In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
Northman

Why aren't you using your driving lights?

I just drove about 500 miles over the weekend through light rain, for and mist. Generally poor long range visibility conditions.

I noticed that although it makes you way more visible and safer, quite a few people don't use their driving lights when driving in these conditions.

I assume most newer cars have auto/driving lights now but some people chose not to use them even though it could prevent an accident. Why? Do they think it costs something to use them? Or does it?

What do you think? Is there a reason for not using them?

I would be using my headlights in those conditions anyway. I'm not sure why someone wouldn't...

• Like 1

Some don't realize that they help other cars see YOU! It's not you can see better, it's so you can be seen better by others.

• Like 2

I had a 2014 Ram 1500 that didn't have driving lights. You had to bring the truck in and have the computer reprogrammed to have the daytime running lights which I thought was really stupid. I notice a lot of newer cars don't have them anymore. I think all vehicles should.

In rain /fog / mist conditions i normally turn off my headlights and turn on my led pods which are located next to my fog lights. The pods have amber covers on them which make it much easier to see in these conditions and do not effect other drivers since they are mounted lo enough and aimed right.

I do keep my parking lights on with these also.

most vehicles have auto lights so most of the licensed general population has most likely never turned the lights manually on and off. My cruze with auto lights does not go on in cloudy or rainy days, i always find myself manually turning them on in bad weather

Edited by KMGZ400
  • Like 2

most vehicles have auto lights so most of the licensed general population has most likely never turned the lights manually on and off. My cruze with auto lights does not go on in cloudy or rainy days, i always find myself manually turning them on in bad weather

I turn the driving lights off in my Cruze when it's sunny out to preserve my headlight bulbs which are the Silverstar ZXE or whatever they are called. In any other weather though I have the headlights on.

If it's cloudy but my auto lights haven't turned on, I punch on the foglights. In my opinion, if you can't see the sun, your lights should be on.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

In rain /fog / mist conditions i normally turn off my headlights and turn on my led pods which are located next to my fog lights. The pods have amber covers on them which make it much easier to see in these conditions and do not effect other drivers since they are mounted lo enough and aimed right.

I do keep my parking lights on with these also.

Sounds like a good way to go, as long as the lights have a good cutoff and are not super bright. Yellow light keeps the glare down for yourself and others as well.

I've been thinking about buying the Rigid yellow covers and making some for the Baja Designs S2 lights

If it's cloudy but my auto lights haven't turned on, I punch on the foglights. In my opinion, if you can't see the sun, your lights should be on.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Agreed. My big white truck seems to be invisible to other drivers on cloudy mornings on the way to work. I'm usually reminded to turn on my Rigid DOT fogs after I get cut-off.

I found DRL light in the dash of my 96..

simply no circuit completed.

I cannot find how to get it going.

I agree about the yellow as well, a chinese amber LED is often shipped as yellow.

I got mine without intention of yellow.

looks good on a black truck anyway.

the old gmc had very dim parking at the very front.. like cadillacs and buicks etc.

I need to keep them on so the blinkers are seen on sunny days at the corners...the fog is the same as anyone else.

Hope to figure that DRL stuff out.. I actually like it and need it for sunny days.

my whole parking circuit uses a hardly anything today (complete LED - even the interior)

well I guess this vid explains it.

I have a manual tranny truck, no switch at the parking brake, no tell all at the gear shifter, no control module, relays, no fuse installed, no light in the dash installed.

simply never had the parts from factory.

maybe that makes a stereotyped 17 second truck a 13 second one. :)

Edited by barry G

I turn the driving lights off in my Cruze when it's sunny out to preserve my headlight bulbs which are the Silverstar ZXE or whatever they are called. In any other weather though I have the headlights on.

Are those bulbs any brighter then stock? I hate aftermarket HIDs and the stock lights are not bright on my Cruze.. About to put a lightbar in the bumper slot!

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses.

Its amazing how a car can be virtually invisible, in mist. I'm sure some people figure if they can see...

Are those bulbs any brighter then stock? I hate aftermarket HIDs and the stock lights are not bright on my Cruze.. About to put a lightbar in the bumper slot!

I think they are. I had to re-aim the lights because I was blinding people constantly. Did you try aiming your lights up a bit. I tried that before I added the brighter bulbs, and it helped.

The OP must not live in the Pacific Northwest around Seattle. Seems like nearly everyone here drives with their driving lights on all the time. I think they do it just to piss off other drivers. During my morning commute most of the cars coming the opposite direction have driving lights on, most of which are misaligned and glaring badly. I do use headlights whenever the vehicle is in motion, don't think the DRLs are really enough..

Edited by 06pirate