3 groove or 4 groove pitman arm?

• 2 months later...

Thanks davester! The only reason I was asking on the idler arm was because Rockauto lists idler arms that go with either the 3 or 4 groove.

I pulled the trigger on a complete MOOG front end rebuild, and gambled on the 3 groove pitman. In the mail is:

(2) Upper Control Arms

(2) Lower Ball Joints

(2) Outer Tie Rod Ends

(2) Inner Tie Rod Ends

(1) Pitman Arm (3 groove)

(1) Idler Arm

(1) Idler Arm Bracket Assembly

Where did you buy the whole set? or did you just piece it together.

Or see a dealer and ask. If you get a non-idiot at the parts dept., they should be able to give you the GM part number you need, and you can cross-match it to whatever brands the parts store has.

With or without a VIN, the pitman arm and idler are listing give both options (3 or 4 spline) in the GM EPC. Can verify from various VINs over the years including the ones from my 04 and 06.

Edited by 15HDriver

• 3 years later...

Sorry to bump an old topic, but I'm checking in on here for the pitman groove question and also want to make sure I'm good with my upper arm control arms.  I'm doing a 13 piece replacement on my steering/front end suspension for the 2004 Sierra 2500HD SLT I picked up a couple weeks ago.  Looking to do:

(2) Tie Rod End outer Moog ES3609

(2) Tie Rod End inner Moog ES3488

(2) Lower Ball Joints Moog K6693

(2) Sway Bars Moog K80631

(1) Idler Arm Moog K6535HD

(1) Idler Arm Bracket K6723

I'm thinking the Pitman Arm is the Moog K6654HD (3 spline).  It seems most are 3 groove for the 2500HD.  Like the OP said, I can always order both but would rather not.

Secondly, I'm looking to do the Upper Control Arms with Ball Joints using Moog CK620053.  The truck does have a lift to it (standard sized tires) but it's not much of a lift (I'd have to go look but it's probably just a minimal 4" (it may be 6"...hard to tell, I'm short so I have to clamber in regardless of height).  It appears that the CK620053 would work well with a little lift since there is an extra 2 degrees of camber adjustment.

Would love any thoughts or feedback.  Also, any other parts other than the Idler Arm and Pitman Arm that I should consider for the HD?  I keep looking over the list and am going cross-eyed making sure I'm ordering the right parts.  

Thank you, in advance, for the help!

Edited by ladyjenren

• 9 months later...

Sorry to keep resurrecting this thread but, I feel bad making a new post. Just got a new to me 2004 Silverado 2500LD Extended Cab Short box that just rolled over 200k km's. Did a pre purchase inspection and the truck is solid with the exception of the left lower ball joint, idler and pitman arm being worn. Fair enough it's got 200,000 on it.

How has the Moog parts held up over time, I'm thinking of going this direction. Would you have rather gone with OEM, ACDelco or Mevotech? 

In the inspection they said BOTH idler arms were worn AND the pitman. To my understanding and what I've researched, there is only one idler arm? 

If anyone could help me out it would be greatly appreciated! 

• 1 month later...

There is only one pitman arm and one idler arm in the trucks. Also the hd trucks should have the 3 grove and the 1500 trucks should have 4 grove. That being said that’s not always the case. But I have a 07 classic hd and I have the 3 grove. Now as far as parts. If I could have any parts regardless of money I would go with kryptonite full steering package. Their tie rods, pitman arm idler arm idle pivot center arm everything. That being said I currently just replaced a lot of the components but currently funds were extremely tight but it was driving me crazy so I went to rock auto and bought the cheapest parts they hd for a replacement. Like pitman arm for like 15 bucks and idle arm was like 12 bucks that cheap. So far they seem to be holding up

Well and I’m running 315/75/17. Now I do plan on replacing them with kryptonite parts in the future. Also they make a brace kit for the trucks and from what I have read it’s makes a huge difference in how the parts hold up Over time