unrealistic to expect redesign for 2018 Silverado?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You guys are hilarious. I might skip the 18 and go back in time. Just do a ground up restore on my 1986 F-150, straight 6, 3 speed, 4 barrel carb, long tube headers. Yup, it's sittin out in the barn just waiting to be resurrected. Who needs all that shifting anyway.

2018 is the year. Contract with Alcoa has been signed. The days of letting a vehicle rot on the vine are long gone. GM let the GMT900's rot on the vine and we seen how that worked out. Had to turn to rebates selling trucks instead of the product selling the truck. The market place changes too fast and is too competitive. The current generation shops around. The loyal head in the sand buyers that buy just for a trucks name are dying off.

If that is the case we should start seeing mules running around in camo for a reveal later this year (start of next year) and then an on sale date in next fall. Anyone seen any mules running around with a current modified body on them?

I bet it will be 2019, 2018 is 4 years, much too short, I can't think of anything that does a 4 year cycle complete over haul. Even 5 I thought would be pushing it but it looks that way.

Tyler

If that is the case we should start seeing mules running around in camo for a reveal later this year (start of next year) and then an on sale date in next fall. Anyone seen any mules running around with a current modified body on them?

I bet it will be 2019, 2018 is 4 years, much too short, I can't think of anything that does a 4 year cycle complete over haul. Even 5 I thought would be pushing it but it looks that way.

Tyler

Where does GM do their testing. I saw a number of the new F-150's here in MI well before they started selling them. A group of em would always be hanging out at a McD's overflow parking lot I'd pass going to work.

Absolutely realistic to expect a redesign.

Will be interesting to see what the 2018 Silverado will end up being. But its looking like aluminum's going to be a large part of it. It's no secret as already mentioned, that GM has contracts with Alcoa and Novelis. There's also a huge expansion in Lewisport Kentucky by Aleris which I'm told is for the Silverado. Aleris is the 3rd supplier of aluminum at about 9% for P552 (Ford F-150).

I'm hoping the 2018 GM will be at least be all aluminum with a super charged V6 option. Sound familiar? I also wonder what a 2018 F-150 will have to offer. I'm thinking by then the steel frame will be replaced with aluminum and likely a diesel option. Oil's not going to stay at $30 a barrel forever.

'18 is to soon for a complete redesign.

It's about right for a 'mid-cycle refresh'.

Um, '16 WAS the mid-cycle refresh. Here's why there will be a complete redesign in 2018 (as a 2019 model):

• The current trucks were in dealerships in mid-2013 (MO 2014)
  • Gas is the lowest it's EVER been when adjusted for inflation (average price in 1918 would be $3.37 today)
  • Truck and SUV sales are way up
  • 5 years is an eternity in the auto manufacturing industry
  • Ford and Ram are outpacing GM already
  • The economy is much different than it was in 2008.

The new truck will be on dealer lots in 2018.

Um, '16 WAS the mid-cycle refresh. Here's why there will be a complete redesign in 2018 (as a 2019 model):

• The current trucks were in dealerships in mid-2013 (MO 2014)
  • Gas is the lowest it's EVER been when adjusted for inflation (average price in 1918 would be $3.37 today)
  • Truck and SUV sales are way up
  • 5 years is an eternity in the auto manufacturing industry
  • Ford and Ram are outpacing GM already
  • The economy is much different than it was in 2008.

The new truck will be on dealer lots in 2018.

Um, Dodge (it will always be dodge) hasn't had a complete redesign since 09 (just a face lift). The F150 was just done after its last complete redesign. Seems 5 years is about average lately for the Ford and Dodge a little longer. 4 would be too soon (2018 MY), but if those are saying come out late 2018 as a 2019 MY I could see that. You never know, just thought we would be seeing rough mules running around if a reveal was less than a year away as a MY 2018...

Tyler

Spring of 2018 as a 19 will be 5 years from spring of 13 when production of the 14's started. That's almost 100% certain to be start date....that way you hit peak sales season with a new model and a normal inventory level.

Archived