First actual towing 3.08

I pull a camper that weighs about 6 K, the 5.3 and 3.08 pull fine here in VA with mix of flat and hilly. Average about 11.8 towing, trans temp never over 200. I'm happy with mine

Bob

• 3 weeks later...

I was a little nervous when I went with the 5.3, 6spd 3.08 combo but the truck fit into my very tight budget constraints so I said what the hell... So far it has pulled my 19' inline sled trailer better than my 2008 Sierra Z71 4spd 3.73 ever did. I'm hoping that it will pull my 26' foot camper at least as good as the old truck if not a little better?

I just put on a set of 275/55/R20's for the summer instead of the 255/70/17's she came with so we'll see what that does...

Edited by edgexcsp

• 2 weeks later...

Did my first extended tow with my 2014 CCSB LTZ 4x4 with 5.3L and 3.08 gears. I also installed an Air Lift Wireless One compressor with Load Lifter 5000 airbags.

We traveled from the Indianapolis, IN to Baltimore MD via I-70 to Washington PA, I-79 to Morgantown WVa then I-68/I-70 for the final leg.

I was towing a 21' aluminum livestock trailer that weighs 3000 lbs empty. I didn't get a chance to hit the scales, but we carried ~1200 lbs of livestock and ~1000 pounds of gear, feed and tack plus 2 passengers and luggage.

Never hunted gears, had no issues on either the up or down of hills. Loved the automatic engine braking for the downhill runs, though I did override it on a couple of really steep hills with curves at the bottoms.

Reset my Trip B odometer as we pulled out of the drive and average 12.3 MPG over a ~1200 mile trip.

Gotta say I am very pleased with the truck.

Edited by natedday

• 3 years later...

I’ve got a 2015 CCSB 5.3L with 3.08 gears and I’m looking to tow a 6x12 trailer (weighing 2290 lbs) with 3 motorcycles (weighing about 2100 lbs), for a total of 4400 lbs about 1400 miles. I’ve got 33x11.50 tires on it. I’m seeing that max towing is 6400 lbs and max GVWR is 12,000 lbs. Any thoughts from any of you more experienced haulers? 

Edited by Jondp2013
Adding more info

12 hours ago, Jondp2013 said:

I’ve got a 2015 CCSB 5.3L with 3.08 gears and I’m looking to tow a 6x12 trailer (weighing 2290 lbs) with 3 motorcycles (weighing about 2100 lbs), for a total of 4400 lbs about 1400 miles. I’ve got 33x11.50 tires on it. I’m seeing that max towing is 6400 lbs and max GVWR is 12,000 lbs. Any thoughts from any of you more experienced haulers? 

I have a 14 with the same setup. I have towed 7,000 pounds with no issues. I usually tow a single axle 7x12 trailer with stuff from the home store. I just put it in tow haul and if I'm going down the highway I will put it in 5th gear to keep the rpms up.