Engine Tick - 2015 GMC Sierra 5.3

I have this too, it sounds like a valve tick from my old LS1 days -- It's pretty loud. i can mainly hear it at idle -- when I stop to get the mail and i get out of the truck every day, it's louder than my Borla XR1 muffler w/ deleted resonator......yet it doesn't throw any codes, and the dealership told me its the injectors, and it's "normal" in these engines.....i've had people walk up asking what's wrong with the truck...so that's fun.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I am currently going through the same problem since 9k miles now at 18k. Ticking noise while under load at low rpms. Had it in the shop 3 times so far goes back this Monday for round 4. 1st time they said couldn't replicate, 2nd time blamed K&N cai 3rd time I removed cai and they finally heard the noise and said it's not normal. Tech intially thought exhaust leak but none found.They called GM engineer who suggested vacuum pump replacement. Still ticking. I feel like it's the coming from catalytic converter, maybe internal crack? Let's see what they do next.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I've had a 14, 15, and now a 16 and they've all ticked under light load, most noticeable on the highway. Sounds like it's coming from the driver side manifold. I've unfortunately accepted it as "normal".

I've had a 14, 15, and now a 16 and they've all ticked under light load, most noticeable on the highway. Sounds like it's coming from the driver side manifold. I've unfortunately accepted it as "normal".

same here. Ive had it looked at a bunch of times. The dealer hears it but has no explanation

same here. Ive had it looked at a bunch of times. The dealer hears it but has no explanation

Yep, I've just accepted it too. Put an intake and exhaust on and it's not as noticeable due to other noises lol

• 2 months later...

My 2016 Silverado began ticking under acceleration last November (truck bought new in July 2016). At first it only appeared after the vehicle had been driven for a while (20+ kms) and it wasn't very noticable unless you knew what to look for (I'm observant to an unhealthy level, just ask my wife!). Sounded like it was coming from driver side area around the parking brake lever. Put studded tires on for the ice in the winter and I guess that droned out the noise for the most part until I put my summer tires back on in April. The ticking has gotten MUCH worse, and seems to be getting worse with every passing day. Now it starts almost immediately after starting the truck, and sometimes it begins even faster if I happen to hit a good bump in the road. Once it starts it does not stop until the truck has been parked for a while and cools down. Today I noticed that I can replicate the sound (albeit much lower volume) when the truck is in neutral and the engine is revved (this is something new). Not nearly as loud as when in drive, but still there.

I'm glad to see it isn't only me having this trouble. I have an appointment set up for July 19th to get it checked out. I intend to show them the post that Rick62783 posted above me. Thanks for all of the information, and I will keep everyone updated as to the result of the visit.

Ticking issue finally resolved. Cracked manifold on drivers side replaced, new fuel feed pipe, and new steering shaft boot. Truck sounds great. attachicon.gif20170705_215915.jpg

How many more cases are like this? I feel you're onto something that the rest of our dealers don't want to deal with

I've been a longtime lurker on this thread and just now posting as I have had this similar issue since about 4k miles in my '16 GMC Sierra SLT 5.3L that I bought in June '16. Had the dealer look into a "possible exhaust leak on the driver's side" when I brought it in for the first oil change at around 6k miles and they claimed it as a normal fuel pump noise. My truck is at ~22k miles now and the issue has not gotten any better or worse since I first noticed it. Following this thread to hopefully find a permanent solution!

From the
TechLink pages:
... may produce some unfamiliar sounds during cold starts as well as during warm operation...

Don't you just love these kinds of disclaimer!? Basically, it can happen all the time, anytime. I hear it on mine randomly. It's just quite annoying.

Ticking issue finally resolved. Cracked manifold on drivers side replaced, new fuel feed pipe, and new steering shaft boot. Truck sounds great. attachicon.gif20170705_215915.jpg

The last time I took my truck in for service and they did a test on it. The service manager noticed the noise too but they said it was normal - fuel injector noise. So they dismissed it. I am guessing each dealership works differently.

How many more cases are like this? I feel you're onto something that the rest of our dealers don't want to deal with

agreed.

I don't notice the noise in mine during a normal idle, and typically not when I rev it up in park. The noise comes from the driver's side floorboard and sounds very similar to an exhaust leak mostly in lower RPM's while moving, both in V4 and V8 as well with A/C on and off. The noise is not present 100% of the time, but it is present both in town and on the highway as well towing/not towing. I have another oil change due in ~2k miles, and I would typically perform these myself as I already used the two freebies from the dealer, but I would be open to dropping my truck off at the dealer if a resolution is found and letting them perform my next oil change while they're under the hood