How-To: Remote Spin-On Transmission Filter Kit.

FL335i

• 5 months later...

Old thread, but I used the same Derale kit as you. I installed mine last week above the 2nd battery tray. Tied in the line where it comes out of the radiator and goes to the condenser. Cut that line, flared the ends, used 3/8" trans hose and some SS hose clamps. I used Swagelock SS fittings on the Derale block. Seems to be good to go. I'm using a FL1A filter, not sure its tight enough micron, though. I also bypassed/plugged the thermostat housing on the transmission, and welded a 3/8" NPT bung on the trans pan so it has a drain now. I bought the new pan and filter on Amazon, going to weld my a drain plug on my old pan for my brother to use in his Sierra.  SMH at GM for not having a drain plug on their pans....

• 3 months later...

Long term update.  I'm at 93k and still running this trans filter setup.  Not one leak.  I was doing 1yr/20k intervals on the filter but this past year have been lighter on mileage and busy.... was supposed to change at Christmas break, but didn't.  So I'm about 14 months and 20k on the current filter.  Looking to do a full trans service at my next LOF of around 97k.  Trans pan filter, spin-on filter and fluid. Love this setup and would do it again. The 1269 filter is much smaller than the cheap "flush" filter I started with which was a full-size FL1A or whatever oil filter.  Thing was the size of a house.  The 1269 is tucked nicely up in the rails. 

Edited by FL335i
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...

I just added a similar setup to my 2019 6.0 2500hd today at 40089 miles. Used 6an stainless braided lines to replace the crossover pipe between the radiator and cooler, and mounted the filter mount behind the front bumper on the passenger side. Took about three hours with beer breaks to get it done lol. Sorry for the low light pictures it’s dark out now after riding around to check for no leaks. Pretty much got everything from Summit except for filter and quart of tranny fluid from Napa. Going to run it until next oil change and then see how the fluid cleaned up maybe cut the filter open if I have time. 

D06F1B18-DF69-4BD7-93FA-17B96896A18E.jpeg

8F24A6FA-271D-4448-97CB-B070ACC049AC.jpeg

D9D372C2-61E7-4A92-B0E6-452E87C4C781.jpeg

• Like 2