Sierra 1500: SLE vs. WT (double or crew cab)...interior noise level an

I drove a '16 Sierra 1500 SLE recently and really liked it. The ride quality was great, the interior was quiet, and the seat was comfortable. However, it had a lot of options that I could live without. i.e. Z71 package,18" wheels, dual zone climate control, etc. Those are things that I would consider if the price is right, but I'm not going to pay a premium for them.

The issue with shopping for a truck in my area (Northern Virginia) is that you can't throw a brick on a lot without hitting a loaded truck (SLT). It's difficult to find a lower or mid-range truck. i.e. The salesman that I spoke with about the SLE (which was well equipped, to me) made the comment that it was a "basic" truck. $43.5k (sticker/MSRP) for a 1500 is not "basic" to me. It was, however, the lowest end truck on their lot.

My question for you...as it would be difficult for me to find a varied amount of trim Sierra's on one lot to test drive in my area (from looking on cars.com)...is there a difference in the interior noise level and ride quality between a run of the mill 1500 WT double cab (or crew cab) and a SLE?

Looking on the GMC website, they made it sound like whatever improvements were made to isolate cabin noise and improve ride quality were made across the board in all double and crew cab models. I get that neither of those are going to have the active noise cancellation feature that's in the SLT though.

I would appreciate any opinions that you could share. Thank you.

Cannot help you with the insulation/sound deadening part of the question.

But can say that if you will probably land enough rebates on the SLE to compensate or be very little difference in price out the door.

Does not seem the base trucks get much attention from GM aside from fleet use. The SLE may be worth a few dollars more for resale/trade in some years down the road.

I think you're right on that. I'm guessing that's why some dealers don't mess with work trucks. If they can get the average person to just take a spin in a SLE...odds are (if they can swing it)...they just say "f**k it" and go for it. From what I've been reading, people don't seem to have much of a problem getting $10-12k off (in some cases more).

Other than the possible impact of carpet versus rubber floor liner, the only noise related item I am sure is on the SLE (CC and DC only) but not the base Sierra is the rear wheelhouse liners (B1J). Have you considered shopping Chevrolet, where you have trims between the base and LT/SLE level? Specifically, the LS or Custom may give you the options you want without going over.

Other than the possible impact of carpet versus rubber floor liner, the only noise related item I am sure is on the SLE (CC and DC only) but not the base Sierra is the rear wheelhouse liners (B1J). Have you considered shopping Chevrolet, where you have trims between the base and LT/SLE level? Specifically, the LS or Custom may give you the options you want without going over.

I have...and I think I'll give that some more thought. The selection at the local Chevy dealer is much better than the GMC dealer.

I can understand your desire for lower level and priced options. Previously I had a 2005 Silverado WT regular cab and it was just that, a work truck. No power windows, no power locks, no push button 4x4, plastic floor coverings (plenty of sound deadening still under it) and the 4.3L. The truck was rock solid and the only thing that ever broke on it was the distributor cap cracked one winter when in a storm I literally packed the engine bay full of snow (you could see the hood liner in the snow when you popped the hood). Other than that one failure, routine maintenance and regular cleaning in, out and under and that truck was great. No bells and whistles to fail. What you save up front you give up later when you sell but that is fine. I was happy with what I was able to sell it for after 6 years and 140000 miles. Try to find a larger Chevy dealer as they likely have a better selection of the WT or LS trim packages. Have you tried to 'build it' on the Chevy website and then locate a dealer that has what you built?

I can understand your desire for lower level and priced options. Previously I had a 2005 Silverado WT regular cab and it was just that, a work truck. No power windows, no power locks, no push button 4x4, plastic floor coverings (plenty of sound deadening still under it) and the 4.3L. The truck was rock solid and the only thing that ever broke on it was the distributor cap cracked one winter when in a storm I literally packed the engine bay full of snow (you could see the hood liner in the snow when you popped the hood). Other than that one failure, routine maintenance and regular cleaning in, out and under and that truck was great. No bells and whistles to fail. What you save up front you give up later when you sell but that is fine. I was happy with what I was able to sell it for after 6 years and 140000 miles. Try to find a larger Chevy dealer as they likely have a better selection of the WT or LS trim packages. Have you tried to 'build it' on the Chevy website and then locate a dealer that has what you built?

I have built trucks on their website, but I haven't used that feature. I'll give that a try. Thank you.

One thing I want that I'm not seeing as an option in the WT and LS is the sliding rear window. I had that in my last truck and got a good bit of use out of that. The dog got a kick out of it too (an extra window for him to stick his head through), lol.

GMC is TRYING to sell only more well equipped trucks than the silverado. Across trim levels they are 8-12% more expensive regardless.

GMC has the highest per truck sale price of any brand on the market

I own an SLE (Z71 double cab), and drive a base model (v6 crew cab) at work. Both are 2015 GMC's.

There seems to be more engine noise with the work truck, but I think that may be attributed to the v6 (vs the v8 in my SLE).

As far as ride quality goes, they seem to be about the same.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

I'm leaning more towards just getting an Chevy in the LT trim. Value wise...as people here have said...it just looks like Chevy will be a better option for me.

There aren't many great deals around me, but the dealership my Dad bought his 2500 from runs a special on 1500 LT's that would make it worth my while to make a lon distance purchase.

• 5 months later...

Ok. I've decided on the LT. I definitely prefer the looks of the GMC, but I'm not willing to pay the difference to get into an SLE. The Elevation Edition would be fine too, but again...they don't seem to want to budge on those.

I'm shopping around at the moment. Hopefully I can get out of the car and into a nice new truck in the next few weeks.

Archived