Oil Consumption

Same problem here. I was a quart and a half low 4000 miles into a 5000 mile oil change. GM told me that is normal oil consumption. So basically I paid a lot of money for a truck that consumes oil. Should've gone with a Tundra.....

Buy it new?

If so, how was it driven in the first 500 miles?

I had one new ford truck with the 4.6 in 1999 and years later bought a used 98 ford with the 4.6. The new one I put 130K miles on it. At 20K miles I put a Vortec S/C on it with 5lbs of boost. All the while it use a qt of oil every 2500 miles which the claimed was within specs. I've had dozens of new vehicles that was the only oil user I bought new. The 98 I bought used had 100K miles when I bought it. I used it for 30K miles never used a drop of oil. I did buy a used 94 Z28 in 95 that used a qt every 2500 miles put 130K miles on it still using that amount. Uncomfortable as it may be using oil doesn't necessarily mean the engine is bad. My stroked blown 92 350 in my truck has been running great for 6 years using a qt every 1000 miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uncomfortable as it may be using oil doesn't necessarily mean the engine is bad.

I agree that the engine isn't bad but there is something not right and can be repaired. Modern automobile engines aren't designed to burn or leak oil. It is not acceptable, imo, from a cost or environmental standpoint to lose a quart or two of oil between service intervals.

• 2 months later...

My 2014 has 42000 miles on it and is burning about 1qt every 2000 miles, with no obvious puddles in my driveway. I went to the dealer to start documenting the issue whether it was within normal consumption or not. So to the dealer for a oil change and asked to start a consumption test. I was then told after the multiple point inspection that they could not start the consumption test because the front main seal, oil pan gasket, and oil cooler lines were leaking. Oh and the reason I don't see any puddles is because the oil blows back under truck as I drive down the road. The truck sometimes sits for a week.

Of course I'm thinking the truck only has 42000 wtf. All repairs covered under powertrain thankfully, so now jumped through hoop one getting the leaks fixed which I understand but no signs of a leak, now on to the consumption test.

Gm just released a tsb in 9/17 stating confirmed oil consumption 1qt in 2000 miles on 5.3's built before 2015 the Pistons and rings should be replaced. So the consumption test should be interesting. 

But I had a 2006 with 150000 and never had to add oil between oil changes, so I call BS on any oil consumption being called normal. 

2014 5.3L purchased new. About to turn 40K. Does not seem to use any oil between changes. I use Mobil 1 0 20.

Hope you guys get it figured out cause most seem to not burn or use much.

Yotaman

• 3 weeks later...

I was going to ask if you put in the right amount too and don't feel bad if you didn't because I did the same not too long ago. I was so used to putting 6qts in my previous '08, I completely forgot the other 2qts lol. My "low Oil Level" light came on and i dismissed it the first time, but when it came on a second time, for some reason it just clicked and I said out loud "F@#$! I only put 6qts!" I pulled over right then and there at an advance auto and put 2qts in.

• 4 months later...

My 2017 I just noticed like a few weeks ago idling hard at red lights so checked out and down a quart. Brought to dealership they are going to start a consumption test....

2017 Silverado with 5.3l

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

My 2014 has 42000 miles on it and is burning about 1qt every 2000 miles, with no obvious puddles in my driveway. I went to the dealer to start documenting the issue whether it was within normal consumption or not. So to the dealer for a oil change and asked to start a consumption test. I was then told after the multiple point inspection that they could not start the consumption test because the front main seal, oil pan gasket, and oil cooler lines were leaking. Oh and the reason I don't see any puddles is because the oil blows back under truck as I drive down the road. The truck sometimes sits for a week.

Of course I'm thinking the truck only has 42000 wtf. All repairs covered under powertrain thankfully, so now jumped through hoop one getting the leaks fixed which I understand but no signs of a leak, now on to the consumption test.

Gm just released a tsb in 9/17 stating confirmed oil consumption 1qt in 2000 miles on 5.3's built before 2015 the Pistons and rings should be replaced. So the consumption test should be interesting. 
But I had a 2006 with 150000 and never had to add oil between oil changes, so I call BS on any oil consumption being called normal. 
Do you know the tsb number for this?

On 5/21/2018 at 9:15 AM, Rock1500 said:

Do you know the tsb number for this?

The updated # is PIP5382J issued 9/26/17.

I had the consumption test done the dealer told me the oil was a 1/2 quart low after driving for 2000 miles. I was told the truck has normal consumption, and it is OK. They didn't even top in off because the oil was in the crosshatched area on the dipstick. Told me to come back if it gets worse in the future. So I will end up adding oil before the next oil change. 

Whats funny is they had two other people in there complaining of oil consumption issues in other GM vehicles, guess this is the new normal for GM vehicles.  

