Concealed Carry Permit Tests

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

In Kansas, adults may purchase and openly carry firearms in public without a permit. In April 2015, new legislation was passed that also permits the concealed carry of firearms without a license.

Concealed carry licenses will still be issued by the State of Kansas for those who want them, but are no longer required. The availability of the licenses cannot be construed to prohibit the carrying of handguns without a license, whether carried openly or concealed.

Despite the new law, it remains illegal for anyone under the age of 21 to carry a concealed firearm – unless you are on your own land, in your own house, or at your fixed place of business.

While a concealed carry license is no longer required as of July 1, 2015, Kansas will continue to issue licenses for those who desire one. The new law does not eliminate the current concealed carry permit process; instead it removes the licensing barrier for those residents who wish to carry within the state. The Attorney General of Kansas will still issue concealed carry licenses to people who meet certain requirements. To qualify for a concealed handgun license, you must:

• be at least 21 years old
  • be a resident of the county where the application is made
  • complete a firearms safety training course (if I recall it was 8 hours)
  • pass a written exam covering local and state laws, basic firearm safety and function
  • complete proficiency testing at the range (5 yards, 10 yards & 25 yards) - range targets kept on file
  • be eligible under state and federal law to possess a firearm determined by a full background check
  • provide fingerprints, 2x2 photo and fees to the Sheriff's Department and Kansas Attorney General

Yours truly,

'Merica

• Like 1

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT be infringed."

Being required to take any sort of a test is infringement, without question but they somehow get away with it. There is no requirement or any type testing standards in place to allow the people to exercise any other rights and there never will be.

The testing and whatever else certain States force people to do can be credited to the liberal politicians stomping on our 2nd Amendment rights over the years. They will continue to do their best to tramp on the entire Constitution and only cite it when it is to their benefit.

For the last several years liberal politicians have been attempting to restrict our rights even more and want to abolish them all together, this can not happen! Our 2nd Amendment is the only thing keeping us a free people and that's what these politicians hate, that's why they want to put their people in place to get rid of it.

If you haven't already done so, join the NRA. It's the largest and most powerful group that fights for our 2nd Amendment rights. The cost of membership isn't much and is well worth the few dollars.

It's not far fetched to believe gun confiscation is coming. It was done by force in New Orleans to all citizens when they were at their most vulnerable after a natural disaster. Their rights were trampled on, they were disarmed, left unarmed and helpless as they were being robbed and having their businesses looted. I was there, I witnessed it first hand and there were may of us LEO's who refused to take part and we were relieved of duty!

The military and private contractors were then involved, using force and breaking down doors without question. We can not allow this to happen, ever! It's been done on a small scale and they got away with it, a large scale confiscation can not be allowed.

For now, do what you have to do to get you carry license or permit. Learn how to use your firearms efficiently and stock up on ammo, you may need it!

Sent from my iPhone6

via TapaTalk

Hearing stuff like this always grinds my gears. Gun laws never stop the criminals from carrying out illegal activity with firearms. Enacting stupid laws only infringes on law-abiding Americans who have the right to carry under the United States Constitution. When will the lawmakers and courts get back down to earth and see such? The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is with a good guy with a gun.

Edited by MUDCVRD

Every time I buy a gun, I go through a simple background check. No big deal really. Except for the whole "Shall not be infringed " thing. And background checks are infringement. A CCW permit is a little more involved in NH. here you go to the police dept, fill out an application and give them ten dollars. They send letters to three references you provide on the application, and wait to hear back from them in the same manner, then they dig into your past with a fine tooth comb. Then if they have a question, they call you. In my case, a 20 year old issue that was minor at best. I had forgotten about it. I had to explain my side. Then the officer thanked me, hung up, and a week later I had my CCW in the mail. All this time I was thinking this. Shall not be infringed, and who the hell thinks this keeps the streets safer needs to pull their bottom lip over their head, and swallow.

