In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
dlang13

What Air Filter Is Everyone Using?

Back to the regularly scheduled filter war 🤣

AcDelco filter, same as the one that was put in on the assembly line. My Blackstone reports always come back great. 

On 11/1/2019 at 10:19 PM, JimCost2014 said:

Wholly crap, $125..00 for an air filter.

Is it worth the money?

It is cool looking, but a K&N is less than half the price.

I ran across the GM HP filter in the My Chevrolet (Onstar app) and posted as a "new find". The description says it has 5 fewer pleats and lists it flow rate. Indeed very expensive at $125 MSRP, for reference the AC Delco High Capacity air filter #A1518C is listed at $75.xx on Rock Auto which is very expensive as well IMO. It seems GM trusts the pleated paper filters to keep out dirt and optimized the design for increased flow while maintaining filtration efficiency/capacity. 

I ended up purchasing the AFE 31-10004 for just over $43 which seemed to be a balanced choice based on what I read in link below. The article was from 2009 so I'm sure there's something better now however didn't want to spend too much time splitting hairs on a drop-in replacement.

https://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html

On 11/4/2019 at 2:51 PM, Grumpy Bear said:

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

Will Rogers

i found I am a little bit of all 3 types..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/4/2019 at 12:33 PM, JimCost2014 said:

So, I guess reading is maybe something you feel is not too important when it comes to everyday interactions.

My quote was, I thought $125.00 was a lot to pay for an air filter, used K&N as an example, not as a guideline everyone on here should use, and also on another post I listed that I do use OEM AC Delco.

And, how would I ever know you "supposedly" have decades of experience with anything not failing? Besides "your word", how would anyone know?

And, how would you ever know what, or what I can not do when it comes to a vehicle, you are a great example of what this forum has become, opinions, and Aholes with them.

Hey, you're the one who directed to me in the first place, when I never actually directed towards you.  If I'd initially wanted to quote you, I would have.

In the meantime, you can rely on data.  You don't have to trust me; all you have to do is keep paying my salary, license fees, insurance, cell phone bills, etc. because people with more power trust it.  I posted just one of many on the subject of airflow and filters; no, physics hasn't changed much over the years, so the information applies.  I suppose you're also one to spit at oblate speroid earth/evolution/climate change data?  Simple, common sense says that if the filter flows more, it filters less... oh, fluid dynamics says the same.

A Civic get towed in the other day for a flat tire.  Popped the hood and saw a "CAI."  I dragged it to the curb with the tractor without touching the tire and left the tow bill on the seat, I won't touch garbage.

Carry on, softy.

31 minutes ago, dukedkt442 said:

because people with more power trust it

No idea what you mean, or where you are going with that "quote".

When someone likes to throw out statements of "if someone had any common sense", they are usually the one without it, and after reading about you patting yourself on your own butt because of your wealth of knowledge and expertise, what do you really think the chances of me bringing anything to you to work on it are? Even if I lived down the street from your shop.

A little humility goes a long way, and speaks volumes about a person, but the beauty of these forums is that we can pretend to be anything we want.

• Like 2

On 11/15/2019 at 10:38 PM, JimCost2014 said:

When someone likes to throw out statements of "if someone had any common sense", they are usually the one without it, and after reading about you patting yourself on your own butt because of your wealth of knowledge and expertise, what do you really think the chances of me bringing anything to you to work on it are? Even if I lived down the street from your shop.

A little humility goes a long way, and speaks volumes about a person, but the beauty of these forums is that we can pretend to be anything we want.

Still looking for a dispute to the filter data posted.  You can doubt what I post, but the fortunate thing about life and science is that you can think all you want, doesn't make it true.  

I see in your avatar you have a truck with 22s.  Assuming stock, that comes commensurate with a truck with leather, and a whole assortment of luxury items.  I have little respect for anyone who needs luxury items in a vehicle let alone a truck; comfort belongs in your bed not your truck.  Insult my professions all you want, but I'm not the one advertising their wuss-mobile.  I'm not worried that you won't bring me your truck to fix, because you're certainly the type to get wet in the diapers when it approaches 100k and needs to "upgrade" to the latest and greatest trash.  It's ok.. we can't all keep the old junk humming along.  

Hey you know what?  The flow data for air filters hasn't changed yet.  Funny how that [doesn't] happen.

On 11/15/2019 at 10:38 PM, JimCost2014 said:

That referred to the federal government, who pays me to work on their broken shit.  Not to mention, all my licenses and certifications.  I haven't even had to buy boots since 2005... I get reimbursed 2 pairs a year.

Pissed off yet?  Good.  Enjoy it.  I know I do!

Douche.

30 minutes ago, dukedkt442 said:

That referred to the federal government, who pays me to work on their broken shit.  Not to mention, all my licenses and certifications.  I haven't even had to buy boots since 2005... I get reimbursed 2 pairs a year.

Pissed off yet?  Good.  Enjoy it.  I know I do!

Douche.

Nah, more amused than anything, forgot all about this.

But, for your egos' sake, you can win.

40 minutes ago, dukedkt442 said:

Still looking for a dispute to the filter data posted.  You can doubt what I post, but the fortunate thing about life and science is that you can think all you want, doesn't make it true.  

I see in your avatar you have a truck with 22s.  Assuming stock, that comes commensurate with a truck with leather, and a whole assortment of luxury items.  I have little respect for anyone who needs luxury items in a vehicle let alone a truck; comfort belongs in your bed not your truck.  Insult my professions all you want, but I'm not the one advertising their wuss-mobile.  I'm not worried that you won't bring me your truck to fix, because you're certainly the type to get wet in the diapers when it approaches 100k and needs to "upgrade" to the latest and greatest trash.  It's ok.. we can't all keep the old junk humming along.  

Hey you know what?  The flow data for air filters hasn't changed yet.  Funny how that [doesn't] happen.

Help me out though, what data are you talking about? Please post my quote of me recommending a CAI.

If making fun of the fact I can afford to have nice things makes you feel better, I am glad I put a smile on your face during the holiday season!!!!

What the heck, you have a Giant D for your avatar, should i guess the real meaning?

Edited by JimCost2014