2015 Silverado Leaf Springs/Rear Noise

Have had my 2015 CC Z71 1500 to the dealer a couple times...finally offered to replace the leaf springs. However, now about a month or two later, same noises are back in full force. I'm absolutely stunned. Best I can tell, majority of the noise is due to the middle leaf shifting left to right under the top leaf and somehow causing this. Very noticeable when you rock the bed back and forth (right to left)...noise is audible when driving and taking a turn at low speeds whilst hitting a pothole, pulling into driveway, backing up/going forward over uneven ground at slow speeds. I'm stumped. Searched on here and did some reading...just don't know what else to do. Thought about getting rid of the truck because it pisses me off so much, but financially that would be a dumb move. Anyone found a better solution, or had their dealer locate a permanent solution?

Edited by SMTXAGGIE

I hear the same thing. Almost like a slapping or popping. I've read on diff forums that it is either the lead springs slapping together or the box is loose from the frame. Most likely it's the leaf. Read they make some covers to slip over the ends to cushion the blow but people have reported they aren't worth the cost. I'd be curious to hear what others have to say on this topic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's the deal... I had the exact same issue on my 2014. Backing up at low speed, uneven terrain, etc, was the the worst. pushing the bed up and down very lightly would duplicate. This wasn't the "clunk" sound some talk about .. that is a different issue. This was a squeak, or "creaking" sound. Anyway...Springs were replaced by dealer, issue came back a month later, etc, etc.

Then the 2016 came out - I always wanted the 6.2 and some of the other improvements, also thought the spring noise wouldn't be an issue. So I got the 2016.. 4K miles on the 2016.. and the exact same thing started happening. Dealer took apart, lubed, etc... no help.

It only gets bad when springs are dirty.. dirt get's all between the springs. I tired leaf spring clamps.. no real help. I wish someone could fix this, it makes me sick sometimes.

Let us know what you find out...

• Like 1

Here's the deal... I had the exact same issue on my 2014. Backing up at low speed, uneven terrain, etc, was the the worst. pushing the bed up and down very lightly would duplicate. This wasn't the "clunk" sound some talk about .. that is a different issue. This was a squeak, or "creaking" sound. Anyway...Springs were replaced by dealer, issue came back a month later, etc, etc.

Then the 2016 came out - I always wanted the 6.2 and some of the other improvements, also thought the spring noise wouldn't be an issue. So I got the 2016.. 4K miles on the 2016.. and the exact same thing started happening. Dealer took apart, lubed, etc... no help.

It only gets bad when springs are dirty.. dirt get's all between the springs. I tired leaf spring clamps.. no real help. I wish someone could fix this, it makes me sick sometimes.

Let us know what you find out...

I'm about to be at my whits end so I know the feeling. Mine too was creaking, it's what caused me to realize at first that any time I backed leaving the office or pulling in to the drive at home that it makes a annoying popping/clunk sound. It's not leaf spring slap, I know what that sounds like. Plus the sound is easily replicated by side to side motion/axle torquing to one side, and at really slow speeds. I'm pretty besides myself on it, I'm sure the dealer will say they've already replaced the leafs...however, I'm hoping since the sound is still there, and their decision to replace the leafs before, is enough for me to argue that they acknowledge that there is an issue and it has returned. I'm pretty pissed about the whole thing, spent 40k on this truck...shouldn't have to put up with this kinda crap.

• Like 1

I hear the same thing. Almost like a slapping or popping. I've read on diff forums that it is either the lead springs slapping together or the box is loose from the frame. Most likely it's the leaf. Read they make some covers to slip over the ends to cushion the blow but people have reported they aren't worth the cost. I'd be curious to hear what others have to say on this topic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would agree it's the leafs...replacing both leaf spring packs on my truck resolved the issue, although he we are back to the same issue two months later and prolly 5k miles

I feel you man... and it's not fixed on the new 2016's either! I feel like the leaf springs need some type of rubber sleeve around the parts the make contact with each other. I don't know. If you rinse them with some high pressure it does help. Also spraying with WD40 ... will make it better for a little bit. But that attracts more dirt in the long run..

I also guessing the guys are having the most issues with this are using there trucks off road? Just talking about dirt roads, etc, not necessarily mud bogging or anything like that. I know for sure it's dirt in the springs that cause the issues..

My truck sees lots of dirt and gravel roads, dealer suggested that being the reason for my issues...honestly i don't care even if I was mud bogging, it's a four wheel drive truck with an "all terrain" package....design it as such and it will perform as such. Hate to say it, as all three trucks I've owned have been chevrolets, but this is the kind of thing that will probably have me looking to other brands for my next purchase.

Mine is identical to this when rocked back and forth and the only way I've found to duplicate the sound when not driving.

With my buddy shaking the truck back and forth via my hitch I can confirm the second (middle) leaf is torquing back and forth out of alignment with the top spring. The popping/clunk can be felt through placing your hand along the side of the leaf spring pack as if there is a lip or something snagging it that it pops on. Driving me nuts!

This second video is a better representation of the sound while driving

Edited by SMTXAGGIE

Same issue on mine. I recorded the sound and played it for the dealer. They never heard of issue before. They looked it up and per gm a known issue and just greased the springs it helped some but not much. It was much worse when it was cold outside. Since it's gotten hot it had stopped.

Mine is identical to this when rocked back and forth and the only way I've found to duplicate the sound when not driving.

With my buddy shaking the truck back and forth via my hitch I can confirm the second (middle) leaf is torquing back and forth out of alignment with the top spring. The popping/clunk can be felt through placing your hand along the side of the leaf spring pack as if there is a lip or something snagging it that it pops on. Driving me nuts!

This second video is a better representation of the sound while driving

my truck does the same noise iv figured out it NOT the leaf springs but its the play in the axle shafts in the rear. if you jack up on side of the rear axle and pull in and out the axles moves maybe a 1/4" and its the same noise as if i shake the rear of the truck. i only descovered this because i was getting a clunk at low speeds and turning and i figured its the axle shaft play in and out.

Edited by scottl1346

my truck does the same noise iv figured out it NOT the leaf springs but its the play in the axle shafts in the rear. if you juck up on side of the rear axle and pull in and out the axles moves maybe a 1/4" and its the same noise as if i shake the rear of the truck. i only descovered this because i was getting a clunk at low speeds and turning and i figured its the axle shaft play in and out.

You beat me to it. That doesn't sound like springs but the free play in the axles...whether it's from play in the carrier or play near the end of the rear end housing. See if you can find a buddy with a rear drive car or truck. I've heard this before on my 79 Malibu which has a solid rear axle just not that loud

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk