2015 Chevy 2500HD Diesel Exhaust Problems

• 2 years later...

Hi my name is Darrell and I bought my 2014 3500HD Diesel late in 2014 and was told my dealer it was the last one off the line. I live in Blenheim Canada Ontario and that is were I purchased my truck.  I drove it for about a year with no problems and was very happy with my truck, until I noticed than my fuel millage was starting to go down. I am a contractor and pull a work trailer every day it carry's all tools and in fact I have it set up as a workshop inside. The trailer load I pull is roughly 5000 lbs. Because of the laws in Ontario I have to keep a log book of my daily travels which includes mileage. So in short after one year my mileage start to drop and it went from 1100 kms down to 700kms. At that point I informed my Service Manger Lori from The Blenheim Chev Dealership where is bought my truck. At that point they looked it over and decided to reset the computer. The next Day I was back to 1050kms per tank. This lasted for about 2 month before my mileage started dropping again. Lori then go a hold of GM and was told that he had to fine another truck like mine to compare mileage. I have a 3500HD with a long box and extended cab which means there are not a lot of choices around here to draw upon and in fact I was told I had the only one around and he could not find any.  I was just about to go on vacation and at that point in time I was getting 650kms per tank.  I hooked up my boat which has a load of 16000lbs and pulled it continually for about 6 hours and will under load I noticed my mileage was getting better and in fact by the time I returned home I was getting 1045 kms. per tank.   I took my truck back to the dealer and informed him. He had no answer and just smiled. Back to work but this time I didn't need to pull my work trailer as much and with in two fill up at the pumps my mileage started dropping again and in fact it went to as low as 600kms per tank not pulling anything.  Lets fast forward to 08/12/2019 my truck has never been fixed and now my engine light keeps going on , I have sent my mileage records into GM twice as per there request. Nothing has ever been done yet they have said for the last 2 years they have been working on it!!! Now just two weeks ago they had me drive my Truck in Manual for about 10kms at 35 hundred rpms , this was suppose to heat up the exhaust filler to help burn of waste. They then reset my engine light and sent me on my way  after only two days of highway driving with now trailer my light is back on. They were also trying to get me to buy a new catalytic converter but I said now the problem is in the Exhaust System . I have had enough and have paid over $10,000 in extra fuel cost. This dance has been going on long enough with the bill always coming to me !!!   Believe me when I say this is a very short version of what I have been going through. I have been a GM truck owner for over 45 years and this is the most money I have ever paid for a truck and the most problems I have ever had.  I now wave the white flag and give up.  PLEASE HELP ME !!!!!        

• 1 month later...

I have a 2015 2500HD LML 6.6 second owner. After Aug build.  Bought with 32k miles. I brought truck in for service recalls etc. Dropped $2K for the big service.   Yes, I keep up on maintenance.  Have about 15k miles driven no issues. Owned truck for 15 months.

Mass Air Flow went out about 3 months ago and had to wait almost 2 weeks for the part - national back order due to strike so I was told.

Fast forward -- got check engine light about 2 weeks ago P0420 CHEVROLET Possible Causes Faulty Three-way Catalyst Converter Bank 1 Exhaust Tube Intake Air Leaks Faulty Oxygen (O2) Sensor Faulty Fuel injector(s) Leaking Fuel Injector (s) Faulty Spark plugs Improper Ignition Timing Faulty Engine Control Module (ECM) Dirty Air Filter.  

I have about 47K on the truck now.  I never let the DEF get low and use Chevron fuel - ensure its high volume pump for my area.  Dealer is playing the Corp Game and they want to go round and round with me.  Truck has been in the shop now for a week. I'm $52k into the truck and $300 for diagnosis and No loaner.  I called GM today this maybe be my last bow tie Have a Camero, Tahoe and the 2500HD.  Mario -- I'm in the same mess that your in getting same fee's - will the emission  warranty cover, extended warranty and or out of pocket.  Will see how this goes but my loyalty and patience are running low.

Not getting political but this is pretty sad.  I live in California we have CARB emissions compliance and the EPA. Half the state can delete and half cannot.  They have lost their minds! Yeah we all want clean air.  But we burn more fuel and they have to produce more fuel. How is this good for the environment?  Then we have failures like this. I'm ready to count my loss and go back to gas or look at Dodge or Ford something older no DEF!

