GMT-900 2007 Escalade ESV - aluminum vs steel control arms - interchan

Cut to the chase; Are the steel control arms interchangeable with the aluminum arms in a stock usage?

All my searching has detailed the differences in the lower control arm ball joints and most discussions center on what arms are needed for use with various lift kits. These discussions imply that you can swap arms to get the ones needed to work with the lift kits. However, I have a different desire.

I need to replace the control arms as the bushings are soft (age) and allow wheel oscillations. The 22" wheels (and the 305 tires) I have installed are pretty heavy and really make the worn bushings apparent. If it's a direct swap, I'd like to install the aluminum lower arms in place of the current steel ones, to reduce the unsprung weight.

Can anyone verify that the aluminum arms will directly install in place of the steel ones with no other changes?

Thanks

• 6 years later...

I'm aware we are 6 years down the road but I am just now coming to this bridge on my '12 1500 Denali.

Wanting to replace the existing aluminum control arms with steel as they are a bit more affordable. Did you ever give this a shot?

Thanks.

On 10/3/2022 at 5:28 PM, SlowB said:

I'm aware we are 6 years down the road but I am just now coming to this bridge on my '12 1500 Denali.

Wanting to replace the existing aluminum control arms with steel as they are a bit more affordable. Did you ever give this a shot?

Thanks.

Sierra or Yukon or Yukon XL?  I "think" you also have to change the knuckle but to be sure, plug your VIN in at these two website and have a look:

https://parts-catalog.acdelco.com/acesCat.php?glsId=aces

https://www.gmpartsgiant.com/