Engine Tick - 2015 GMC Sierra 5.3

Cannot hear anything but some roaring in the audio clip....... can you identify the exact time stamps on the audio clip to really listen in for some tick noise? Might just be the HVAC mixing door motor clicking where the plastic gear teeth are broken off? Turn your HVAC OFF BAM problem solved.

Edited by MyFavTruck

• 2 weeks later...

I called my GM dealer and asked what is the next move into fixing the noise in my truck. They told me GM said the only bulletin out now to correct engine noise is a fuel pump replacement so thats it.

I said this is unacceptable that the diagnostics stops there because someone in Detroit doesn't have a fix. She said come in and go for a drive with the tech's again. I hope to get in tomorrow.

in the meantime, I think tonight i'm going to try to tape my iphone somewhere secure in the engine bay, and record the noise as I drive to see if I can hear it better from under the hood. Maybe it work. maybe it'll just be wind noise.

Stopped into my Dealer today and talked with two tech's. They are now going to replace the lifters in the truck. The tech said he knew as soon as he drove after the initial repair that the fuel pump didn't fix it and i'd have to come in and complain again. I wish they'd tell you all this stuff. i was pretty mad in between service visits.

i hope the lifters fix the issue. I have an video of the noise. I'll try to clip it down and post it.

• 2 weeks later...

I think my truck is fixed!! :thumbs::cheers:

My Truck went into the dealer on Tuesday morning for the Engine Tick. The tech explained to me that the AFM uses collapsable valve lifters acutated by oil pressure to shut off and turn on the 4 cylinders. He said sometimes they go bad and the valve lifters "tick". Two days in the shop and I got it back last night. So far so good!

Fingers Crossed, but it seems that found the tick. I hope this helps everyone else figure out the noise they are experiencing.

• Like 1

I've been battling with GM about this a long time. I took a video of the issue I'm hearing. Is this the same issue that you guys are all experiencing?

This is exactly what my 16 does. So annoying.

Sent from my treestand using Tapatalk

I think my truck is fixed!! :thumbs::cheers:

My Truck went into the dealer on Tuesday morning for the Engine Tick. The tech explained to me that the AFM uses collapsable valve lifters acutated by oil pressure to shut off and turn on the 4 cylinders. He said sometimes they go bad and the valve lifters "tick". Two days in the shop and I got it back last night. So far so good!

Fingers Crossed, but it seems that found the tick. I hope this helps everyone else figure out the noise they are experiencing.

Please report back on this, did that fix t?

This is exactly what my 16 does. So annoying.

Please report back on this, did that fix t?

Hi MO,

It has fixed the problem. I still get a slight DI noise but thats okay. The really deep tick noise is gone! Hope you can take this to your dealer and say that the valve lifters need replacement

Hi MO,

It has fixed the problem. I still get a slight DI noise but thats okay. The really deep tick noise is gone! Hope you can take this to your dealer and say that the valve lifters need replacement

Thanks man. I did notice yesterday that the tick goes away if my a/c is off! Takes about 30 seconds with it off and gone. It makes this sound in the video I'm posting. I figured there was no way for me it could be lifters because it is not a constant tick, also doesn't do it at idle. You have to turn your volume all the way up to hear the ticking https://vimeo.com/183200747

Stetsie, I'm highly interested to understand in detail what was replaced on your truck so I can instruct my incompetent dealership to do the same. Assuming this is resolved for you. The diagnosis definitely aligns with the issue.

Hi Paticus,

They replaced the 8 valve lifters on the driver side bank of the motor along with all the gaskets and seals that go with that. By the look of the work order, they had to removed the cylinder head to do the work and also replaced the exhaust manifold on that side. If you add up the work order, it's pretty expensive.

I should note that this noise was not the DI tick. my valves were definitely messed up. sometimes pulling a trailer up a hill i thought the valves were going to come through the hood. haha

Edited by stetsie

Hi Paticus,

They replaced the 8 valve lifters on the driver side bank of the motor along with all the gaskets and seals that go with that. By the look of the work order, they had to removed the cylinder head to do the work and also replaced the exhaust manifold on that side. If you add up the work order, it's pretty expensive.

I should note that this noise was not the DI tick. my valves were definitely messed up. sometimes pulling a trailer up a hill i thought the valves were going to come through the hood. haha

Hi Paticus,

Hi Paticus,

See mine is nowhere near like that. It's very faint chattering, definitely noticeable and annoying but in no way ever caused me to worry that something was that wrong

Thanks man. I did notice yesterday that the tick goes away if my a/c is off! Takes about 30 seconds with it off and gone. It makes this sound in the video I'm posting. I figured there was no way for me it could be lifters because it is not a constant tick, also doesn't do it at idle. You have to turn your volume all the way up to hear the ticking https://vimeo.com/183200747

You must have a different issue than my truck. My noise was not dependant on the AC on/off.

You must have a different issue than my truck. My noise was not dependant on the AC on/off.

Until Friday it was always there, but I have a/c on most of the time so the other day it was off and I didn't notice it and then I figured out this was it.

Was your ticking very loud or subtle? At idle?

Until Friday it was always there, but I have a/c on most of the time so the other day it was off and I didn't notice it and then I figured out this was it.

Was your ticking very loud or subtle? At idle?

My engine was normal at idle and light load. but under load in V8 and V4 mode it started making a loud tick.