In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
Meangreenchevy

Radio upgrade from factory i0b

Meangreenchevy any updates? Did you get the dealer update?

• Like 1

Ok I work at a chevy dealership you have to take it in, get them to call tcsc I'll get number for you later, they have to reprogram the hmi and radio. Tcsc will send info over the Internet and download the correct rpo (uvc) and rpo (rwr). Install the new camera and handle if needed. Did mine today works great!!! It's for the IOB radio

• Like 2

GCH Automotive designed navigation solution for the IOB 7". They also offer a camera module that will do the reverse and side cameras as well. its a pretty cool piece. I was able to contact them and get ahold of a sample piece I bought. It wasnt too bad on the price. And did exactly what they said.

MFulton,

Really interested in doing this back up camera. Just bought a 16 GMC Elevation a couple weeks ago. Can you provide the part numbers you bought, which I am guessing is the handle with camera and a harness.

Mine has the locking tailgate. Thanks for the help. Really appreciate it. I've been researching this practically since I brought the truck home. Scott

Well I installed the 23363727 Camera. After talking to several local dealers, 1 had at least heard of what I was talking about and gave it a try, they were unable to successfully download anything to the i0b radio for camera. Any help appreciated. Thanks Scott

Edited by Walleyecatcher

Hey guys- this is my first post on this forum. So after doing tons of research I had no luck on installing a backup cam to my IOB. But I found this (link attached below), and ordered it. A little pricey but not bad for factory parts. Install was an absolute breeze! They give you a tailgate handle with the camera, and the new module to place behind the screen. If you have any questions feel free to email me.

[email protected]

http://www.oemautopartsco.com/products/factory-gm-tailgate-backup-camera-kit-for-option-code-iob

• Like 1

I have a 2016 2500HD with the I0B (basic radio), but it does have factory backup camera. Anyway I've been surfing the net for some time....have not come across any OEM upgrade options for this specific setup which is base radio with 7 inch screen. Seems you may be stuck with this radio for life or have to go aftermarket.

Edited by Elbert

Elbert you just gave me hope. you have a 2016 with a working I0B backup camera. Are you comfortable providing me the last 8 numbers of the vin? I think I can get there with it. If you would prefer to contact me privately that will work too. Thanks for the help. Scott

Elbert - check these guys out too:

https://www.gm-navigation.com/gm-navs/chevrolet-navigations/

My dealer just ordered an upgrade kit for my 2016 sierra 1500 base. I haven't had it installed yet, but they should have a kit that'll do what you need. Hard to get them on the phone, but you can leave a vm or shoot them a text for a quick response.

Hi all. I have a 2016 GMC Sierra 2500 with the IOB radio option. I have recently had the rear vision camera installed and programming done by a GM dealer. Everything is working as it should. The biggest problem I have had was finding a dealer willing to try to do this upgrade. I contacted several dealers before I found one willing to call TCSC to find out if the upgrade was possible. Most dealers would call Partech looking for an accessory kit which apparently does not exist. The dealership that did the installation had not performed this upgrade before but things went relatively smoothly. There was a $50.00 charge from TCSC for changing the vehicle configuration and they provided a file to program the vehicle with. They installed a new tailgate handle and camera and then reprogrammed. This took about an hour. Part number for the handle: 84016231 and the camera: 84062896. Some settings in the radio were lost but were easily re-entered. Hope my experience helps.

I have put so much research into this before buying my 2017 Elevation Edition Sierra 1500. IOB 7in radio installed. The truck was a good deal but no backup camera. I finally found this through another forum and searching on google. I will be purchasing it once I receive my tax return. Looks to be an extremely easy setup and alternative for anyone else looking.

http://www.infotainment.com/products/factory-gm-tailgate-backup-camera-kit-for-option-code-iob

BOOM, I installed the infotainment.com system (OEMAUTO) It works great. I'm no techy, but this is an easy swap out. Just make sure you have a nice small plastic pry bar (interior tool) big Thanks to DylanWagner

DDDylan WagnerDylin

On 11/14/2016 at 2:12 AM, Dylan Wagner said:

Hey guys- this is my first post on this forum. So after doing tons of research I had no luck on installing a backup cam to my IOB. But I found this (link attached below), and ordered it. A little pricey but not bad for factory parts. Install was an absolute breeze! They give you a tailgate handle with the camera, and the new module to place behind the screen. If you have any questions feel free to email me.

[email protected]

http://www.oemautopartsco.com/products/factory-gm-tailgate-backup-camera-kit-for-option-code-iob

Dylinwagner, did you have XM or did it give you xm radio I see you have the antenna port 

IMG_4661.JPG

Edited by frankinbus
Add picture

I too have the 2016 GMC Sierra Elevation and want to get the backup camera.  I've been looking at the Infotainment system for $500 also.  What exactly are you swapping out the IOB for, an IOS6?  

Because of my warranty I'd really like to stay with OEM.  I'm also concerned about swapping out the IOB and causing changes to my Onstar, XM, Bluetooth, etc.  I have auto locking tailgate also.  What problems does this cause?  GM Upfitters in bulletin 127 states: 

"For 2016-17 model year vehicles use camera P/N 23244435 or a compatible after-market camera*

For 2015-2017 w/o RPO UVC or 5F9 with ZW9: 

Activation of the Rear Vision Feature will require a reprogramming procedure by a GM Service Center of either the radio or the Human Machine Interface (HMI) module. For vehicles equipped with the radio options IO3 or IOB, the radio will need to be reprogrammed. For vehicles equipped with the IO4, IO5 or IO6 radio options, the HMI module will need to be reprogrammed. The radio/module reprogramming should be completed PRIOR to mounting the camera, as the display will need to be activated in order to obtain a good rearview display coverage area. Dealers should contact TCSC to have a special Rear Vision Camera option (RWR) added to the vehicle’s configuration index (VCI). RWR is a special option/calibration developed especially for adding a rear camera to a vehicle with a service body. Once the VCI is updated, reprogram the appropriate module based on the radio option code. "

According to this you you only need to get the camera 23244435, install it in the tailgate latch, and have the radio reprogrammed.  Has anyone done this?  For those of you that did the Infotainment system, do you like it?

Edited by Shovelshort