'17 Camaro V6 1LE or V8 1LE - Which Would You Choose?

Gorehamj

post-139450-0-48565100-1455116031_thumb.jpg

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
2/10/2016

Having had the opportunity to drive the ZL1, Z/28, SS, and 1LE versions of the prior generation of Camaro on the track and on the road, my overall favorite remains the ZL1. However, when price is factored in, the 1LE would be my choice for a track-day Camaro. During one track session, I had the chance to have a Chevy engineer in my passenger seat offering driving tips. His personal vehicle was a 1LE he bought new for less than $34K off a dealer lot. Not everyone got that deal, but they were out there.

The 1LE is the track-package for the Camaro. In years past it was applied to V8 Camaros (1SS). That will continue in 2017 on the new generation. On the 1SS, the 1LE package includes magnetic ride control, with a new FE4 suspension tuning and a new, segment-exclusive electronic limited slip differential (eLSD), and Goodyear Eagle F1 tires. Optional features will include Recaro seats and a Performance Data Recorder (PDR).

post-139450-0-40064400-1455116179_thumb.jpg

Interestingly, Chevy is offering a 1LE package on the 3.6-liter V6 equipped 1LT and 2LT coupes this year. The magnetic ride control is not part of the V6 deal. Instead, the cars get aggressive suspension tuning, standard Brembo brakes and Goodyear Eagle F1 tires. The Recaro seats and PDR will be options. See the full equipment list below.

post-139450-0-61705200-1455116222_thumb.jpg

I have a Cadillac CTS4 with the 3.6-liter V6 in my driveway as I write this. It is an excellent on-road engine in cars the weight of the Camaro. I have great respect for that engine and depending upon price levels the 1LE package with the V6 may be a very interesting car. Still, it would be hard to imagine adding a track-capable suspension to a new Camaro given the affordability of the V8 in this car. On the other hand, Al Oppenheiser, Camaro chief engineer says that “In our development tests, the V-6 Camaro 1LE delivers lap times comparable with the previous-gen V-8 model.” This is mostly due to the under-3500 pound weight of the V6 car.

What say you GM-trucks people? Would you consider a 2017 V6 1LE if it is as fast as a last-generation V8 1LE?

Image Notes: Green car is the V6. Black car is the V8.

V6 LT 1LE Package:

◾3.6L V-6 rated at 335 horsepower and matched with the six-speed manual transmission
◾FE3 suspension components (from the Camaro SS), including dampers, rear cradle mounts, ball-jointed rear toe links and stabilizer bars
◾Lightweight 20-inch forged aluminum wheels with Goodyear Eagle F1 245/40R20 front tires and 275/35R20 rear tires
◾Brembo 4-piston front brake calipers
◾Mechanical Limited-slip differential with 3.27 ratio
◾Standard track-cooling package, with engine oil, differential and transmission coolers
◾Suede steering wheel and shorter-throw shifter
◾Standard dual mode exhaust system
◾Camaro SS fuel system for higher-load cornering capability
◾Satin black hood, front splitter and unique three-piece rear spoiler
◾Unique high flow upper and lower grille with satin black accents
◾Available Recaro seats and PDR video/data recording system.

V8 SS 1LE Package:

◾6.2L LT1 V-8 rated at 455 horsepower, and six-speed manual transmission (automatic transmission not available)
◾Magnetic Ride Control
◾Segment-exclusive electronic limited-slip differential with 3.73 ratio
◾Unique forged aluminum wheels with 285/30ZR20 front tires and 305/30ZR20 rear tires
◾Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar tires with a compound and construction developed exclusively for the Camaro – offering exceptional grip on the track
◾Brembo brakes with new six-piston monobloc front red calipers – featuring the 1LE logo – and two-piece rotors. Measuring 14.6 inches (370mm) in diameter, the front rotors are 7 percent larger than Camaro SS
◾Track-cooling package, with engine oil, differential and transmission coolers
◾Suede steering wheel with shorter-throw shifter
◾Dual mode exhaust system
◾Recaro front seats with aggressive bolsters optimized for shifting and steering comfort
◾Satin black hood, front mirrors and unique three-piece rear spoiler
◾Satin Graphite front splitter and rear diffuser
◾Available PDR video/data recording system.

