In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Driver door power locks

latreille89

Question

So here's the problem.

2012 Sierra Crew Cab

Yesterday my drivers door decided it doesn't want to lock or unlock with the remote or buttons in the truck. I thought it was the actuator as reading up on this issue seems to be that. I bought a new actuator today and put it on. Still nothing.

All the fuses looks good. I pulled any related to door locks and put a new one it its place. Nothing got the door to work.

Has anyone experienced this or know what it could be? All other functions work like mirrors and windows. The power locks on all other doors are fine.

Truck just rolled 50000km... Doesn't make sense.

4 answers to this question

Nvm guys. Turns out one wire was getting power at the last connection before it goes through to the door but no power on the door side. Somewhere in the wiring harness the wire must have let go but I wasn't going to rip that all apart. Just ran a new wire past the problem area. Works like a charm. Gotta wonder how something like this goes bad. Lesson on the day.... Don't assume it's the actuator until you check your power feeds!

Edited by latreille89

My locks crapped out on my Honda CRV. The driver's door is the "Master" door lock on the Honda. When it fails, the system has all sorts of problems. Perhaps it's the same on your Jimmy.

Hey sometimes things like that happen. You did about what most would do. However, if you run into this same problem, start at the power terminal of the part at fault. In your case the actuator. If you have power there, then you know it "is" the actuator. If not, then take voltage reading from that point back to the 12v source.

Edited by Service1956

Hey sometimes things like that happen. You did about what most would do. However, if you run into this same problem, start at the power terminal of the part at vault. In your case the actuator. If you have power there, then you know it "is" the actuator. If not, then take voltage reading from that point back to the 12v source.

Yeah I know. Dummy me broke my wires for my volt meter and just said screw it. Buy the part. Bought new wires the next day.