In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

High pressure fuel pump leaking oil

2015 Sierra crew 4x4 All Terrain 7200 miles. After about 1000 miles I would occasionally smell burning oil when coming to a stop. At first figured it can't be my new truck, has to be some other car near me. After smelling it enough times to realize it is my new truck I took it in to the shop.

They called me today to arrange a loaner car. HPF is leaking oil and has to be replaced. Had everything torn down to the intake manifold when I went by to get some gear out of my truck. No fuel pumps available in the area, will overnight one tomorrow and hopefully have it back together this Monday.

FWIW the tech said he'd never seen one do this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I talked to a parts guy in the local GMC dealership and he said that lately they have seen a lot of high pressure fuel pumps (in the DI engines) fail in various GM vehicles. He was not specific about the trucks. So apparently this is not a rare problem for GM.

Here is one case on an Equinox:

http://general-motors.pissedconsumer.com/high-pressure-fuel-pump-failure-on-2011-equinox-20140722513516.html

Edited by pm26

Turns out the pump was fine. I must have misunderstood the service manager. It was the gasket that was bad. Must have been an assembly defect. Got the truck back yesterday and all seems fine so far. They also drained the 1/2 quart of oil they overfilled a couple weeks ago at my oil change.