Pickup truck renewal in PA

Mossyoakglock

We will be going up to Pennsylvania in the next few months to pick up my girlfriend's uncle's '65 Mustang. We will be flying up and towing it back.

Does anybody know of a company in the Pennsylvania area (they live in York, PA) that rents pickup trucks? I'd love to have a diesel if possible but mainly need something that can tow a u-haul car hauler trailer and a '65 Mustang from York, PA to Nashville, TN.

I would start with a rental car company like hertz or enterprise. But start calling now so they can have a 2500 ready for you, they don't seem ever have many around. If you don't have luck in York, try searching around Harrisburg PA.

Thanks. It looks like I'm only going to be able to rent a Tahoe.

Most places don't give the option for a truck for a one-way trip. I'm not sure of the exact specs for the Mustang but looking online they weigh around 2,700 lbs which shouldn't be a problem for the Tahoe. Just need to make sure they have a hitch installed.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys. I'm not sure on the exact address, all I know is that they live in York.

The only place that I can find a Tahoe through Avis right now.

Enterprise on 30 by the Sheetz has Tahoes and Suburbans available. They had an Escalade there a couple of weeks ago.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

I rent 35-40 cars a year, so hopefully this helps:

You can rent pickups from most locations but I'm not sure towing is allowed on the standard contracts. UHaul does rent pickups and the trailer too obviously. You won't get a diesel from any of the normal rental places. HD trucks are out there, but they're lumped in with 1500s and are always gassers. The inventory is rotating and it is possible you may not get exactly what you've reserved.

Just a suggestion, but I would just drive my own truck there and then rent the trailer for the trip back. I figure once you take in account of the plane tickets and the rental of a truck then you'd probably save money driving yourself both there and back. I see you'rein TN so it's actually not terribly far from PA so that plays as a factor of why I think you should just drive your truck there and back. Just my opinion though. Maybe you already figured all of the #s up, but even if it cost a little more it's less hassle trying to hope you can rent a truck for the trip back.

Unless you rent from a uhaul-type place, Enterprise won't allow towing (and neither will their competitors). I agree with the previous comment, drive up (it's a day) and rent the trailer. I've never been able to rent a 2500 for more than local (and I have ten years of renting things likes this).

And most uhaul-type places only allow towing of their stuff...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

What about renting a box truck? Obviously, it needs to be big enough and have a ramp.

But yea, some rental vehicles don't allow towing & UHAUL is also 'picky' about what vehicle you use to tow with.

I've never looked myself, but there's gotta be a box truck option.....

UHaul? Penske? Lowes? Enterprise? Budget? Ryder? - these were all results I got from searching "Box Truck Rental York PA"

Enterprise will be a commercial truck if used for towing...

And they have a branch in Lancaster...

Enterprise doesn't do one way truck rentals.

Most certainly do (or at least they did)...rented from PA and dropped at NC.

And that was a 26k/24ft HD truck...

Most certainly do (or at least they did)...rented from PA and dropped at NC.

I'm planning a move right now and have an excellent relationship with the local enterprise. Per their website, no one way "commercial" truck rentals. Confirmed by my local contact. You can do one way in pickups and the small vans but anything from their commercial division has to be returned to the same location.

Archived