CRC GDI Valve Cleaner spray

You don't need this crap... put a CC on it and drive! Way over thinking this stuff.

RT

40k miles is a bit late to add a can to control the buildup. The valves on the DI engines are carboned up at 10k-20k. A can should go on as soon as the truck is purchased ideally. If they are cleaned with a top end cleaner, then a can would be a great idea to install right after that if the truck has miles on it.

Edited by 15HDriver

Wouldn't just unplugging the MAF and going directly into the throttle body work just fine as well? Just clear the codes when done. I do that when I use Amsoil Power Foam induction cleaner on my other vehicles. I'm doing the CRC today for the first time on my truck @ 32k. I'd imagine it's dirty as hell!

That was similar to the approach FL335i tried to use. It's messy and wastes a lot of the spray doing it that way though. The PCV port on the driver's side of the intake is where all the oil vapor and combustion by-products are entering the manifold and forming carbon deposits on the valves. By spraying it down the PCV hose, it's a shorter, more direct trip for the chemical to make and it's hitting the area that's most affected by carbon.

Edited by HondaHawkGT

That was similar to the approach FL335i tried to use. It's messy and wastes a lot of the spray doing it that way though. The PCV port on the driver's side of the intake is where all the oil vapor and combustion by-products are entering the manifold and forming carbon deposits on the valves. By spraying it down the PCV hose, it's a shorter, more direct trip for the chemical to make and it's hitting the area that's most affected by carbon.

Makes sense. I'm gonna powerfoam it first through the TB to clean everything, and then CRC through the PCV to target the valves. Hopefully gets rid of most of the grime.

Edited by CenTex5.3
  • Like 1

^The port on the manifold is the way to go. I'll be doing another can through that port. I'll disconnect the hose, hook 2' long piece of hose I have laying around to go that route. No more following the directions. I'm working on a catch can. I like the Elite one.

Edited by FL335i
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

If I disconnect from my CC. And spray it down hose to pcv should the engine still be revved the whole time around 2000rpm? Should the whole can be used? Wanting to donthis this weekend as I have 17k miles on my truck now, thanks!

On my airaid MIT I added a barb on the bend right before the throttle body for my catch can. This works perfect for spraying in CRC. Had my dad rev the truck at 2k rpm while I sprayed the whole can in. Saw some white smoke come out while I was doing it so I assume it cleaned some funk off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

im about to hit 10k. CC on since 3K. im gonna run a can through just for the hell of it. i assume i can just unhook the outlet from my catch can and spray it in while its reved up?

Yes. The hose running from CC outlet to the intake manifold.

• 2 years later...

The pooling is a valid concern.  My Camaro with LFX engine has the same issue when trying to use this spray.  Pools inside the accordion/bellows between the MAF and the throttle plate.  Doesn't seem to be enough velocity in the air steam to carry the weight of that fluid, perhaps 30% gets past the plate, just guessing.  I think what's happening is the the spray, which is pretty viscous, hits the plate and then dribbles back down.  Perhaps using one of those VMAX throttle gadgets to open the plate as much as possible would be helpful here.  But suspect that much of the spray also deposits in various places inside the intake as well.  As has been said, perhaps the best place to inject it is in a port past the throttle plate.  Not many good options on my engine and I don't believe PCV or brake booster is a good place either as I'm guessing most of the fluid will go to the closest intake plenums.  Same might happen when spraying into the throttle plate anyway as the weight of the droplets will have them favoring a few, not spreading evenly.  Walnut blasting might just be the only reliable way...

I used this this when I was tech... not GM vehicles. My dealer would order it from GM b/c it works great. Side note, you guys really need to stay off youtube when it comes to BS people say about seafoam/CRC.     

Especially BG products junk junk junk

We used this stuff back in the day = GM part #1050002 (Dont think its made anymore)

I would call GM and verify what your local shop is using. = GM Top Engine Cleaner

example : AC Delco ACDelco 10-3007

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007Q102AE/ref=sxbs_sxwds-stvpv2_1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=3233965245922079678&pd_rd_wg=ypp9n&pf_rd_r=MH22YDMPEN6MP0G3W8B2&pf_rd_s=desktop-sx-bottom-slot&pf_rd_t=301&pd_rd_i=B007Q102AE&pd_rd_w=jxXrH&pf_rd_i=88861803&pd_rd_r=14c68c75-48e8-4029-bb03-5ccea7eb4cce&ie=UTF8&qid=1530580751&sr=1#customerReviews

Edited by 05SIERRAMAN

On 7/2/2018 at 12:21 PM, lfxcamaro said:

The pooling is a valid concern.  My Camaro with LFX engine has the same issue when trying to use this spray.  Pools inside the accordion/bellows between the MAF and the throttle plate.  Doesn't seem to be enough velocity in the air steam to carry the weight of that fluid, perhaps 30% gets past the plate, just guessing.  I think what's happening is the the spray, which is pretty viscous, hits the plate and then dribbles back down.  Perhaps using one of those VMAX throttle gadgets to open the plate as much as possible would be helpful here.  But suspect that much of the spray also deposits in various places inside the intake as well.  As has been said, perhaps the best place to inject it is in a port past the throttle plate.  Not many good options on my engine and I don't believe PCV or brake booster is a good place either as I'm guessing most of the fluid will go to the closest intake plenums.  Same might happen when spraying into the throttle plate anyway as the weight of the droplets will have them favoring a few, not spreading evenly.  Walnut blasting might just be the only reliable way...

Yeah but wouldn't you want the cleaner to go to the closest intake plenums. Those are the same valves that get all the carbon from the blow-by pulled through the PCV. You're cleaning the same area that gets the dirtiest due to that port. Does that make sense?

• 2 weeks later...

All the ones I’ve seen the instructions say to spray it directly in front of the throttle plate. Why would you spray it in the intake

also spraying it in the pcv intake port would be the super easy route but I have to wonder why the product manufacturers don’t reccomend doing it that way?  My guess is it doesn’t distribute equally doing it that way

• 3 weeks later...

After using the intake cleaner is it recommended to change the oil?  I would think the carbon breaking up would now be either burned off or in the oil?  Iam at 30k miles and have never done this.  I was at tdealer a month ago and they were going to charge $140 to spray cleaner into the intake!

Edited by Payton34