What do ya Shoot? - Camera, Lenses, & other gear

Spurshot

What kind of cameras and gear do you guys shoot?

I've been an "equipment guy" in most of my hobbies and interests all my life. I suppose I think good gear will make up for my low talent.

I'm a Nikon guy. 'Been one since I got my first one at 12 years old in 1968. I was doing mostly black &a white back then. Developed and printed every size from wallet pix to 30x36 wet mounted. Bought my second one, an F-2 right out of high school. Then got away from photography for many years, taking only the occasional snapshot from various waterproof film cameras on horseback.

My wife tried to drag me back into it when she picked it up and bought a film SLR just before the dslr explosion, a N80 or 90, as I recall. Her interest in it waned after a couple years.

The digital boom hit and I reluctantly tossed my hat in the ring after they had been around a bit. A D50, followed by a D300, then the D7000 and a D7100. A week ago my new D500 showed up, but I haven't had time to really use it. Dealing with my elderly mother lately, so I loaned it to my next door neighbor to run it thru its paces. He's a dyed in the wool Nikon techie that has loaned me gear over the years and visa versa.

I like my Canon stuff. I still use a lowly T4i with 18-55, 18-135, and 75-300 lenses. I dont have the need to upgrade. The quality is good and it shoots 1080p video.

I shoot a Canon as well. 7D mark II, and a few lenses. Most used lenses are Canon 400mm F5.6L, Sigma 150-600 C for wildlife, and Canon 17-55mm f2.8, and the 50mm f1.8 for autos.

• Like 1

I shoot a Canon as well. 7D mark II, and a few lenses. Most used lenses are Canon 400mm F5.6L, Sigma 150-600 C for wildlife, and Canon 17-55mm f2.8, and the 50mm f1.8 for autos.

I havent played with different F stops yet, but that 18-135 is my favorite lens. Probably because i had to actually buy that one.
  • Like 1

I havent played with different F stops yet, but that 18-135 is my favorite lens. Probably because i had to actually buy that one.

Changing the F stops is really great for greater depth of field, and faster or slower shutter speeds depending on what your trying to achieve.

Changing the F stops is really great for greater depth of field, and faster or slower shutter speeds depending on what your trying to achieve.

Chris,

Wide apertures give shallow depth of field, or a shallow focus range. Useful for accentuating the subject.

Smaller apertures give more depth of field.

Rules

1 f stop = 1/2 or double the light, depending on whether you open or close the aperture.

1 shutter speed is either 1/2 or double the light depending on faster or slower

1 shutter speed is equal to 1 f stop and they are interchangeable.

The lenses I have for my Nikon include 10-24 AFS DX f3.5-4.5, 16-80 AFS DX f2.8-4, 18-105 AFS DX f3.5-5.6, 35-70 AF ED f2.8D, 70-200 AFS DX VR f2.8, 70-300 AFS VR f4.5-5.6, 60mm micro AFS f2.8G, and a Sigma 120-300 f2.8. I need to thin some lenses..

I think I have enough flashes. (2) SB-800s, (1) SB-700, (1) SB-300, (1) SB-400 I could stand to reduce here too.

Edited by spurshot

I need a flash, and the lens i used at the meet was my 18-55. The standard one that comes with the camera. I need to get something a little wider i think too

The lenses I have for my Nikon include 10-24 AFS DX f3.5-4.5, 16-80 AFS DX f2.8-4, 18-105 AFS DX f3.5-5.6, 35-70 AF ED f2.8D, 70-200 AFS DX VR f2.8, 70-300 AFS VR f4.5-5.6, 60mm micro AFS f2.8G, and a Sigma 120-300 f2.8. I need to thin some lenses..

I think I have enough flashes. (2) SB-800s, (1) SB-700, (1) SB-300, (1) SB-400 I could stand to reduce here too.

the 10-24 must be interesting.

strangely a focus for internet generation..

the "tiny" width. (it means everything is tiny) :)

I was handed a 35mm in the 80s. Film.

the only picture that was not of someone who is dead today was taken by my dead grandma..

a picture of me.

in this scary place called rural maine where the soul less and primates still roam, the stereotype of cameras and a boy working it, had me get rid of it.

After my close call in long term disability, military sucker punches..

that camera got real important in my memory.

I first got a 1 megapixel fuji film for digital.

that one got some tropical spider in brewer maine, now a copyrighted photo of choice for some bug site.

inspired by accident, odds and chance..

and that is photography anyway.

making history.

I then got one for free, an hp (hewlett packard) something.

my first nikon is still working.

coolpix 5mp..several thousand shots with that one.

I then fell for the sony translucent stuff.

sony slt a-35. First real camera.

that one will never get old to me.

..and that does lead to some advice.

never let an old camera go.

it is amazing what years does.

for lenses, I got the crazy version of the 55-200.. the 200 end is more like a 400. Well known mistake among sony gurus.

glad I found one cheap.

the other is regular 18-55, every day stuff.

I go extraterrestrial out here in the maine skies, where the stars are sparkling like a mig welders torch, and mars is actually red.

I have two more lenses I want to get some day.

something finally satisfied is staying in manual mode at all times.

I revolve around iso400 most of the time.

the way the sony controls.. the aperture and shutter speed is a very quick move.. just had to learn it, like a six gun to a cowboy.

Edited by barry G
  • Like 1

Barry, I think learning to shoot manually, without a light meter, using only experience of ASA/ISO - aperture - shutter speed, and your gut, provides a huge insight. Like you said: like a six gun to a cowboy.

The Nikon 10-24 is a new (to me) addition to my collection in the past month. No pix with it yet. It replaced a Tamron 11-18, as the Nikon is known to be better in all regards.

The best glass I have is the Nikon 70-200 AFS VR f2.8 with super fast focus and my old film lens, a 35-70 f2.8D which auto focuses but doesn't have a motor in the lens, relying on the body motor to mechanically drive focus much slower. The D500 came kitted with a new design 16-80 f2.8-4 lens which is being given high marks for sharpness, color, etc. that may make me give up the all metal and ED glass bulletproof, ton and a half, 35-70

I need a flash, and the lens i used at the meet was my 18-55. The standard one that comes with the camera. I need to get something a little wider i think too

If you mean you need a wider lens for shooting cars, in my opinion, you don't. I used to work for Honda taking pics at their dealership, and I used my 17-55. I have a 10-22mm, but never use it for automotive, just real estate, and landscape. Cars shows are tricky, but I would rather shoot cars at a longer focal point if possible, but i know that's not always possible.

If you mean you need a wider lens for shooting cars, in my opinion, you don't. I used to work for Honda taking pics at their dealership, and I used my 17-55. I have a 10-22mm, but never use it for automotive, just real estate, and landscape. Cars shows are tricky, but I would rather shoot cars at a longer focal point if possible, but i know that's not always possible.

Not for cars, just in general for when im on the road or in the mountains and want to save a moment
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm a Nikon guy, and photography is a hobby I enjoy.

Nikon bodies:

D70, D300, D3s, and D4s

Nikon lenses (I only buy Nikon):

Prime:

10.5mm f/2.8 (DX)

85mm f/1.4

105mm f/2.8 VR

200mm f/4 macro

200mm f/2 VR2

Zoom:

14-24mm f/2.8

17-55mm f/2.8 (DX)