Honda Ridgeline Weighs In On Which Bed Material Is Toughest - Video

Gorehamj

post-139450-0-87215900-1465845413_thumb.png

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
6/13/2016

No story has generated as much interest lately among GM-Trucks.com readers than the GM concrete block bed test video vs. Ford. Our readers had a lot to say. A couple of those who offered comments mentioned that they could foresee composite beds like those used in the Tacoma and Ridgeline as the future choice of designers.

In an attempt to jump in on the discussion, Honda has offered its own video showing the results of dumping hundreds of pounds of concrete blocks into the bed of its truck, the new 2017 Ridgeline. Unlike the Ford, which suffered punctures, and the GM truck, which had dents, the Ridgeline is basically undamaged.

The tailgate and under-bed cargo area were also unfazed by the test. What say you GM-Trucks faithful? Is "steel or aluminum" the wrong question?

More On Ridgeline here.

- Ridgeline Overview

- Ridgeline - What's It Like To Drive?

I wonder which of them drives the Ram?

I am a Honda fan, I have a Honda 4 wheeler and a Honda Motorcycle, Even had a CRX back in my youth. But that's not a truck......

I wonder which of them drives the Ram?

I am a Honda fan, I have a Honda 4 wheeler and a Honda Motorcycle, Even had a CRX back in my youth. But that's not a truck......

My thoughts exactly. Good brand, nice "ute" but.. thats not a truck.

Never cared for the Ridgeline, but at least now they're more of a truck than the previous one. Well at least when talking about the bed since it doesn't have all that plastic crap anymore. The cab and front end still look too much like a crossover than a truck though. But, I guess if someone is wanting a Ridgeline then they don't care if it looks like a truck or not. The dual opening tailgate is a decent idea for an SUV, but doesn't really make much sense on a truck. Also not sure what I think about the integrated "trunk" in the bed. I'd rather that space be used for a full sizer spare under the bed. I have a feeling that it doesn't have a spare, but come with that fix a flat stuff that some cars have instead of an actual spare.

Never cared for the Ridgeline, but at least now they're more of a truck than the previous one. Well at least when talking about the bed since it doesn't have all that plastic crap anymore. The cab and front end still look too much like a crossover than a truck though. But, I guess if someone is wanting a Ridgeline then they don't care if it looks like a truck or not. The dual opening tailgate is a decent idea for an SUV, but doesn't really make much sense on a truck. Also not sure what I think about the integrated "trunk" in the bed. I'd rather that space be used for a full sizer spare under the bed. I have a feeling that it doesn't have a spare, but come with that fix a flat stuff that some cars have instead of an actual spare.

If you watched closely you could see the spare when he opened the storage compartment

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

If you watched closely you could see the spare when he opened the storage compartment

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Oh ok, didn't see it. I still prefer a full size spare, especially on a truck. That spare looks like it could be full size height wise, but looked about half the width. Could be wrong though, just what it looks like to me.

Still not sure about having a "trunk" there though. Ya it's a good place to store stuff like straps, but what if you need to get to something with stuff in the bed. I just prefer a crossover toolbox to put all my crap, well most of it. Still need the underseat storage bin lol.

its still a honda

I am all for a composite bed as long as it doesnt inflate the price

I think that is one thing I'd be willing to pay more for. Mainly because of living in the rust belt.

No doubt honda makes quality machines; however, that truck is ugly! Haha. I do think the trunk is pretty cool though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let's face it, if it's not an American brand then it's not really a truck!

I like the trunk, and anything to reduce weight would be cool but knowing GM that'll mark the truck up another 2500 lol. I do agree that it would be great since it wouldnt rust out, and it looks like the bed liner material comes molded in the bed so you dont have to spend extra on that as well

No doubt honda makes quality machines; however, that truck is ugly! Haha. I do think the trunk is pretty cool though.

Let's face it, if it's not an American brand then it's not really a truck!

My personal opinion is that the only non - domestic pickup brand that's worth having would be a Toyota. Nissan maybe but the newer stuff isn't as great, at least looking tough wise and all. Now older Toyotas and Nissans are pretty good trucks. I'm a domestic guy but I have no problem saying if a non domestic brand is good or not. Honda should just stick with cars and anything with a small engine like generators lol. I remember Howey Long poking fun at Honda for that a few years back in a Chevy commercial lol.

I love the Honda 13 on my generator, it's never let me down. Really easy to start for an engine its size, too.

That said, unless you put a salt spreader in it, the bed pan seems to be one of the least rust-prone areas. Fenders are another story, though, and I think composite front and rear fenders would be welcomed by a lot of people. I'd like to see how much of the bed structure on these is metal. I guess with such a light payload, it's not likely much.

I'm still not a fan of the donut spare. One of the big benefits of a truck is being able to throw on the spare and keep going like nothing happened until you have a chance to repair it.

My personal opinion is that the only non - domestic pickup brand that's worth having would be a Toyota. Nissan maybe but the newer stuff isn't as great, at least looking tough wise and all. Now older Toyotas and Nissans are pretty good trucks. I'm a domestic guy but I have no problem saying if a non domestic brand is good or not. Honda should just stick with cars and anything with a small engine like generators lol. I remember Howey Long poking fun at Honda for that a few years back in a Chevy commercial lol.

Toyota has it's fair share of problems with the Tundra and Tacoma. Just like Nissan does with the old Titan and the new Titan. New Titan- they can't sell em.. no one wants them.. :crackup:

Archived