Throttle Body Pictures w/ Elite Catch Can & Clean Side Separator

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While all is good with what you have posted and i do agree with most of what you say, i have faith in GM un like most people that its not that big of an issue.

Generally the Internet likes to overhype all sorts of small things.

I will see about pulling my intake off since i am at about 60K mikes without a can and compair with what others have posted with similar mileage with a can and maybe go from their.

But thanks for sharing your knowledge!

Sent from my Note 4 on Tapashit

https://www.bgprod.com/bgfueltest/

Sure, there is some product promotion, but you can see the effects of oil pull through the PCV system back into the intake, and the lack of fuel to act as a cleaning agent on the valves. They have dynamometer results too that indicated power loss. We've had a couple of these Gen 5 engines apart, and yes, the back of the valves look like they do in the link above.

@arizonapatriot @ fonduepot does the catch can void your warranty? Really want to do this.

NO!

RT

Yes it can void your warranty IF something were to happen to the engine. Say, and this is an extreme example, but say it had an oiling issue or had a mechanical failure (rod through the block, etc) the first thing all GM dealers are instructed to do is inspect for AFTERMARKET MODIFICATIONS. Catch can, CAI, exhaust, tune, etc. ANYTHING present CAN cause warranty rejections. I'm not saying that it will automatically void any warranty, but GM's warranties are only covering any and all items that the vehicle was built with, including their own accessories, exhausts, CAI, etc.

If they can link the aftermarket mod to the failure, bye bye warranty.

dce5840595e42e21c3b93877dc77fc5d.jpg

My intake valves all look that way. I am at around 24000 miles and about 12000 of them with an elite E2X. I still get oil in the intake... not a lot... but the can doesn't catch much of anything either. I pulled my manifold because this....40ec5c47d2651677cd3da0425848b5ba.jpg

Happened. Don't ask how because I know about as much as you do. Somehow the clamp got hot and the heat transfer melted and deformed the intake tube... only me lol... I straightened the tube out by heating it with a propane torch lol. Needless to say my manifold has some dirt in it.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Boy, that's not bad at all. Again, for what you'd spend on a catch can that buys a lot of GDI top end cleaner. I would get just into a regimen of cleaning every 10k miles and I bet after 200k miles the top end looks as nice as the picture you posted above. :)

Pretty much lol. I am just happy my intake manifold is nice and clean again. I probably spent 15 minutes blasting through all the ports and the throttle body opening at the car wash. Hot water and soap cleaned it up like new lol.

My intake valves all look that way. I am at around 24000 miles and about 12000 of them with an elite E2X. I still get oil in the intake... not a lot... but the can doesn't catch much of anything either. I pulled my manifold because this....

Do you have the clean side?

Yup. I have a perfect clean intake manifold now as a reference... so if I pull my throttle body and there is still oil in there in a few miles... well... the can will probably be on the for sale section lol.

• 3 weeks later...

How much oil do these cans typically catch? I installed a Saiku Michi dual can set up at about 6k miles. I'm now at almost 15k miles and it's only collected 1-2 ounces of oil. I removed the throttle body and there was no sign of oil in the manifold or throttle. Im starting to think I wasted my time with this catch can. Is the catch not working or is there just not that much oil to catch?

How much oil do these cans typically catch? I installed a Saiku Michi dual can set up at about 6k miles. I'm now at almost 15k miles and it's only collected 1-2 ounces of oil. I removed the throttle body and there was no sign of oil in the manifold or throttle. Im starting to think I wasted my time with this catch can. Is the catch not working or is there just not that much oil to catch?

They can only catch as much as your truck passes through the PCV line...if the engine is tight, might not catch a whole lot. It also depends on the quality of the can and length of your trips I have a Polymer Concept, and don't catch all that much between changes...I attribute it to the 6.0l and long road trips.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

My RX catch can collected about 2 oz about every 1k. After removing my intake and Catch can I inspected the Throttle body and intake and there was no oil residue at all. I also was using the clean side separator.

Catchcan is totally engine dependent. I have kept everything my E2x has pulled thus far in one pop bottle and might have 8 ounces in there..... with at the most 2 tablespoons of it being oil. The rest is basically fuel and water..... I am pretty sure I could run without one and basically see the same amount of buildup in given time as I would with it. I put mine on at 12000 miles and my intake was mostly dry..... now at 20000 it's still dry.... still a film on the back of the throttle body though..... nothing is perfect.

Do you have a 5.3L engine? The intake port for the PCV system is halfway back on the valley cover on the driver side. The intake pork on the 6.2L is at the throttle body. So catch can or not, you'd never see oil in your air intake or throttle body on the 5.3L engine. But I bet if you pulled your valley cover before the catch can and again after, you would see a reduction in oil.

Truck is a 6.2... Has no trouble getting oil in the intake. I would never buy a 5.3 haha. The pcv pulls oil on either engine... The valley cover will be mostly unaffected from a catch can as it downstream of the cover and just filters the air you see going in the manifold..

Plenty of oil slobbering 5.3 trucks on here that have oil pooling in the intake manifold and fill their cans quickly with a lot more than water and fuel.

Sent from my PURE XL using Tapatalk

Truck is a 6.2... Has no trouble getting oil in the intake. I would never buy a 5.3 haha. The pcv pulls oil on either engine... The valley cover will be mostly unaffected from a catch can as it downstream of the cover and just filters the air you see going in the manifold..

Plenty of oil slobbering 5.3 trucks on here that have oil pooling in the intake manifold and fill their cans quickly with a lot more than water and fuel.

Sent from my PURE XL using Tapatalk

You're correct I misspoke I said valley cover and meant the intake manifold. What kind of catch can are you running?

Edit: Nevermind I see you said E2X earlier. Are you running a clean side separator?

Archived