Jump to content

tobinstetson

Engine Tick - 2015 GMC Sierra 5.3

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, MapleBud said:

How did you grease it?  Did you put grease in the boot?

I used a grease gun with a flexible hose and needle tip.  The grease in the gun is made by mercury marine for lubing various points on boat outdrives and bearings.  It’s tacky and should tolerate heat and water.  The boot seems to have a collar inside and there is play between the collar and boot and collar and column.  I just pumped a bunch in all the “gaps” and wiped the excess off the column.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, hihosilverado said:

I used a grease gun with a flexible hose and needle tip.  The grease in the gun is made by mercury marine for lubing various points on boat outdrives and bearings.  It’s tacky and should tolerate heat and water.  The boot seems to have a collar inside and there is play between the collar and boot and collar and column.  I just pumped a bunch in all the “gaps” and wiped the excess off the column.

Do you have a pic of what you’ve done?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, NE18 said:

With the information from this thread, I went to the dealer and told them about the pip5570 and had the service performed in mid-December. Sound went away initially but now its back. Truck is going back in next week.

So I got mine done dec 27, and I can faintly hear it coming back. It’s starting to piss me off

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
So I got mine done dec 27, and I can faintly hear it coming back. It’s starting to piss me off
I'm thinking about rigging up a piece of sound proof material and gluing it around steering column and hole on the inside. Hell, I may even just duct tape it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, NE18 said:

With the information from this thread, I went to the dealer and told them about the pip5570 and had the service performed in mid-December. Sound went away initially but now its back. Truck is going back in next week.

I thought I was going crazy but I started noticing it again this past weekend. Not as bad as it was before but it's there. Let us know how this goes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok so I thought the sound was coming back but I’ve noticed it’s more of a wind sound. It seems my truck is missing weather strip off the drivers door. ca1e83f13df8b178ed09fac90ab21ad8.jpgea7318cbfbb84f4868b6d4a62219de9b.jpg


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/3/2019 at 7:25 PM, NE18 said:

With the information from this thread, I went to the dealer and told them about the pip5570 and had the service performed in mid-December. Sound went away initially but now its back. Truck is going back in next week.

Picked up the truck. The sound was confirmed. They reinstalled the steering column seal and ensured it was fully seated. The sound is now gone. We’ll see how long it’ll last. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2019‎-‎01‎-‎13 at 11:13 AM, MapleBud said:

Ok so I thought the sound was coming back but I’ve noticed it’s more of a wind sound. It seems my truck is missing weather strip off the drivers door. ca1e83f13df8b178ed09fac90ab21ad8.jpgea7318cbfbb84f4868b6d4a62219de9b.jpg


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you open the door you will see the weatherstrip on the inside. It's just pinched.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Blk17Machinep said:

2 dealers and not one can find this 5570 bulletin... 

Sorry to hear that. Maybe a call to Chevy corporate is necessary to help you and inform the dealers of the bulletin. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 dealers and not one can find this 5570 bulletin... 

I printed and brought them the bulletin and they had no issues changing it


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
If you open the door you will see the weatherstrip on the inside. It's just pinched.

It was missing, holes were exposed, replaced without issue


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Blk17Machinep said:

One dealer said “I’m gonna be honest here with you sir I’m not finding anything 5570” I read it aloud to him and still nothing.

maybe I’ll call Cadillac and gmc.

I FUGGGING HATE GM 

Wow. If I was in your situation I’d probably do the same. Grease it but I’d trade it in as soon as it made financial sense. The tick was annoying especially when towing and I couldn’t put up with it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MapleBud said:


It was missing, holes were exposed, replaced without issue


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow. Unbelievable that it was missed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the grease trick it ACTUALLY worked for me!  I grabbed a socket and tightened everything around the boot where it meets the firewall.  Surprisingly everything was not tight.  Next I did my best to get stp hi temp grease inside the boot from under the hood.  I then greased the exposed steering shaft hole from inside the truck.  So after doing this combination I took it for a 30 min test drive (hills, highway, side streets) and I couldnt hear anything.  I’m shocked and I hope it holds up.  i think the combination of what I did  contributed to less sound entering the cab.  2018 silverado crew cab Z71

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.