Oil Consumption

They changed it because the lower oil pan is smaller on the 2016's. Completely different part number.

Wrong!

Date: 5/11/2015 Ref. number: Service / Service Operations / G_0000216402 Subject: Engine Oil Capacity – With Oil Filter Has Changed

Engine Oil Capacity – With Oil Filter Has Changed
GM CUSTOMER CARE & AFTERSALES
URGENT - DISTRIBUTE IMMEDIATELY
DATE
05/11/2015
SUBJECT
The Engine Oil Capacity – with Oil Filter Has Changed
MODELS
2014 – 2015 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Chevrolet Tahoe, Suburban, Silverado, GMC Yukon, Sierra, Denali Equipped with GEN V V8 Engines - 5.3L RPO L83, 5.3L RPO L8B or 6.2L RPO L86
TO
Cadillac, Chevrolet and GMC Dealers
ATTN
Parts and Service Director, Parts Manager, Parts Counter Personnel, Service Advisor, Service Manager, Service Technician, and Fleet and Commercial Managers
The Engine Oil Capacity – with Oil Filter for all GEN V, V8 5.3L and 6.2L engines has been reduced from 8.5 quarts to 8.0 quarts.
This change has been implemented in SI and will be reflected in future Owner Manuals.
Thank you for your cooperation.
END OF MESSAGE
GM CUSTOMER CARE & AFTERSALES

• Like 1

They changed it because the lower oil pan is smaller on the 2016's. Completely different part number.

They changed it right at or maybe before even the '15s came out. I just went to the site which just has 2016s as far as I can see.

I used 8 qts when I changed the oil, that's what it has held every time.

If you are losing oil, head to the dealer to have them start a consumption test. HOWEVER...being that you change your own oil, make sure you have receipts, otherwise you may run into some warranty roadblocking.

I've had two oil burners, one I bought new 99 ford p/u 4.6. It used one qt every 2500 miles, ford said normal usage. It lasted me 130k with an added vortex s/c at 20k miles 5lbs of boost. Then I traded in. Second truck used off eBay custom hot rod truck. 92 382 stroker with a whipple s/c 12 lbs boost, one qt every 500 miles. Have it going on 5 years no issues, my weekend warrior. They used to claim one qt a tank normal, who knows?

My 1993 Silverado, 5.7 TBI, bought used with 40k miles used 1/4 to 1/2 a quart every 3k miles from day one. I drove it for 20 years and put 200k miles on it. It ran great at 240+k miles.

It's 8 quarts...

x2 - Glad to hear it.

My '16 factory fill read overfilled, about 1/4"-3/8" over the top of the hash mark on the stick since the day I bought it new. I measured level with the DIC's pitch and yaw angles at 0 with the engine warm. Changed oil at 1500 miles and pulled out 8.5 quarts including the oil drained from the filter.

I always fill about a 1/2 quart shy and top off as necessary, but the 8 quarts added when measured the same way, same temp brought the level to a hair over the top of the hash mark on the dipstick. So not top off......it holds exactly 8 quarts including the filter. And no more worry about the dipstick being too long..

I do have a range unit for sale if you would like it, just saying. Truck drives much better while in v8 the entire time, even my dad could tell the difference in his 09, said it felt like a whole new truck

Get it tuned? I just bought a Range device and so far real happy with it

Get it tuned? I just bought a Range device and so far real happy with it

I have a tune now on my truck, yes. But me and my dad both have used the range unit and both could tell a difference in the throttle response and peppiness in the truck not having to switch back and forth. I will say though, my canned Diablosport i2 tuner made me enjoy driving my truck. Shifts faster, better throttle response, faster, better towing, just all around better.

I am not knocking the OP and don't mean to offend anyone. Vehicles now days are far more advanced than 30 years ago, but that goes without saying that basic maintenance still applies. You should be checking your oil at the very minimum every month. All vehicle burn some oil, some more than others and for GM vehicles than they definitely burn oil, therefore check your oil. Do not base your oil level off of the DIC.

A long time ago you'd pull into the fillin' station and the attendant would check your oil. It was seldom a surprize when he would walk up to your window and show you that your oil was low. Your vehicle was getting a treat with a fresh can of oil! Now, if my vehicle shows it is low on oil between changes, it will go to the dealer for repair. My 09 Sierra 5.3 had a horrible oil consumption problem. I kept records and so did my dealership. Until I bought the 09, it had been about 20 years since I topped up a vehicle's oil between changes. It took a lot of record keeping and some persistence but gm finally paid for a major overhaul at 80k kms. I kept the truck until 165k and it never needed a top up of oil between changes after the major repair.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same problem 2014 GM Sierra 5.3, engine oil light came on half way through my oil change (48000km or 29800 miles). 2 liters (quarts) low in oil, got it towed to dealership they told me nothing wrong and added the oil back. When I bought this truck they told me the problem was fixed, I had same problems with 2008 and 2010 trucks. One thing is GM is not disclosing when you buy the truck( Only please check oil on every gas fill up), because I might of bought a different brand. Dealership wont touch my 2014 (only to do oil consumption test) and tell me its normal, I'm now dealing with GM corporate for a solution.

I will not ever buy another GM 5.3L truck with AFM, if someone does i would recommend a life time of free oil changes or a couple barrels of oil because this synthetic oil is expensive.