Michelin LTX M/S 2 tire

I've got a 2014 1500 LT Double Cab 2WD and read posting about the best tires on this forum - what about the Michelin LTX M/S2 tires? The truck is not used off-road so I'm just looking for good tires for city/highway driving with good handling (dry and wet roads) while providing a quiet and smooth ride (snow is not an issue in SC).

The truck came with Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max P265/65R18 tires.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thet last incredibly long as far as tread depth goes. I found the rubber gets harder with age and they loose their traction in wet or snowy conditions. So bad in fact that if I wasn't in 4wd I would get stuck from a standing start on wet pavement on a minor incline. For dry highway use their really smooth and quiet.

Thet last incredibly long as far as tread depth goes. I found the rubber gets harder with age and they loose their traction in wet or snowy conditions. So bad in fact that if I wasn't in 4wd I would get stuck from a standing start on wet pavement on a minor incline. For dry highway use their really smooth and quiet.

Ditto. That's been my experience with Michelin as well. (BFG too)

The only tire that I run on my vehicles except on my last truck that had BFG KOs from the factory. I swapped out the Goodyear SR-A on my current truck with them too.

By the way, the tire was rebranded this year. It is called the Michelin Defender vice Michelin LTX M/S2. You cannot tell the difference by outward appearance maybe a little more sipping. The one regret is that I stayed with the P rated tire vice moving up to the LT.

A phone call to Michelin customer support after reading your post says the tire was NOT rebranded to the Michelin Defender from the Michelin LTX M/S2 ?? He did say 'some' sizes of the LTX M/S 2 have been discontinued but the size I need is still made.

EDIT -

On their Web site there is this info though: 'Our Best Just Got Better. The MICHELIN® Defender® LTX® M/S combines the proven tread design of the LTX® M/S2 with Evertread compound to provide durable tread life, no matter the season. Guess it's important to tell the tire dealer what I want!

Retired Bob, on 19 Mar 2016 - 07:11 AM, said:

A phone call to Michelin customer support after reading your post says the tire was NOT rebranded to the Michelin Defender from the Michelin LTX M/S2 ?? He did say 'some' sizes of the LTX M/S 2 have been discontinued but the size I need is still made.

EDIT -

On their Web site there is this info though: 'Our Best Just Got Better. The MICHELIN® Defender® LTX® M/S combines the proven tread design of the LTX® M/S2 with Evertread compound to provide durable tread life, no matter the season. Guess it's important to tell the tire dealer what I want!

I spoke with the Discount Tire rep and not Michelin. However, there are numerous articles with official comment from Michelin that the LTX M/S and LTX M/S 2 is being replaced with the Defender. The roll out started on August 1, 2015. I believe your Michelin rep may be wanting to suppress the official statement in order to sell out all existing stock of LTX tires.

They are a great tire . Very quiet and handle well. I had 3 different sets on my previous truck F350 and I averaged 45 -50,000 miles on each set. I will put them on my Silvy when I get tired of these stock tires. They are great in the rain and for towing. They have a high load range . Not cheap but you get what you pay for and I don't cheap out on tires.

I had them on my old 04 SD, great tire. Really smooth and good in the Seattle rain. When I got my 22s for my 15 denali first thing I looked for was a michelin in 22s and they didn't have it.

Not sure why the MIchelin site recommends the MS2 for the 04 Denali but the defender ltx ms for the 15 denali. (latest version?) Says the ms2 "The tire may vary slightly from the specified original equipment size shown on the vehicle placard."

Our Best Just Got Better. The MICHELIN® Defender® LTX® M/S combines the proven tread design of the LTX® M/S2 with Evertread compound to provide durable tread life, no matter the season.

My truck is on order, driving straight to DT to trade in the OEM Goodyear RSA's & install Michelin Defender LTX M/S

Been a custom/OEM, wheel/tire guy for a long time, I was the wheel/tire guy at my local MB dealer with my normal bumper to bumper stuff, Have mounted hundreds of wheels & tires (every brand tire avaiable) for celebrities, sport teams and all their wives & GF's. Just giving you some of experience creds. Why do people always have comments about low traction on snow and ice, when not using snow tires? (even with snow/ice tires traction is a issue, its just improved) from my point of view your review of the tire is invalid and most folks with common sense read right past that nonsense.

Every tire degrades in its "selected" traction/performance as it wears, just like worn brakes. Michelin over time fairs much better than most the competition, and as for very cold climates, stiff cold tire will always decrease % of its traction in general.

No one talks about braking traction, which Michelin does quite well, I tow 7500lbs in the summer, high quality tires make a huge difference when stopping esp. with additional weight behind the vehicle. That being said, its my professional opinion you purchase Michelin's, its the brand I recommend to my family.

http://www.michelinman.com/US/en/tires/products/defender-ltx-m-s.html

lastly, sometimes its cost more money upfront to save money later, buy Michelin's.

Archived