2006 Canyon/Colorado Steering

I have replaced the rack and pinion in my '06 Canyon SLE Crew Cab 3.5L with Z71 option. It's been only three years since the replacement, and the rack and pinion is leaking again. Has anyone else experienced this type of problem?

• 2 weeks later...

Sooooo, has anyone tried replacing the power steering rack in a 4WD Canyon or Colorado? Today, a friend and I tried to do just that in my 06 Canyon SLE 4WD Crew Cab. It took less than an hour to disconnect everything from the old rack. Then, we tried for over four hours to get the old rack out with no success. It appears that part of the front suspension and/or the transfer case and front axle have to be removed in order to slide out the old rack. Ended up re-connecting the old rack. Any ideas anyone?

Well, after yesterday's failure, I went to a trusted shop to schedule the rack replacement. The owner (a really good guy) looked up the process on Alldata and told me that on a 4WD Canyon or Colorado, you have to support the front axle carrier and unbolt the driver's side axle bracket from the frame. Then, shift the bracket position forward to give enough clearance for the old rack to slide out. So, if anyone else tries this repair, keep this tidbit in mind, and you won't go through the hassle that I did.

Archived