On 12/8/2019 at 9:42 AM, Bruins123 said:

Hi my name is Darrell and I bought my 2014 3500HD Diesel late in 2014 and was told my dealer it was the last one off the line. I live in Blenheim Canada Ontario and that is were I purchased my truck.  I drove it for about a year with no problems and was very happy with my truck, until I noticed than my fuel millage was starting to go down. I am a contractor and pull a work trailer every day it carry's all tools and in fact I have it set up as a workshop inside. The trailer load I pull is roughly 5000 lbs. Because of the laws in Ontario I have to keep a log book of my daily travels which includes mileage. So in short after one year my mileage start to drop and it went from 1100 kms down to 700kms. At that point I informed my Service Manger Lori from The Blenheim Chev Dealership where is bought my truck. At that point they looked it over and decided to reset the computer. The next Day I was back to 1050kms per tank. This lasted for about 2 month before my mileage started dropping again. Lori then go a hold of GM and was told that he had to fine another truck like mine to compare mileage. I have a 3500HD with a long box and extended cab which means there are not a lot of choices around here to draw upon and in fact I was told I had the only one around and he could not find any.  I was just about to go on vacation and at that point in time I was getting 650kms per tank.  I hooked up my boat which has a load of 16000lbs and pulled it continually for about 6 hours and will under load I noticed my mileage was getting better and in fact by the time I returned home I was getting 1045 kms. per tank.   I took my truck back to the dealer and informed him. He had no answer and just smiled. Back to work but this time I didn't need to pull my work trailer as much and with in two fill up at the pumps my mileage started dropping again and in fact it went to as low as 600kms per tank not pulling anything.  Lets fast forward to 08/12/2019 my truck has never been fixed and now my engine light keeps going on , I have sent my mileage records into GM twice as per there request. Nothing has ever been done yet they have said for the last 2 years they have been working on it!!! Now just two weeks ago they had me drive my Truck in Manual for about 10kms at 35 hundred rpms , this was suppose to heat up the exhaust filler to help burn of waste. They then reset my engine light and sent me on my way  after only two days of highway driving with now trailer my light is back on. They were also trying to get me to buy a new catalytic converter but I said now the problem is in the Exhaust System . I have had enough and have paid over $10,000 in extra fuel cost. This dance has been going on long enough with the bill always coming to me !!!   Believe me when I say this is a very short version of what I have been going through. I have been a GM truck owner for over 45 years and this is the most money I have ever paid for a truck and the most problems I have ever had.  I now wave the white flag and give up.  PLEASE HELP ME !!!!!        

Engines only provide enough fuel to overcome the load/develop the horsepower to make the 'pull' they are currently being asked to make.

Meaning, if it takes 50 hp to drive down the road at speed xyz, it doesn't matter what rpm its running, it still needs to make 50 hp.

A rpm vs horsepower graph shows the max horsepower at each rpm.

It can make any amount less than that, and will only produce the power necessary to maintain the speed.  

Point being, if you want to drive it and heat up the exhaust it needs to have a load applied.  Like the boat pull you made.  Running at high speed/low rpm isn't going to make as much heat as 'making it pull'.  As you found high rpm, but low/no load isn't going to heat the exhaust the way you wanted.

Might have better success with a service regen, which does a stationary regen, dumps excess fuel into the exhaust. (than the 10km 3500 rpm thing).  Regen's, including the service regen, create exhaust heat, without having the engine having to generate big horsepower.

What kind distances/speeds does the truck run in a normal day week?  Is it always pulling the trailer ?

• Like 1

Hi thanks for the response. I travel about 60miles a day to get to job site and back.   Since my last post I have had service  work done in the following areas. New catalytic converter installed , new sensors, and they reset my computer.  I took my truck on vacation and drove about 5 hours one way running around 60 to 70 miles per hour and averaged about 683.miles per tank.  That was about a month ago and slowly I can see the mileage dropping and I am down to 434 miles per tank. and back to driving about 60 miles a day.  I understand about loads and running hotter. they have reset my computer about 3 times with every time the same results I get great mileage for a month the it slowly goes away.