V4 Drone sound?

Hello everyone,

I've been searching through the forums looking to hear what this v4 drone is. I've read about it but no videos show it. Here's where I'm at. I love the corsa and the Borla. But 1k is a lot for an exhaust. I'm willing to spend 400ish and I have a buddy that will weld it for free. I love the flow master sound but I don't really want to hear a drone sound in my cab while I drive. I'm basically looking for something with the meanness of the corsa, but the price of the flow master :)

Advice and videos? Also if anyone is so cal I'd love to meet up and hear it!!

Thank you!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No video, but I can describe drone... When you install one of the cat back exhaust systems that does not include the Passive Exhaust Valve (aka "flapper") or modify the OEM exhaust with a replacement muffler setup also removing the flapper, you may experience a loud "wawawawa" sound that is best described as sounding like a helicopter is following you when the engine is in V4 mode. It is a resonance heard when in V4 mode. There are a few systems that do not have this drone, such as the GM Borla system which does have a flapper and some others where the drone is neglible even though they do not have the flapper.

There is another drone or resonance that is often overlooked and that is highway speed drone. Some of the exhaust system brands claim their system has no drone. This is often the drone they are referring to. Corsa claims no drone and while at highway speed there is no drone, but when mine switched to V4, I couldn't take it. Changed mine to the GM Borla and love it.

By the way, there is a long "muffler and exhaust system" thread where you'll get lots of opinions and clips of various systems and mods. Check it out...good luck.

I've seen and read through that thread and ya of course I'd like to have my cake and eat it. Wouldn't everyone? That's why I'm asking if anyone has discovered that option lol I didn't know about those two drone types so that's good to know!

How would it sound then if I kept the flapper, added a flow master, and deleted the resonator?

I might just try it haha I was hoping someone had a video though :/ in theory shouldn't it sound the same as a full cat back system with a flapper valve? Maybe the only difference would be the pipe size but will an increase in pipe from 2.75 to 3 really make that much of a difference sound or performance wise? So many questions!! I hope someone can answer some of these!

Mainly what I'd be looking at I guess would be a flow master 70 with a resonator delete and a flapper valve keep to hopefully manage the drone. Also deciding between splitting it off into duals or not hah

Do what I did just cut the muffler and resonator out and weld in the muffler you want and keep stock pipe size and weld a peice of pipe where the resonator was BUT keep in that stupid flapper and you won't notice the drone and still get good sound that's what I did and I don't get drone and sounds good

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Check out the Volant system which is around $500 and uses the same (or very similar) muffler as the Corsa. These are supposed to be one of the lowest drone systems but if you are still not happy you can always add a Range AFM Disabler or tuner in the future to disable V4.

Do what I did just cut the muffler and resonator out and weld in the muffler you want and keep stock pipe size and weld a peice of pipe where the resonator was BUT keep in that stupid flapper and you won't notice the drone and still get good sound that's what I did and I don't get drone and sounds good

Do you happen to have a video of this? That would be awesome!

Do you happen to have a video of this? That would be awesome!

Unfortunately no i do not the muffler I chose is not as loud as I want ill be doing a Flowmaster 40 series soon

Unfortunately no i do not the muffler I chose is not as loud as I want ill be doing a Flowmaster 40 series soon

Shoot :/ can you still hear the muffler? Would you be able to upload just a start up vid or if I PM you my # can you send me a vid of it please?

Shoot :/ can you still hear the muffler? Would you be able to upload just a start up vid or if I PM you my # can you send me a vid of it please?

I put the dynomx VT in mine because it had a built in flapper but I still had V4 problems. My truck would actually start shaking while in V4 with just slight throttle and also make the helicopter sound. After 1 week of this I put the stock system back on and I noticed that even with the stock system my truck had a little vibe in V4 and light throttle but the dynomax system just exagerated it. IMO there are only two options. Get the GM Borla system or tune out the V4 mode and put whatever you want on the truck.

I put the dynomx VT in mine because it had a built in flapper but I still had V4 problems. My truck would actually start shaking while in V4 with just slight throttle and also make the helicopter sound. After 1 week of this I put the stock system back on and I noticed that even with the stock system my truck had a little vibe in V4 and light throttle but the dynomax system just exagerated it. IMO there are only two options. Get the GM Borla system or tune out the V4 mode and put whatever you want on the truck.

Shoot I was seriously considering the Dynomax VT so Im glad you said something. Is the drone really that bad? Do you have a vid of it at all? Im almost leaning towards the Gibson Sport now :/

I bought the Gibson stainless single side exit part number 615628. It sounds good but not obnoxious. Deep throaty sound. The only time the drone bugs me is if I'm like around 35-50mph in v4. On the highway it hasn't seamed to be as noticeable. The trick to keeping it out of v4 is use M5, or manual 5, when cruising around town and what not. It keeps the truck from v4. Works great. Sounds great.

I've tried to capture the V4 sound on my truck in a few videos...it's pretty annoying and I eventually had it tuned out.

You have to listen carefully, but you can sorta hear it.

Archived