Engine Tick - 2015 GMC Sierra 5.3

I had a tick on my ‘15 when accelerating and even more so at low RPM. I tried switching to premium gas to see if that had anything to do with it and that took care of it. Never had the tick again. Even went down to the mid grade fuel still with no tick. I was on a 3 year lease so I didn’t worry too much about it since I knew I was going to turn the truck in anyway. My solution wasn’t very cost effective by paying more for gas, but it worked for me.

I ran a tank of premium a month or two ago and had no change in the noise.  Seems strange that a noise that can be initiated/stopped with a turn or a bump if fuel related.  But none the less I did a seaform treatment this weekend.  Since the air intake was slightly loose on the throttle body while spraying the can of seafoam in, I had an extremely rough idle and "low power" light on the dash.  The engine was shaking around pretty bad, and would make a rattle/clatter sound on the lower driver's side of the engine.  Seemed to sound similar to the noise we hear inside.  But I might just be grasping at straws here.

I put seafoam in the tank too.  And will run a higher octane the next few tanks.  But as I said, because the noise is intermittent, I am doubting it is related to fuel quality.

• Like 1

Mine is getting very consistent in nature. If I do a long moderate brake pressure stop from a higher speed like mph 50+ it will be quiet every single time I start moving again until I hit some sort of decent sized road imperfection. My quickie exhaust flapper wire open finally came apart last week (I can hear a squeak again) and it seems my ticking is much louder again at its peak noise levels. 

I have been to busy to make an appointment with the service guys. I will try and do that this week. Also going to try and ratchet strap the engine with some downward pressure. If that keeps the noise quiet that will tell us it is something related to external components. If it stays present with bumps and such it would be internal engine (I still don't see how that is possible unless it is torque converter related?).

Will let you know what I find. 

15 minutes ago, Jonty711 said:

I ran some Lucas injector cleaner through mine and cinched up the pcv valve a little bit, and the noise stopped for a couple hundred Kms, but the air temp was cooler. 

Its back yesterday, air temp is around 34 degrees centigrade.

Be careful with that PCV screw.  It's weak aluminum.  I sheared mine off this spring while attempting to tighten it.  No improvement with a new, tightened screw.

4 minutes ago, AdamGMC2017 said:

Be careful with that PCV screw.  It's weak aluminum.  I sheared mine off this spring while attempting to tighten it.  No improvement with a new, tightened screw.

Thanks for the heads up. Just gave it a quarter turn. It’ll get no more. 

I just noticed a rhythmic tick when i started the truck in my garage the other day. First time I’ve ever noticed. At idle, it’s a slowly paced tick that I notice from under the truck. Not a fast paced like something’s vibrating. Is this a fuel pump

6 minutes ago, Jchoi said:

I just noticed a rhythmic tick when i started the truck in my garage the other day. First time I’ve ever noticed. At idle, it’s a slowly paced tick that I notice from under the truck. Not a fast paced like something’s vibrating. Is this a fuel pump

Could be any multitude of things 

fuel pump

lifter

injector

vacuum pump

ac compressor

belt tensioner

does the tick go away upon acceleration?

1 minute ago, Sierra Dan said:

Is the ticking lower in the engine oil pan or transmission area?

Lower for sure. Seems louder from passenger side. Truck is 3 months old .  Could be off about passenger side but definitely lower. 

Edited by Jchoi

6 minutes ago, Jonty711 said:

Could be any multitude of things 

fuel pump

lifter

injector

vacuum pump

ac compressor

belt tensioner

does the tick go away upon acceleration?

I’ll have to check, but I didn’t notice it Until I parked it In the garage.