unrealistic to expect redesign for 2018 Silverado?

I have never owned new and plan on purchasing but not for couple years. I loved look of 14-15 silverado but hate the 16 front end. I have owned nothing but gm all my life but really like the current ram 1500. Much better looking than 2016 silverado in my opinion. However im thinking by the time im ready to purchase silverado and ram will both have redesigns. If I hate both I may have to look at last year model of current ram 1500 or possibly gmc sierra.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would think 18 would be the year with the f150 out already being aluminum they are going to get their truck out there as fast as possible.As far as mules they are probably out their just look like the 16's testing out aluminum panels and frames and powertrains we just don't know it because it looks like a 16.You just won't see any that will look like their new body style yet.All the manufactures have been doing that for years for example you could see a 15 Camaro driving down the road and think nothing of it but it might have the complete drive train of a 2020 Camaro you never know

• 2 months later...

I'm hoping 18 will be the year. The 1968 was a 50th anniversary truck, so it would only make sense that they would try to take advantage of the 100th anniversary milestone as well.

Great point! You can be sure the 100th anniversary will come with at least a very special edition!

A new grill after 2 years is not a mid cycle refresh.

(but I liked it enough to dump the 15)

Much, much more was changed than just the grille, hence why it is and was the mid-cycle refresh. Grilles, headlights, HID headlights, LED headlights and tail lights, Apple Carplay/Android Auto with next gen MyLink/Intellilink, etc. 2016 was the MCE, new truck for 2018/2019.

There is already a new topic section discussing the new design

Ryan

Yea, but this thread was started 3 months ago, it just got revived. :cheers:

I wouldn't be surprised since people no a days seem to get bored over a design way more quickly than they used to. I remember when I was young they would keep truck body styles for around 10 years with only minor changes throughout that time. Now people get bored and tired of a design after a couple years. I'm talking about brands across the bored, not just GM. So auto makers are having to keep up with the consumer and spend more money just to redesign because people complain about them not changing things up after 3 years. I think another reason and probably the bigger reason is also because more people are leasing so when their lease ends they want a new design to start a new lease so they feel like they're getting something new.

Historically a major change in body styling happens every 7 years or so. So in regards to your question I wouldn't expect any major overhauls till at least 2020...Give it time, we are just now getting into the 4th generation of this current style. What do you like or don't like about the current trucks?

^ Where are you getting that info? All indications from GM press releases say a 10 spd auto that was a joint venture with Ford will be used in the next 1/2 ton. Same transmission is supposed to be in 2017 Ford Raptor.

^ Where are you getting that info? All indications from GM press releases say a 10 spd auto that was a joint venture with Ford will be used in the next 1/2 ton. Same transmission is supposed to be in 2017 Ford Raptor.

I pulled it out of my ass, I wouldn't be surprised as the EPA keeps raising the MPG requirement by manufacturer. Plus if oil keeps climbing, they may have no choice. They are already trying to use 10 speeds because truck buyers are hesitant about CVT technology/durability. They will most likely cut as much weight as possible though in all seriousness, aluminum frame... Maybe they should one up Ford and build a carbon fiber frame.

Carbon fiber frame won't rust, easy to repair, stronger than aluminium, lighter, and you just unbolt the frame piece and bolt the new one in if you ever need repairs. See BMW I3 as example.

I doubt we will see a major redesign soon, 2021 given the 7 year pace. Fenders and front end changes along with new tail lights etc until then

Although switching to aluminum wouldn't require a model year change I don't think assuming it won't flex given the current design

Yeah the car enthusiast are up and down about CVTs but you can't deny the mpg gains seen vs the standard automatic transmission. I haven't really seen or heard much about CVT applications in regards to more heavy duty applications and towing. I would think if a CVT could be applied, you'd already see them in semi trucks by now if they aren't already, but I haven't researched the issue much.

I pulled it out of my ass, I wouldn't be surprised as the EPA keeps raising the MPG requirement by manufacturer. Plus if oil keeps climbing, they may have no choice. They are already trying to use 10 speeds because truck buyers are hesitant about CVT technology/durability. They will most likely cut as much weight as possible though in all seriousness, aluminum frame... Maybe they should one up Ford and build a carbon fiber frame.

Carbon fiber frame won't rust, easy to repair, stronger than aluminium, lighter, and you just unbolt the frame piece and bolt the new one in if you ever need repairs. See BMW I3 as example.

Archived