Replaced 20 inch wheels with 18's for better ride

I have been a long time reader of this site and the forums have been a great source of info over the years. This is my first post. I took delivery of a 2016 GMC Sierra SLT CC standard bed with 6.2L and 8 speed in March. I am 52 years old and have driven pick up trucks as my primary transportation my whole life. All of which have been either Chevy's or GMC's 1/2 tons. GM trucks always enjoyed a reputation as being the best riding and handling light duty trucks of the big three. Until now. I find the ride of this truck to be very harsh for a 1/2 ton pick up.

I scoured this website looking for complaints and remedies for the stiff ride with very mixed results. I have no illusions about wanting more ground clearance or off road capabilities. My truck sees nothing but blacktop 99% of the time and the occasional gravel road. I dont have a Z71 package or the NHT package. I find the suspension very stiff in comparison to my previous trucks the last of which was a 2010 GMC SLT crew cab. It rode like a dream.

I read the extremely long thread on the bilstein shocks but was not convinced that shock damping was what I was objecting to. I was feeling every little road imperfection being transfered through the truck. It appeared that while the Bilsteins improved handling and control they werent going to remedy this issue. I finally decided to switch out the 20 inch rims with a set of 18 inch rims that I had. This took me from a sidewall profile of 55 to a sidewall of 65. This has made a substantial improvement in ride. I was also adament about using P series tire and not LT series "E" tires. I am currently running P275/65R18 Cooper AT/W tires (32psi) and could not be happier. If anyone says this doesnt make a difference in ride quality they simply arent being truthful. While the 20 inch rims and low profile tires are good looking - I dont think a low profile tire is appropriate on a truck. This was not written to insense anyone and I know ride quality is subjective. I simply wanted to share my experience in hopes that it helps someone.

I had a 2014 Silverado Crew cab with 20" rims. I thought the ride was good, until I traded it in for my 2016 Crew Cab with 18" rims. Huge difference in ride, in my opinion. I love the ride now and is silky smooth to me for a 4x4 pickup truck.

...I know ride quality is subjective.

Yeah you're right. For me 20s are the better ride, I'm driving the GM fullsize SUV. I drive blacktop 100% of the time and the 20s are better with body roll in a vehicle that size and weight. Other than roll, I have not found a big difference in ride, although 20s hydroplane more in wet conditions.

I had a 2014 Silverado Crew cab with 20" rims. I thought the ride was good, until I traded it in for my 2016 Crew Cab with 18" rims. Huge difference in ride, in my opinion. I love the ride now and is silky smooth to me for a 4x4 pickup truck.

When I bought my 2015 (CC 6.5 bed, Z71, LT) it came with 18" wheels. I wanted chrome so I bought a set of 20" Yukon Denali wheels. I noticed a slightly harsher ride after the change. In the end I wanted the looks of the chrome wheels but the 18's with a taller sidewall definitely ride smoother (but in my case it wasn't a "Huge" difference).

When I bought my 2015 (CC 6.5 bed, Z71, LT) it came with 18" wheels. I wanted chrome so I bought a set of 20" Yukon Denali wheels. I noticed a slightly harsher ride after the change. In the end I wanted the looks of the chrome wheels but the 18's with a taller sidewall definitely ride smoother (but in my case it wasn't a "Huge" difference so I can live with it).

I have two sets of wheels and tires for my wife's Yukon Denali.

22" for the summer, and 20" for the winter.

I can't tell any difference at all.

IMO, your issues are more with E rated tires, and less with side wall height.

Run a set of cheap C rated tires, and you will have a nice mushy ride.

I went from 17's to 20's. Didn't notice much of a ride quality difference personally. I got the Bilstein shocks which made the ride much smoother. Then I got 33's on my 20's and it rides smoother than most vehicles I've been in..

Anyway, if you're happier with the 18's, then I'm glad you found a solution! Always good to hear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would agree with posters statement 100% I myself knew going above 18' was going to give me nothing but problems. I settled for 20" because of price and was like well if it rides like shit it's because of that.

It does have a somewhat harsh ride....yeah, the shocks would help some but knowing cars,trucks or what ever I claim to know the ride of all vehicles have been compromised with the newer odd ball tire sizes. There is no air gap folks! I would bet dollars to donuts if we drove our trucks then his we would all agree it floats compared to our 20,22"

I had an 07 Sierra with factory 20's on it and I think it rode smoother than my 14 with 18's. I have been looking to pick up a set of 20's just because of that experience. Maybe it's tires.

