In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
GsBowtie

Highest mileage equinox?

Hey yall,

My wife and i are continuing to look for a new vehicle for her.

She puts about 20k on her car each year so it's going to be run hard. I'm curious what the highest mileage equinox out there is, and what maintenance work you've had to do over the years?

I hear good things about the equi, but would like to see some real world examples.

If you could, please post your mileage and what work or issues you've had over that span since new. We are looking at the 4cyl equi. Don't need or want the v6.

Thanks

G

Not a direct experience but we have a customer that comes in with a 2014. She has 119,000 miles on it. Bought it in November 2013. Come one year around for inspection, she had 58,000 on it. Yes, 58,000 in one year. Last year almost to the date of her first inspection, we put front pads on it, turned the rotors and put 4 tires on at 111,000 miles. Rears were in great shape. She went 111,000 on the original Michelins. She does a lot of highway driving.

20k a year? No problem LOL. Hopefully this will help in some way.

Not a direct experience but we have a customer that comes in with a 2014. She has 119,000 miles on it. Bought it in November 2013. Come one year around for inspection, she had 58,000 on it. Yes, 58,000 in one year. Last year almost to the date of her first inspection, we put front pads on it, turned the rotors and put 4 tires on at 111,000 miles. Rears were in great shape. She went 111,000 on the original Michelins. She does a lot of highway driving.

20k a year? No problem LOL. Hopefully this will help in some way.

Wow,

Thats some serious running! I wonder what that person does for a living?

Yes, that does help. Do you see many issues with the equinox? Anything I should look for or be aware of? They do seem very solid from what I can tell.

Thanks

G

Wow,

Thats some serious running! I wonder what that person does for a living?

Yes, that does help. Do you see many issues with the equinox? Anything I should look for or be aware of? They do seem very solid from what I can tell.

Thanks

G

2013 and up they are great. If you are going brand new they are great. 2010-2012 are troublesome. Brake life is good. Some go 30k, some go 60k, it varies. If you have them cleaned and lubed once a year or so they will last a long time. Stock Michelins usually pull 40-70k. The rear sliding seat is awesome.

• Like 1

2013 and up they are great. If you are going brand new they are great. 2010-2012 are troublesome. Brake life is good. Some go 30k, some go 60k, it varies. If you have them cleaned and lubed once a year or so they will last a long time. Stock Michelins usually pull 40-70k. The rear sliding seat is awesome.

Good to know. Yes we are looking at new equinox. I think we've about narrowed it down to the equinox now. Will have to see if i can get a deal on one. I'm hoping they will offer 0% financing in the next few months

This is very useful. Thanks.

We have a base 2011 Equinox LS with the 4 cylinder. Bought new, it's now at about 60k miles. It gets driven almost every day, but on short trips.

From the inside, it's quiet and drives fine. On the outside, it makes noises that don't inspire confidence. It had a faulty camshaft solenoid that caused it to shut down at 45 MPH. It had a throttle body fail that put it in safe mode, allowing us to creep at 5 MPH to the nearest GM dealership. We're currently awaiting for a replacement fuel pump that was recalled. We were given an extended warranty on the emissions systems and we had a catalytic converter fail early. The general quality of the vehicle is lacking. Initial quality, great. Long-term quality, not so impressed. The paint quality is also terrible - very thin and chips easily.

Back seat space is great right up until you have to put in child seats. You're only fitting two, and the middle seat becomes unusable. The rear hatch has some good space, but the width seems tighter than it should be given the vehicle's size. The seats do not fold flat.

Gas mileage never came close to as advertised. Highway it gets maybe 24, city it gets mid to high teens. This is about what my 91 Camaro does with a 305 TPI V8. There are no indications that anything is wrong with the drivetrain, and it gets serviced regularly.

Maintenance-wise, it's gone through one set of Michelins and just had the brakes done. Michelin tires are the secret to the interior noise; as they wear, the interior gets louder on the highway.

That being said, it's done its job all other times and performed well. We bought it because nobody could compete with price in the segment and it was one of the few fresh designs in 2010-2011. However, that is the only reason we'd buy one again (very unlikely), and next time we'll shop other manufacturers. 2010 was an odd time to shop for one as competitors were all at different phases with their crossovers. The segment is very competitive now and just about every manufacturer makes a great crossover.

Edited by KMK454

I have a 2009 equinox 6 cyl and it has 250,000 miles and still driving it. I was told heater cores are one of the common problems with them. Not sur if that is for just 2009 or others. I was lucky enough that it was replaced in mine before i bought it. My daughter has a 4 cyl and has had no issues. But we do make sure we do regular maintenance on them as well.