In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
Jon A

6.2 Dyno with Common Bolt-ons

23 hours ago, NemesisC5 said:

You are correct, since I posted that July last year I learned the 6.2 is a half point higher at 11.5:1. 

I'm curious as to why the 5.3 is rated from GM to produce more power with E85 and the 6.2 is not (especially with the higher CR).

They didn't want the truck making the same power as the lt1. Had to dumb it down and cancel the e85.

By the way, the l86 and the lt1 can see large gains with e85. your going from 91 to 105 octane. 5.3 might see more power because the base numbers are made on 87. 

I don’t have easy access to a dyno to show numbers with e85 on a 6.2 but I may hit the track tomorrow. I’ll let ya know if my numbers improved from last time.

There’s plenty of camaros with e85 conversions, they are adding about 30-40whp

Took it to the track on 59% e85 shaved almost a half second off my quarter mile. Ran a 14.1 @ 98. Still not where I wanna be but not bad on 33’s I guess.

Edited by chevydeth

Yeah, I would have though you'd be around 13.5 with your mods. Especially on E85...

Also wanted to ask, how do you like the vmax tb?

Yeah, I would have though you'd be around 13.5 with your mods. Especially on E85...

Also wanted to ask, how do you like the vmax tb?

Slight acceleration improvement but that’s about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Took it to the track on 59% e85 shaved almost a half second off my quarter mile. Ran a 14.1 @ 98. Still not where I wanna be but not bad on 33’s I guess.

3c4964575dae5725cb220eb44fbdc2e8.jpg

Ran better tonight. Hemi ‘almost’ had me.

On 9/12/2016 at 4:12 PM, truckguy82 said:

So I was studying the c7 corvette lt1 dynos, and I thought it was interesting that after the OP's bolt-ons, the torque and hp was almost identical to an lt1 from 2k rpm until around 4300rpm, then around 4500rpm the l86 starts to choke while the lt1 continues to make power.

So I overlaid the c7 dyno to your graph by hand and scanned it. I think it's a pretty accurate guess to say you'd make over 400whp with just an intake manifold, 411hp according to the overlay. Being that you dyno'd 330whp stock, looks like we could potentially make an extra 80hp with just bolt on's. Which would be incredible.

This is exactly the type of torque powerband I'd like to have in my truck personally. Still has plenty of low end grunt, but then it just continues to pull really hard as you get higher in the powerband.

Scan_2016_09_12_15_36_34_545.pdf

So would it be safe to say from the LT1 vs L86 dyno's that going to an LT1 intake over the L86 intake will NOT lose any low end torque?  If so then I would say there's no reason not to do the LT1 intake, right?

12 hours ago, kgkern01 said:

So would it be safe to say from the LT1 vs L86 dyno's that going to an LT1 intake over the L86 intake will NOT lose any low end torque?

No, you do lose a little low end torque, and a moderate amount in the mid-range (the range used a lot for towing).  After 5500 RPM it takes off though.  The truck manifold is the better manifold for a truck.  For racing (especially with and aftermarket cam) the LT1 manifold could be better, depending upon setup.  Either is fine for just driving around...and the LT1 kills in the looks department.

16 hours ago, kgkern01 said:

So would it be safe to say from the LT1 vs L86 dyno's that going to an LT1 intake over the L86 intake will NOT lose any low end torque?  If so then I would say there's no reason not to do the LT1 intake, right?

I’ve learned a lot since I posted that and I would never swap to an lt1 intake.

if I was trying to make big power and I wasn’t going tow much I’d go ported msd.

Ah ok, yeah losing towing torque isn’t worth it.  I’ll probably just do the CAI, headers, E85 conversion, tune, and catch can and be done with it.  If I want to go fast I’ll drive my built E85 LT4 TransAm, lol.

Edited by kgkern01

Wish I could find a set of ARH headers for my 6.2L in Canada. Don't want to go as cheap as Pace Setter, but I don't want to fork our $3k for a set of Kooks either.

It is common to lose torque going to a hi-ram intake or LT headers. Those mods are typically geared to high RPM gains. E85 will add moderate power as well but the real benefits to E85 show up when you have boost. It has a high pre-detonation resistance, octane rating, which allows for more boost. A engine that may be able to push 8psi on 91 octane could likely push to 12psi or higher on E85. It is nearly on par with C16 race gas for turbo/supercharged engines but is 1/4 the cost.  

43 minutes ago, 10SierraA.T. said:

Wish I could find a set of ARH headers for my 6.2L in Canada. Don't want to go as cheap as Pace Setter, but I don't want to fork our $3k for a set of Kooks either.

It is common to lose torque going to a hi-ram intake or LT headers. Those mods are typically geared to high RPM gains. E85 will add moderate power as well but the real benefits to E85 show up when you have boost. It has a high pre-detonation resistance, octane rating, which allows for more boost. A engine that may be able to push 8psi on 91 octane could likely push to 12psi or higher on E85. It is nearly on par with C16 race gas for turbo/supercharged engines but is 1/4 the cost.  

You still gain low end torque with long tube headers, they just really increase more up at higher RPM, making the curve peak a little higher.  

3 minutes ago, kgkern01 said:

You still gain low end torque with long tube headers, they just really increase more up at higher RPM, making the curve peak a little higher.  

Yes overall, you will gain torque through the power band (which is primarily dictated from the cam profile). But in the low RPM range, 1500-2500 RPM you will actually lose torque as there is a loss of back pressure (minor) and minimal vacuum from the next cylinder to draw out the exhaust, which works differently in a manifold. You may gain horsepower in that 1500-2500 range, but you will lose a bit of torque 90% of the time. Usually not much to worry about 5-10lb-ft if that, but it is still a loss. However, you may make an additional 20lb-ft on your peak and mid-range numbers. Not a big deal on your sports car running them on track, but if you tow all the time with your truck, I wouldn't look at headers as a performance mod per say. They wont slow you down either but generally a cast manifold or shorty is a better choice for low rpm performance in the truck world. 

I am just speaking to what I know about the LS family, maybe these LT's react differently to a set of tubes.

If I am wrong, please lead me to some information as to why, because I am curious to find out how they did it.