The day Obama spoke about gun control just after Sandy Hook, I marched right down to the gun store, and bought my pistol. My second gun I have ever owned. A few months later, I got my second gun, a rifle. Liberals would call it an Assault rifle. And then I joined the NRA, bought a shot gun, and more ammo. While I have never really been into guns, I fully understand the importance of the second amendment, and why if we loose it, we can kiss our other rights goodby.

Most liberals look at the first verse "A well regulated Militia", while most conservatives look at the third," the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." I look at the middle portion, as it is why it is there. So we can keep America free from all enemies, both foreign, and domestic "being necessary to the security of a free State" It is about all three. Protection of self, country, and freedom. No other right is constantly attacked as the 2nd Amendment.

Edited by IMPALADAKID

Every time I buy a gun, I go through a simple background check. No big deal really. Except for the whole "Shall not be infringed " thing. And background checks are infringement. A CCW permit is a little more involved in NH. here you go to the police dept, fill out an application and give them ten dollars. They send letters to three references you provide on the application, and wait to hear back from them in the same manner, then they dig into your past with a fine tooth comb. Then if they have a question, they call you. In my case, a 20 year old issue that was minor at best. I had forgotten about it. I had to explain my side. Then the officer thanked me, hung up, and a week later I had my CCW in the mail. All this time I was thinking this. Shall not be infringed, and who the hell thinks this keeps the streets safer needs to pull their bottom lip over their head, and swallow.

The day Obama spoke about gun control just after Sandy Hook, I marched right down to the gun store, and bought my pistol. My second gun I have ever owned. A few months later, I got my second gun, a rifle. Liberals would call it an Assault rifle. And then I joined the NRA, bought a shot gun, and more ammo. While I have never really been into guns, I fully understand the importance of the second amendment, and why if we loose it, we can kiss our other rights goodby.

Most liberals look at the first verse "A well regulated Militia", while most conservatives look at the third," the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." I look at the middle portion, as it is why it is there. So we can keep America free from all enemies, both foreign, and domestic "being necessary to the security of a free State" It is about all three. Protection of self, country, and freedom. No other right is constantly attacked as the 2nd Amendment.

Your post reminded me of a few things. We in Kalifornia are being severely oppressed by our state government in the area of gun rights. This most recent act of infringement on the people, included a collection of laws prohibiting all kinds of things, including any of the detachable mag modern rifles, putting an end to the bullet button solution. In an act of blatant elitism, the state legislature exempted themselves from these laws. They evidently feel they know what's good for us, but will not stand for it themselves. There is a grassroots movement started by a San Diego businessman to petition these new laws to put them up for referendum. He needs something like 365,000 signatures by end of Sept to get it done.

The laws passed over a decade ago on handguns, requires testing and microstamping. The CA approved handgun roster does not even include any Colt brand 1911 guns. Some 1911 makers are still listed. But if they fail to renew annually, they drop off. Also, they will eventually reach an expiration, upon where they will have to incorporate all the "safety features" (mag disconnect, microstamping, loaded chamber indicator) and retest. There is one lawsuit pending appeal about this "approved list" law. It was ruled in favor of the state in the lower courts. The "approved roster" is shrinking.

If life hadn't tied me down to my current location, I would leave CA. But that's not an option for a few years until I can retire. I'm at the peak of my career at 60, and the pay is great and my retirement bennies will be great as well. Actually, my motives to move have more to do with hunting than this gun nonsense in CA. The CA gun nonsense is just another motivator in the list that's growing.

• Like 1

Your post reminded me of a few things. We in Kalifornia are being severely oppressed by our state government in the area of gun rights. This most recent act of infringement on the people, included a collection of laws prohibiting all kinds of things, including any of the detachable mag modern rifles, putting an end to the bullet button solution. In an act of blatant elitism, the state legislature exempted themselves from these laws. They evidently feel they know what's good for us, but will not stand for it themselves. There is a grassroots movement started by a San Diego businessman to petition these new laws to put them up for referendum. He needs something like 365,000 signatures by end of Sept to get it done.

