How-To: Adding A Coolant Filter K2.

FL335i

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Moving a few comments from other threads:

Sounds like some good mods. Just curious but what are the benefits to a coolant filter? What contaminants build up that need to be filtered out? Especially with new vehicles. Being around vehicles with over 300k on them, some with the original hoses and possible coolant with no filter system on them and all is well. Not sure of the benefit of a filter but I'm not educated in this area. I would think a flush every 5 years would keep things clean enough seeing most don't bother and have no coolant system related issues.

The coolant filter should be the #2 mod to do on these trucks right after the catch can, dexcool has a nasty hobbit of turning to "gunk". I can't tell you how many times we have to rip apart gm cars here in my shop because of Dexcool clogging up the coolant system. Dexcool flush every 50k and the coolant filter and your motor will thank you in the long run

Just curious but do you have idea what the average mileage is on these vehicles that have clogged up coolant systems? I wonder if it the ones going past the 5yr 150k mile service. Coolant service is a forgotten item to most vehicle owners.

As originally stated, at 40k and 16 months I had "crud" growing in my overflow. Which got me off my arse to put this kit together. I plan on doing a coolant flush and fill around 60k. Which for me is about 2-2.5yrs.

To me it would seem that something was added to the coolant system that was not compatible to cause issues. With all the thousands of GM vehicles on the road running Dexicool, one would think there would be more issues than there are.

I'm not up 100% on Dexicool but was under the impression that the system is supposed to be a close off system to the atmosphere, if air can get in then that causes issue. So this would make sense that if these clogged, thickened systems where not sealed then it could cause issues. Not trying to start anything but maybe help prevent to have others check to make sure their system is sealed.

• 5 months later...

Doing more and more research before I install. From what I found, the recommended coolant filter is designed to be used as a bypass filter. Not an inline filter like shown. It will slow down flow when in line, especially if the filter starts getting clogged. Inhibited flow could result in strain on the water pump also... so I'll be adding tees between the hoses that'll lead to the filter, and connect those tees together to ensure everything is flowing properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fascinating I have never heard of a coolant filter before. The things you can learn on this forum are amazing. I like the idea but I think I will stick with my current plan and use a whole truck filtering kit. (When this one gets some miles on it and a few years old I will filter it back through the dealers lot LOL)

594504be829f3dc0cf54f34cded90d1d.jpg

I got it set up and mounted today. Just waiting on the hose to come in the mail! Very excited to see results.

How will you be running your lines? I had a coolant bypass filter on my 6.0 superduty due to all of the casting sand that leaches from the block. Crazy how much sand was caught with the bypass. On that truck I tee'd into the heater core line and then another tee into the degas/ coolant reservoir line. Thanks in advance.

How will you be running your lines? I had a coolant bypass filter on my 6.0 superduty due to all of the casting sand that leaches from the block. Crazy how much sand was caught with the bypass. On that truck I tee'd into the heater core line and then another tee into the degas/ coolant reservoir line. Thanks in advance.

I took some pics and tried to depict my plan to be best of my ability haha. Waiting on the hose to come in the mail on Monday. My plan is very similar to the setups above.

ab2777a854c1f3beb41c286b3b68dc1f.jpg

First I'll remove this hose from the connections shown at the green arrows. I plan to keep the hose in case I ever decide to put it back.

217e2fd495bc526ade15f9c25b4c8c6a.jpg

This is how I plan on running the lines. Pink shows the coolant/heater hose. The yellow shows the brass tee connectors. I plan on teeing over some of the flow to relieve pressure. Putting all the water pressure through that filter without a relief could strain the pump. This way it should equalize out nicely.

• 3 weeks later...

Flow comes out of the intake manifold and flows through the 5/16" small coolant hose into the overflow tank. That's engine -> overflow tank. I've removed the hose at the coolant tank and had the engine running to verify proper flow direction. Not sure what other folk did.....

That's right. So the hose from the engine should link to the upper hose barb on the filter. The lower hose barb is the outlet, and should be linked to the overflow tank.

Archived