In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
targetpanic

Tire load rating/performance question

Quick question guys. My RC 2.5" Level kit (with rear block) arrived yesterday and is being installed on Friday. I have 18" wheels. I am probably going to leave the crappy SRAs on there for the time being, assuming it doesn't look foolish. However, if I were to put a new tire on they will be either BFG AT KO2, Nitto TG G2, or General Grabber AT2. I know a lot of you guys are running 275/70/18 with no problems.

My question is more in the performance (mpg) and tire wear. Would I be better off with a LT275/70/18 E load 10 ply tire 57.5# each or a 265/70/18 SL 4 ply tire 43# each. There is only about 3/4" difference in tire height.

Would the 10 ply wear better? Would the 4 ply give me a substantial better mpg? The last set of tires I had on my F150 were the Gen Grabber AT2 10 ply and they had 40,000 on them and looked like new still compares to the Cooper AT3 I had on there before that which were pretty much junk after 45,000 miles. I wasn't sure if the better wear was due to being a 10ply tire???