Engine Tick - 2015 GMC Sierra 5.3

I don't think some people understand. I hear injector tick and that's okay. This noise comes and goes as I drive. I call it a tick. Maybe a knock is a better way to describe it. Either way it is not normal. It is loud. It is annoying and I should be fixed. I think it's a manifold. Maybe it's a valve. I spent a lot of money on a GMC and if they can't fix it I'll probably switch brands for the first time ever so GM should care.

I can't tell you how many times people have freaked out over the tick from the direct injectors firing. I'm on my 2nd K2XX truck and neither has had anything other than the normal tick sound. But then some people have sensitive hearing. I don't. And I put my electric cutout from my 14 on my 16, so its loud as F now so who cares. hahahaha

• Like 1

Gm has billions of other sales. Honestly your threatening to leave is like a drop of water in the sea. Won't prove anything or affect them at all. Good luck with your other brand and hope it doesn't have any issues.

I have warrenty and GM is honouring. I'm trying to find a fix to an annoying issue and they are working through the process. I'm just saying it is frustrating on a brand new vehicle. I hope I don't have to switch but, GM will loving keeping the easy customers that put up and shut up.

I have warrenty and GM is honouring. I'm trying to find a fix to an annoying issue and they are working through the process. I'm just saying it is frustrating on a brand new vehicle. I hope I don't have to switch but, GM will loving keeping the easy customers that put up and shut up.

Does it sound like someone taking a quarter between their thumb and forefinger and is lightly tapping it on the windshield!

?????

Does it sound like someone taking a quarter between their thumb and forefinger and is lightly tapping it on the windshield!

?????

Sorta sounds like that. I'd say tapping a quarter on the floor boards in the driver side foot well would be more accurate. Do you have this noise as well?

Sorta sounds like that. I'd say tapping a quarter on the floor boards in the driver side foot well would be more accurate. Do you have this noise as well?

No I don't, but my truck only has 2000 miles on it now.

My '04.5 Dodge/Cummins made a sound like this and it had to do with the "phasing" of the pulses of the high pressure fuel pump and the pistons. It caused some minor gear lash sounds. To fix or lessen the sound you needed to pop the gear off the high pressure pump and rotate the engine in 30 degree increments until you found the "sweet spot". The pump gear was on a tapered shaft, not a keyed shaft, so you were not retiming anything, but re-arranging the pulses.

No I don't, but my truck only has 2000 miles on it now.

My '04.5 Dodge/Cummins made a sound like this and it had to do with the "phasing" of the pulses of the high pressure fuel pump and the pistons. It caused some minor gear lash sounds. To fix or lessen the sound you needed to pop the gear off the high pressure pump and rotate the engine in 30 degree increments until you found the "sweet spot". The pump gear was on a tapered shaft, not a keyed shaft, so you were not retiming anything, but re-arranging the pulses.

That sounds a bit above my pay grade but interesting. You'd think my pump replacement wouldn't have been installed in the exact position of the old one and therefore would have been in a different phase of the engine rotation. After the replacement, i'm getting the exact same sound.

I've always thought mine was something simple like a manifold or exhasut leak somewhere. The GM mechanics don't think so though.

When the dealership installed the new GM Borla Exh on my truck Wednesday I noticed that there was an odd looking exh connection right behind the third catalytic converter and before the flex connector. My first thought was this looks like a likely spot for a leak! Everything else in the system is welded the best that I can tell. I attached a couple of pics here.

When the dealership installed the new GM Borla Exh on my truck Wednesday I noticed that there was an odd looking exh connection right behind the third catalytic converter and before the flex connector. My first thought was this looks like a likely spot for a leak! Everything else in the system is welded the best that I can tell. I attached a couple of pics here.

attachicon.gifexh connection front.JPG

attachicon.giffront exh connection.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_2549.JPG

Thanks for posting the pics. I'll crawl under my truck soon and take a look. Would that suspect connection be under the drivers floor?

We've had three trucks with a loud ticking and one of the pushrods on the AFM lifters was bent. I guess the lifter will stick and cause the pushrod to bend. All three times we replaced the affected pushrod, Vlave and the VLOM and they haven't come back.

• Like 1

I started the other thread, 5.3 exhaust leak, and all the symptoms described here match my noise. I've yet to reach a solution although I've only had time to bring it to the dealer that one time. I was quite disappointed when I was told "the fuel pumps get louder with time". Well GM, that's not the truck I test drove and bought... I don't know what recourse I have, but it's very disappointing to drive my truck right now.

I've been battling with GM about this a long time. I took a video of the issue I'm hearing. Is this the same issue that you guys are all experiencing?

Good idea on the video Paticus. I was thinking of a way to do that as well, but my noise only happens while i'm driving. Is your video filmed at idle? that sounds like mine at idle, which i think sounds fine. While I drive the truck makes a louder knock/tick now and then. V4 mode is the worst.