In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
5829BMG

Powder coated wheel care

Just had a set of OEM 20 inch rims black powder coated gloss not clear coated. Haven't decided on tires yet but was wondering what's the best to prolong the finish. I've read that cleaners and polishes should be avoided. I was think maybe waxing. Anyone have experience with this and what is recommended? Thanks for your suggestions in advance.

I would ask who ever did your powdercoating.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Just had a set of OEM 20 inch rims black powder coated gloss not clear coated. Haven't decided on tires yet but was wondering what's the best to prolong the finish. I've read that cleaners and polishes should be avoided. I was think maybe waxing. Anyone have experience with this and what is recommended? Thanks for your suggestions in advance.

Not sure where you like to buy detailing products. I buy some from Autogeek, they have a product called Detailers Pro Series Wheel Glaze. It is essentially a wax with anti static properties. Keeps wheels cleaner longer and helps protect your finish.

I picked up some powder coated parts for my bike yesterday my guy said treat it like paint

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

94586cdb28d9eb99ddfe40bc55fa6d4e.jpg grip parts bc86ad5211711721ed7566612caf7a9f.jpg bars..

Edited by TimmyG

Your not really going to hurt powder coating it is tough. But you don't want to use anything abrasive either as it won't polish back to a shine easily like paint does. Allot of wheel cleaners have harsh chemicals that is why people don't like then oh dark colored wheels they can etch the paint/powder coating. A good wax before installation a coat when you clean will keep crud from sticking to them.

After I got my tires mounted on my fresh powdered wheels I cleaned up the wheels an put a mequiars sealant front an back. Cleaning them with soap an water works great. Water jus beads up on them