Costco unveils limited production Special Edition Silverado

Zane

3_4_FRONT_COSTCO.jpg

Zane Merva

Executive Editor, GM-Trucks.com

3/23/16

Costco has been helping dealers sell vehicles for more than 25 years. The bulk-savings chain offers special deals and discounts to its members when they are looking to buy a car. Starting in April, buyers will be able to purchase a limited production, Special Edition Chevrolet Silverado that's only available through the Auto Program.

Only 5,000 of these Special Edition Silverado will be made. Customers can special order their own starting April 1st . The special Silverado will come in two or four wheel drive, have a standard 5.3L V8 and sport 22-inch limited edition chrome wheels. 6-inch steps, heated and cooled leather seats, a navigation system, Bose Sound, and forward collision alert/lane departure warning are also included. Even a folding tonneau cover and factory spray-in bedliner come as part of the package.

This Silverado will be offered to Costco members at GM's supplier discount pricing, including all rebates, a $1,000 Costco discount, plus a $1,000 Costco Cash Card for completing an Auto Program Survey.

Customers can take part by registering for the Costco Auto Program, which will connect them with a participating Chevrolet Dealership.

“This is the first time we have teamed up to offer an exceptional vehicle that is only available to Costco members,” says Sandor Piszar, Chevrolet Truck marketing director. “The package combines Chevrolet’s legendary reliability and capability with a unique appearance and an exceptional value designed exclusively for Costco.”

3_4_FRONT_COSTCO.jpg

3_4_FRONT_COSTCO.jpg

3_4_FRONT_COSTCO.jpg

I buy all my vehicles thru Costco's auto program. The only issue I have is that there a no GMC dealers affiliated with Costco's auto program in my area. I used my employer/supplier discount when I bought my Sierra. I saved more that $7K off the MSRP.

I buy all my vehicles thru Costco's auto program. The only issue I have is that there a no GMC dealers affiliated with Costco's auto program in my area. I used my employer/supplier discount when I bought my Sierra. I saved more that $7K off the MSRP.

Not to burst any bubbles, but $7K is about half of the discount I got on my Silverado LTZ by dealing directly with the local dealership. From my observation over the years, these programs are a convenience service that removes the negotiation hassle, but rarely do they achieve true max discount availablr.

When are they going to start selling trucks again? Loose the ghetto cruiser wheels and the Cadillac interiors and get back to the basics.

My 1990 1500 had a nice comfortable bench seat.

Today's trucks are more like Buck Rogers.

Not to burst any bubbles, but $7K is about half of the discount I got on my Silverado LTZ by dealing directly with the local dealership. From my observation over the years, these programs are a convenience service that removes the negotiation hassle, but rarely do they achieve true max discount availablr.

It depends on what truck he got, if it was a lower MSRP 7k could be a good percentage. I got about 10k of of my Silverado which has an MSRP of right around 48k.

It depends on what truck he got, if it was a lower MSRP 7k could be a good percentage. I got about 10k of of my Silverado which has an MSRP of right around 48k.

Thank you.

This is true. My last new Sierra was a Work Truck.

Also, some are limited by geography. Not enough dealers in local/nearby areas.

And some just don't have the time or ability to haggle. For some buying a new truck is like going to the dentist.

Few know what the dealer cost is or the invoice cost is nor what the difference is.

Even some of the salesmen/women don't know what incentives that apply to vehicles.

When I purchased my new ordered 2008 Sierra 7 of the 8 dealers I visited advised me that I could not order that truck configured as I requested. I had to contact GM in Detroit to get the correct valid information. Most people would have given up a long time before. I was correct and the 7 dealers/sales people were wrong. I had the time and patience to investigate. Many working 2-3 jobs with family responsibilities do not.

The reason Costco decided to start selling trucks is so you have a way to haul home the 5 gallon bucket of mayonnaise, 3 gallon containers of mustard, the 12 pack of 64 ounce bottles of bar-b-que sauce and the jumbo packs of cereal.

I guess someone will ask a question over in the 2014-16 forum if the 5.3 will actually handle the load or will they need the 6.2...... :thumbs:

MSRP clearly has relevance to discount magnitude, but from experience, I've gone through the process of using these programs before to get a "best price" and there are margins you wont get going the "easy route". Been there, done that on 3 purchases in the past 5 years as I optimistically keep hoping some company will someday truly provide an optimum deal and every time it was significantly better to deal directly with dealership. I have a couple of friends that have worked for 15+ years in auto sales and they love to have the discount certificate holders and buying program folks walk in the door as the dealership always pockets more at the end of the sales. If youre happy leaving 3-5% on the table and feel intimidated or overwhelmed by the negotiation process, then you should definitely use these programs. IMHO if you want the absolute best deal, then better to conduct the purchase straight away with the dealer.

Archived