Honestly? V8. They basically picked and pulled tech from the Gen5 ZL1 and slapped it on the SS and called it 1LE.

However...

“In our development tests, the V-6 Camaro 1LE delivers lap times comparable with the previous-gen V-8 model."

THAT...is impressive...

Really, either way you slice it, the 6th Gen Camaro has got to be one of it not the best bargains on the market, and they haven't even shown all their cards yet.

Honestly, they are making their own Stingray (not the Z06 though) look bad. Which...means room for improvement for team Corvette!

Oh...and that green... :drool::drool::drool:

most of these options were offered on the Gen 5 1LE and that car shattered all expectations in every review I read. the Gen 5 cost was only 3,500 so if they keep it anywhere near that it is one hell of a bargain! Seriously considering this for my next car, had my heart set on a Z51 Stingray but the price, performance and back seats of the 6 Gen SS 1LE are so tempting! 1LE also isn't a new thing, it existed on the 3rd and 4th Gen, just very rare back then

I want a V8 just for the sound alone.

You haven't had a chance to hear mine with the Kook's headers and CORSA system have you Daryl?

Oh BTW....Justin just scheduled a tune meet for us (I need to get the new Silverado done)

http://www.blackbearperformance.com/calendar.asp

You haven't had a chance to hear mine with the Kook's headers and CORSA system have you Daryl?

Oh BTW....Justin just scheduled a tune meet for us (I need to get the new Silverado done)

http://www.blackbearperformance.com/calendar.asp

No I haven't. I keep wanting to get out there and visit, but it never happens. I wanted to get my truck tuned this spring too, but now I'm laid off so the more costly mods are going to be harder to get done. Ugh!

most of these options were offered on the Gen 5 1LE and that car shattered all expectations in every review I read. the Gen 5 cost was only 3,500 so if they keep it anywhere near that it is one hell of a bargain! Seriously considering this for my next car, had my heart set on a Z51 Stingray but the price, performance and back seats of the 6 Gen SS 1LE are so tempting! 1LE also isn't a new thing, it existed on the 3rd and 4th Gen, just very rare back then

As much as I want a new Z51 Stingray as well,I'm having too much fun modding and driving my 5th gen Camaro!

I just don't think I would have as much fun with a new 'Vette,I mean I really don't know what I would even do to it "mod-wise", I wouldn't want to touch the factory dual-mode exhaust,or put headers on it,and I wouldn't want to bother the factory suspension either (especially if I got the magnetic ride control)

No I haven't. I keep wanting to get out there and visit, but it never happens. I wanted to get my truck tuned this spring too, but now I'm laid off so the more costly mods are going to be harder to get done. Ugh!

Well let me know if you plan on coming out for this one,If so I'll make sure I have the Camaro there (as long as its not raining! LOL!)

Well let me know if you plan on coming out for this one,If so I'll make sure I have the Camaro there (as long as its not raining! LOL!)

Lol! Will do. I'm actually trying to figure out a way to get it done as we speak. Not very confident it'll happen though honestly.

Honestly? V8. They basically picked and pulled tech from the Gen5 ZL1 and slapped it on the SS and called it 1LE.

However...

THAT...is impressive...

Really, either way you slice it, the 6th Gen Camaro has got to be one of it not the best bargains on the market, and they haven't even shown all their cards yet.

Honestly, they are making their own Stingray (not the Z06 though) look bad. Which...means room for improvement for team Corvette!

Oh...and that green... :drool::drool::drool:

Agreed,wait 'til the ZL1 or Z/28 com out!!! That's what I'm waiting for,might just have to trade my 5th gen in for one!

I'd pick a '16 Silverado.

I'll take one of each, thank you.

Archived