 6.2 at 50K+. My Dmax is incredible and the 6.2 isn't even in the ball park.

It's only 3K if you already have a fully loaded 5.3. Sure then adding a 6.2 is 3K. ( I assume the 6.2 is still only offered to upper trim levels) IF you just want a cheap LS 5.3 then its probably a 15 - 20 K option and not worth it or out of your price range. If it is in your price range to jump up then spend a tad more and get a D Max. The hell with the 6.2 at 50K+. My Dmax is incredible and the 6.2 isn't even in the ball park.

What ball park? I paid a tick under $40 grand for mine, more fun to drive, better handling, better ride,... oh you mean towing ball park? Yeah true. Can't touch the Dmax on towing with any gas engine. Bang for buck, Dmax not even same ball park. :driving:

I just built a base 1500 ltz 4x4 crew cab sb with a 6.2l 8 speed and max towing for $46,757 after rebates. The same configuration in an lt with a 5.3l max towing is $40,892 after the same rebates. So it's only $5,865 difference. A 2016 2500hd 4x4 crew cab base lt with only the package you have to get to get the duramax was $52,560 after rebates which is $11,668 more than the ltz 1500, and $5,803 more than the 6.2l 1500. These are actual numbers off their build and price option on their website. The gap to get the 6.2 isn't that bad, and a lot cheaper than getting a duramax.

Sure the dmax is more, but it's a whole different motor, a whole different truck and a whole different HD drivetrain.

Not even a discussion worth having because of those vast differences - unless you're just going to go get groceries. Just kidding! But seriously, way different trucks.

What ball park? I paid a tick under $40 grand for mine, more fun to drive, better handling, better ride,... oh you mean towing ball park? Yeah true. Can't touch the Dmax on towing with any gas engine. Bang for buck, Dmax not even same ball park. :driving:

The DMax is way more fun then any 1/2 ton I have ever drove. The throttle response and torque are incredible. The 1/2 does have a softer ride and I guess better handling. I however only point and shoot when I'm running my trucks hard. Not into slaloms with it because its a truck. The big issues I have with my 1/2 is the rear suspension is soft with my 5,500 lb boat and trailer and the brakes suck. I'd never tow over 6,000 with out good trailer brakes on that truck. No way it would last. When my trailer brakes were not working that truck showed it. Didn't have a 6.2 to compare though. Maybe they come with better brakes and a better rear suspension.

Where I'm with the comparison of the 5.3 and 6.2 is most people with a 5.3 have a 40K sticker truck and most people who buy a 6.2 have a 52K+ sticker truck. Soo for most people to go from a 40K truck to get the little extra power they have to jump up quite a bit. At that point I would just jump more and get a DMax. The 6.2 doesn't give me a better truck in any other way then acceleration. For most drivers it's not worth the cash. If I was someone who really loved power, pulling holeshots with a trailer and didn't care about spending the money 52K+ sticker on a 1/2 ton I'd skip to a D Max. Get a program and you have a great fuel mileage, reliable monster of a truck. Something the 1/2 ton 6.2 could never be on a realistic modding budget. Not to mention the resale is WAYYY better on a DMax then a 6.2 if you someone who changes trucks a lot.

I understand nobody pays sticker. That said nobody with a 40K sticker truck does either. I owned a 13 I bought new that stickered for 40K and paid 24K out the door. I would have had to chip in an extra 13K or so to get a 6.2 after rebates. 13K for that little gain in better acceleration wasn't enough for me. 5.3 is a better bang for your buck. 13K buys a nice side by side.

I just built a base 1500 ltz 4x4 crew cab sb with a 6.2l 8 speed and max towing for $46,757 after rebates. The same configuration in an lt with a 5.3l max towing is $40,892 after the same rebates. So it's only $5,865 difference. A 2016 2500hd 4x4 crew cab base lt with only the package you have to get to get the duramax was $52,560 after rebates which is $11,668 more than the ltz 1500, and $5,803 more than the 6.2l 1500. These are actual numbers off their build and price option on their website. The gap to get the 6.2 isn't that bad, and a lot cheaper than getting a duramax.

You can build a base/wt duramax with upgraded radio with xm, convenience pkg, bed lights and roof marker lights for $49,600. That still has chrome bumpers and carpeted floor.

You can build a base/wt duramax with upgraded radio with xm, convenience pkg, bed lights and roof marker lights for $49,600. That still has chrome bumpers and carpeted floor.

I know but I was keeping it an apples to apples with them both being LT equipped.

I know because I'm one of those guys my next truck will have the 6.2.

The 5.3 is okay... and that's it. I came from the Hemi that was at 395 HP and this 355 HP is a bit different. Truck stickered at 47k so I guess 50k wouldn't have been that bad.

Archived