The laws passed over a decade ago on handguns, requires testing and microstamping. The CA approved handgun roster does not even include any Colt brand 1911 guns. Some 1911 makers are still listed. But if they fail to renew annually, they drop off. Also, they will eventually reach an expiration, upon where they will have to incorporate all the "safety features" (mag disconnect, microstamping, loaded chamber indicator) and retest. There is one lawsuit pending appeal about this "approved list" law. It was ruled in favor of the state in the lower courts. The "approved roster" is shrinking.

If life hadn't tied me down to my current location, I would leave CA. But that's not an option for a few years until I can retire. I'm at the peak of my career at 60, and the pay is great and my retirement bennies will be great as well. Actually, my motives to move have more to do with hunting than this gun nonsense in CA. The CA gun nonsense is just another motivator in the list that's growing.

Thomas Jefferson later wrote this. It was found in the Jefferson Papers.

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

So when I look at this, and the fact that every major city that has gun control has the most crime. I come to the conclusion that Government is slowly chipping away at the 2nd Amendment so they can one day rule the people, instead of the people ruling the government.

I can honestly say our founding fathers would be shooting by now.

Anyone who seeks to establish gun control in the United States is an enemy of the State. They do not represent the people, nor do they obey their oath to protect, and uphold the constitution. Rights are not up for interpretation. What other right do you know that is controlled by the government, and they let you have table scraps of it so they can say they are not infringing on your right? The facts do not lie. Gun control of any type does not work. It makes the ignorant voter feel better, while chipping away at the very right that protects all other rights.

Edited by IMPALADAKID

This is greatly exaggerated. I've applied for carry permits in NH 3 times and been a reference at least a half dozen times and not once have I ever been contacted nor have any of my references ever been contacted. And they don't "dig into your past with a fine tooth comb". They run you through the exact same check system used when you buy a firearm. And in the end, they have two weeks to issue it. Aside from the states that don't require a permit, NH is as easy (and affordable) as it gets. In Michigan, it cost me about $300 all said and done, took one entire day of classes plus an hour at the courthouse to surrender my fingerprints to a computer database for the first time in my life and then it took at least a month to get the permit, maybe more.

This is greatly exaggerated. I've applied for carry permits in NH 3 times and been a reference at least a half dozen times and not once have I ever been contacted nor have any of my references ever been contacted. And they don't "dig into your past with a fine tooth comb". They run you through the exact same check system used when you buy a firearm. And in the end, they have two weeks to issue it. Aside from the states that don't require a permit, NH is as easy (and affordable) as it gets. In Michigan, it cost me about $300 all said and done, took one entire day of classes plus an hour at the courthouse to surrender my fingerprints to a computer database for the first time in my life and then it took at least a month to get the permit, maybe more.

Well, it is not exaggerated. You put three names on the paper, and all three get a questionnaire from the police dept. All three need to send the questionnaire back. If one is not sent back, or they answer questions wrong, it could at the very least delay the permit. And yes, I was contacted by the lieutenant over something that had happened many years prior to get my side of the story since he only could see the court's version.

But you are correct in that it is quite easy to get a CCW in NH, and cheap too. Wierd how the streets are not covered in blood like liberals would have you think.

Edited by IMPALADAKID

Well, it is not exaggerated. You put three names on the paper, and all three get a questionnaire from the police dept. All three need to send the questionnaire back. IAnd yes, I was contacted by the lieutenant over something that had happened many years prior to get my side of the story since he only could see the court's version.

I just moved back here after a few years in Michigan so this process was something I've gone through only a couple months ago. It isn't as drastic as you make it seem.

And I just said that I've applied for (and received) the permit 3 times and none of my references were ever contacted. I've never been contacted on the countless applications I've been listed as a reference on. And among my many other friends who have permits here, none have had references contacted or have been contacted as a reference. The officer who I met to pick mine up this time even said outright the background check is the same as you get at the gun store. Whatever happened in your past, no matter how minor is going to be on your record in most cases so that is hardly a surprise.

