Concealed Carry Permit Tests

What a f'ing joke! Finally received my permit after 77 days and they screwed up my address. They transposed 2 numbers on the zip code on my permit so it's technically not legal as the address doesn't exist. They just reuse the same permit number as before so my class 2 permit no longer exists. I was just upgrading from a class 2 to a class 1 so I could carry in more states now I can't even carry in my own. I called them and they said I need to send in the permit with a note explaining the issue and they will send a new one in 1-2 weeks.

Edited by wurgs

What a f'ing joke! Finally received my permit after 77 days and they screwed up my address. They transposed 2 numbers on the zip code on my permit so it's technically not legal as the address doesn't exist. They just reuse the same permit number as before so my class 2 permit no longer exists. I was just upgrading from a class 2 to a class 1 so I could carry in more states now I can't even carry in my own. I called them and they said I need to send in the permit with a note explaining the issue and they will send a new one in 1-2 weeks.

Lucky you. Your wait will be as long as mine when all said and done. Im in week 7 of about a 12-13 week background check period. Even think i saw a black Suburban and white panel van with about 4 antennae outside. My luck, ill get a call to visit the woman with a rubber glove
  • Like 2

Oregon requires either passing a written test (also available online) or proof of competency. My USPSA card with classification was enough. Applications must be submitted in person for fingerprinting and ID picture.

Washington is just payment and fingerprinting.

In NC, you have to do an 8 hour class room instruction with a certified CHP instructor (covering firearms safety and laws--taught from the NC red book), range qualification to prove firearms proficiency. Then in separate processing, you have to apply for the CHP, pay the $90 fee and get fingerprinted. This will encompass getting background checks, mental health etc.

CarGuru, Did NC recently get stricter on CCW ?

I don't recall it being that tough and it has reciprocity agreements with states that require little or no Quals.

eg: PA

Good news is I passed easily and sent off packet to the BCI. Bad news is although by state law they are supposed to have your permit to you in 60 days they have been averaging 2 1/2 months. Wonder how a state agency gets away with not following state law?

It's like the CCW permit apps for non LE, in places like NJ, NY, Kali, MD, Mass, RI, MI, IL, in that they are "shall issue" or discretionary issue dependent on a "reasonable reason" (haha) for issue.

Application gets denied or lost under someone's pizza box for 9 months or indef.

CarGuru, Did NC recently get stricter on CCW ?

I don't recall it being that tough and it has reciprocity agreements with states that require little or no Quals.

eg: PA

It hasn't gotten any stricter. The "progressives" keep pushing more requirement hoops such as more mental health checks and stuff. Those are offset somewhat with recent changes in the laws in favor of the CC--such as uniform carry laws regarding state parks, allow restaurant carry, etc. They did crack down a few years back on some instructors that watered down the classroom time.

As far as reciprocity, I believe the last count is 36 states--some of these are more lax.

Constitutional carry bill also introduced, but we'll have to see where it goes.

• Like 1

It's like the CCW permit apps for non LE, in places like NJ, NY, Kali, MD, Mass, RI, MI, IL, in that they are "shall issue" or discretionary issue dependent on a "reasonable reason" (haha) for issue.

Application gets denied or lost under someone's pizza box for 9 months or indef.

The may issue states usually get kicked to local law enforcement. Mine went through my county sheriff. As long as i am a resident in my county, my permit is good in all of california. If i move to a different county i have to start a new procesa with their law enforcement
  • Like 1

Finally received my corrected permit. It was frustrating living in a border town as I couldn't carry across the river in MN. Now it's not a worry. There' a lot of bs you have to go through to get the class 1 permit but it has reciprocity in 40 states.

• Like 2

New Hampshire is $10 to the local PD and they have two weeks to issue it. No classes or other BS and that's how it should be. Michigan is shall issue but the libtard counties will do what they can to drag their feet. The way it goes here is you take a full day course with range time (usually $100-$150), get a little certificate. Go to the county clerk's office, fill out the application, get your photo and prints taken (the lib counties would make it so photographs and finger printing were only available like once a month, for a short period of the day). And then they had an indeterminate amount of time to approve, during which you might have to go before a "gun board" to be interviewed. Thankfully Jackson county is run by liberty-loving republicans and has a pro gun sheriff so I got mine promptly (for the state anyhow) and without the board interview. They've since eliminated the boards and put it all on the state police and set deadlines for processing to try and cut the liberal idiots in the Detroit area and in Grand Rapids out of the picture. But the payoff for all that crap is Michigan's permit is one of the most widely honored when you travel. No matter as in half a month I'll be back in NH.

• Like 1

Illinois ccl holder here, class, range assessment, background check, then you're good to go to protect yourself against the Chicago lowlifes...

The closer you get to the city the more gun free stores you see. I don't give them my business if I have other options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Waterfowler41
  • Like 2

Finally received my corrected permit. It was frustrating living in a border town as I couldn't carry across the river in MN. Now it's not a worry. There' a lot of bs you have to go through to get the class 1 permit but it has reciprocity in 40 states.

If i want 40 states i need to get both my arozona and utah permits.

If i want 40 states i need to get both my arozona and utah permits.

That's the way it used to be in ND until other states started to drop reciprocity with us. It just used to be about hour of class time and an open book test to get permit here and then most would get Utah permit to carry in most other states. A couple years back they started to offer a more intensive class with shooting proficency test for a class 1 permit which most states now honor

Oregon requires either passing a written test (also available online) or proof of competency. My USPSA card with classification was enough. Applications must be submitted in person for fingerprinting and ID picture.

Washington is just payment and fingerprinting.

What sucks is that Idaho recognizes Oregon concealed permits, but they don't ours. PITA when I want to take a weapon to our cabin in OR. Ammo and weapon cannot be in the same area of your vehicle. I will not open carry while traveling there....