I had two vehicles that used 1 qt of oil every 2500 miles. A 94 Z28, l sold it with 130K miles still using same amount. That vehicle at 20K was switched to amsoil and only had the oil changed 4 times from there. The next was a 99 Ford F-150. At 20K I put a Vortec S/C on it at 5lbs boost. Same thing sold it with over 100K miles. Both vehicles did that from new and never got worse. One other vehicle I have now is a 92 Chevy truck I bought used 7 years ago. It’s modified from bumper to bumper. The engine is a stroked 383, dart heads, MSD ignition, headers, Whipple S/C 5-10 lbs boost. The engine was claimed to be a fresh build. It used 1qt every 500 miles. I was pissed. Here I sit 7 years later no leaks no smoke, no clogged cats and no rebuild yet. If I haven’t seen it myself I wouldn’t have believed it. Both new vehicles I was told was within specks and wouldn’t get any worse, they didn’t.

41 minutes ago, Joesilverado14 said:

The updated # is PIP5382J issued 9/26/17.

I had the consumption test done the dealer told me the oil was a 1/2 quart low after driving for 2000 miles. I was told the truck has normal consumption, and it is OK. They didn't even top in off because the oil was in the crosshatched area on the dipstick. Told me to come back if it gets worse in the future. So I will end up adding oil before the next oil change. 

Whats funny is they had two other people in there complaining of oil consumption issues in other GM vehicles, guess this is the new normal for GM vehicles.  

I don't know how the dealer could say it was down 1/2 qt. if they didn't top it off.  Don't you top it off.  Let them do it when it is needed and keep the consumption test going.  If the dealer is too far away, have a quick oil change establishment top off your oil and give you a receipt stating how much was added and when.  You should not need to add oil between scheduled change periods on a newer vehicle.  When your dealer changes your oil next make sure they fill it to the top of the crosshatched marks and not above.  If your oil level stays well within the crosshatched marks before the next scheduled change then you are fine.  If not, then keep the test going.  It took me close to two years before they finally fixed my '09 but I was loosing a couple of qts between changes.  When they did repair my truck, changes in oil level were no longer visible on the dipstick between changes!

Edited by Donstar

1 hour ago, Donstar said:

I don't know how the dealer could say it was down 1/2 qt. if they didn't top it off.  Don't you top it off.  Let them do it when it is needed and keep the consumption test going.  If the dealer is too far away, have a quick oil change establishment top off your oil and give you a receipt stating how much was added and when.  You should not need to add oil between scheduled change periods on a newer vehicle.  When your dealer changes your oil next make sure they fill it to the top of the crosshatched marks and not above.  If your oil level stays well within the crosshatched marks before the next scheduled change then you are fine.  If not, then keep the test going.  It took me close to two years before they finally fixed my '09 but I was loosing a couple of qts between changes.  When they did repair my truck, changes in oil level were no longer visible on the dipstick between changes!

They just went by what the dipstick showed the oil level was about in the middle of the crosshatched area. They didn't top off because the oil level was not at or below the add mark on the stick.

This is a rant for another thread but I've had the same experience with two different dealers, and I'm just tired of their B.S., anytime I've had an issue they always acting like they never heard of the problem or issue. But all the issues that I have had with the truck you do a google search and find pages of people complaining about the same issue and even find GM service bulletins. I've had the following issues:

Condenser leak - took three months to get it fixed condensers on national back order, and truck out of 3/36

Radiator leak - out of 3/36 not covered under powertrain, VIN not covered under TSB, got GM to give assistance had to pay for parts only

Misfire - service tech told me they had check each plug and wire to find the problem (B.S.), the scan tool tells them which cylinder misfired,  found crack in plug wire connection replaced wire as the bulletin on this issue states to do, but charged me diagnosing fee, and acted like they did me a favor for not charging me for the plug wire.

Leaks - front main seal, oil pan gasket, and oil cooler lines were leaking covered under power train,  trans lines leaking not covered 

Oil consumption - oh it’s in a normal range

But ask if there is an issue they never heard or saw bulletin, but the info is all over several forums, and on AcDelco TDS. 

22 minutes ago, Joesilverado14 said:

They just went by what the dipstick showed the oil level was about in the middle of the crosshatched area. They didn't top off because the oil level was not at or below the add mark on the stick.

This is why I asked and why I said to have them fill it to the top of the cross hatched area.  They have a tendency to fill over the full line.    If half of the crosshatched area represents 1/2 qt and they overfill by 1/2 qt then you're down a whole quart.  I found that being polite, persistent and patient works with these dealership service departments.  Getting pissed off at an individual does no good as they all seem to follow a book of rules.  They are doing their jobs and you can't fault them for that.  I imagine that rule #63 reads, "If a customer brings in a warrantied vehicle for the same problem more than 100 times, drop the comment that this is normal and inspect the area of concern." ;-)