I just moved back here after a few years in Michigan so this process was something I've gone through only a couple months ago. It isn't as drastic as you make it seem.

And I just said that I've applied for (and received) the permit 3 times and none of my references were ever contacted. I've never been contacted on the countless applications I've been listed as a reference on. And among my many other friends who have permits here, none have had references contacted or have been contacted as a reference. The officer who I met to pick mine up this time even said outright the background check is the same as you get at the gun store. Whatever happened in your past, no matter how minor is going to be on your record in most cases so that is hardly a surprise.

Well, I can only tell you what happened to me. I had to put three names of people I know, who do not have felonies, and all three were sent a letter, all three mailed it back. The lieutenant contacted me. Asked my version of one thing on my record, and a few days later my CCW was in the mail. Everyone I know that has a CCW has done it that way. 2013 was the last time I did mine, maybe things have gotten more relaxed since, but that is my story, and I am sticking to it. I am on the seacoast, so more liberals here. Perhaps your area is more lenient.

Well, I can only tell you what happened to me. I had to put three names of people I know, who do not have felonies, and all three were sent a letter, all three mailed it back. The lieutenant contacted me. Asked my version of one thing on my record, and a few days later my CCW was in the mail. Everyone I know that has a CCW has done it that way. 2013 was the last time I did mine, maybe things have gotten more relaxed since, but that is my story, and I am sticking to it. I am on the seacoast, so more liberals here. Perhaps your area is more lenient.

Deerfield and now Northwood. Though I have a spotless record. My first time was 2007 and I got it less than 24 hours after dropping off the application. They even delivered it to the house! I asked a few other friends scattered around the area if they'd encountered anything like you did and they all said no. But that kind of inconsistency is probably to be expected since it's run by local PD's. One of the managers at work lives in a wealthy area on the MA border and they (in violation of state law) took his prints. When I told them he should report it to the state police he declined. I'd be pissed if they tried to pull that on me.

Deerfield and now Northwood. Though I have a spotless record. My first time was 2007 and I got it less than 24 hours after dropping off the application. They even delivered it to the house! I asked a few other friends scattered around the area if they'd encountered anything like you did and they all said no. But that kind of inconsistency is probably to be expected since it's run by local PD's. One of the managers at work lives in a wealthy area on the MA border and they (in violation of state law) took his prints. When I told them he should report it to the state police he declined. I'd be pissed if they tried to pull that on me.

That would piss me off. Why do you need my prints? You want my DNA to invoke my first Amendment rights? I would have contacted the State police. That is very illegal.

That would piss me off. Why do you need my prints? You want my DNA to invoke my first Amendment rights? I would have contacted the State police. That is very illegal.

You have never been in the state or federal system? Prints are needed to even be a real estate agent. If you have ever been a cop, military, or worked for the govt, your prints are in a federal database. So what is the big deal. The government is structured so individual atates can have separate laws. If one state want more regulations on a carry license, then they can. I live in California and I have a CHL. I followed their regulations and got it. Ive been in federal databases since i was 17, so i had nothing to worry about. It is not as scary and invasive as you guys complain about.

You have never been in the state or federal system? Prints are needed to even be a real estate agent. If you have ever been a cop, military, or worked for the govt, your prints are in a federal database. So what is the big deal. The government is structured so individual atates can have separate laws. If one state want more regulations on a carry license, then they can. I live in California and I have a CHL. I followed their regulations and got it. Ive been in federal databases since i was 17, so i had nothing to worry about. It is not as scary and invasive as you guys complain about.

I was in the navy for 6 years, so yes I am familiar with finger printing. But We do not finger print for any of those things here. And what other rights do you get finger printed to exercise? Maybe it would be ok for the government to fingerprint you to come on forums, or to have a facebook account. Maybe you should have permit to go to sunday services at your church, or qualify to get a paper from the state that says if a cop searches you, they must have a warrant? Where does it end? Rights are rights. We have them, and states thing they should be able to take them away, but sell them back to us as they choose.