Everyone's posts are interesting and just proves that ride quality is a very subjective issue. I do know from reviewing this website that quite a few people have concerns about the ride of the new platform. I think the ride of the new trucks are firmer for a host of reasons. Stiffer spring rates, more rigid frames, low profile tires and questionable shocks all contribute to the "firmer" ride characteristics of the new trucks. I think the car manufacturers fall prey to winning test track results and lose sight of everyday driving conditions. The new trucks probably run circles around the old platform on a skid pad, but who cares! Some of the responses I received were from people who own Yukons and Tahoes saying they feel no difference in low profile 20's. This is probably true but they arent designed to carry 1500lbs in the bed or tow 9000lb trailer. My initial comment was only directed at 1/2 ton trucks. The tire change in itself isnt a "cure all" but it does make a difference. A low profile tire simply doesnt have enough of an air column to ride on to absorb those small road imperfections. This makes the spring rates and shock valving much more critical.

Everyone's posts are interesting and just proves that ride quality is a very subjective issue. I do know from reviewing this website that quite a few people have concerns about the ride of the new platform. I think the ride of the new trucks are firmer for a host of reasons. Stiffer spring rates, more rigid frames, low profile tires and questionable shocks all contribute to the "firmer" ride characteristics of the new trucks. I think the car manufacturers fall prey to winning test track results and lose sight of everyday driving conditions. The new trucks probably run circles around the old platform on a skid pad, but who cares! Some of the responses I received were from people who own Yukons and Tahoes saying they feel no difference in low profile 20's. This is probably true but they arent designed to carry 1500lbs in the bed or tow 9000lb trailer. My initial comment was only directed at 1/2 ton trucks. The tire change in itself isnt a "cure all" but it does make a difference. A low profile tire simply doesnt have enough of an air column to ride on to absorb those small road imperfections. This makes the spring rates and shock valving much more critical.

I agree 100%.

I went to an oversized E load tire for my twentys. Ten times the ride of those POS factory Wrangler SRA's that are so bad 10% of them cant be balanced. GM must have bought 2 million of these tires for $1.50 a piece.

You bet they did! I mean do the math....70,000 units a month give or take and pay 150.00 less for set of 4qty tires that are legally compliant and that's what we get Goodyears.................I mean they suck people and dangerous!

I went to an oversized E load tire for my twentys. Ten times the ride of those POS factory Wrangler SRA's that are so bad 10% of them cant be balanced. GM must have bought 2 million of these tires for $1.50 a piece.

Too funny. I totally agree about the Goodyear SRA's. I had two of the four from the factory that wouldnt pass the RF balance procedure and had to be replaced. One of which had over 9 ounces of weight on it and wouldnt balance. Goodyear should be ashamed of their poor quality control. GM isnt doing itself any favors by continuing to use these tires for new OEM applications. A good tire wont fix a bad vehicle but a bad tire sure can ruin a new vehicle experience. Whatever savings GM gained cant be worth the bad will created by these subpar tires.

You bet they did! I mean do the math....70,000 units a month give or take and pay 150.00 less for set of 4qty tires that are legally compliant and that's what we get Goodyears.................I mean they suck people and dangerous!

Come on, dangerous? :rollin: These are in no way dangerous; bald tires are dangerous, 1960's bias ply tires can be dangerous, mid level stock tires designed more for quiet, mpg and all around mostly street driving are not dangerous. Grown adults crying and whining about stock tires, this is funny. They aren't going to put bad ass looking tires on it just because you want to look cool with a set of KO2's to run around suburbia. They do not need to put tires like that on stock when most buyers don't care how they look or don't go off road and the stockers accomplish what most people want/need. Looking at some of your posts you must have been wronged a while ago by a goodyear tire and now will take any opportunity to slander them with fictitious posts.

Are these tires awesome, heck no, they are about average. Fairly quiet, descent traction in many conditions and good mpg. In the rain they can slip but it is a truck with a light rear end, what else do you expect? Would I buy them again? No, am I going to throw a hissy fit on the internet about them? Nope, they will last until the warranty is up and I will replace them with something a little more fitting with what I want to do. If you don't like them, replace them, simple. But if you think they are dangerous, you really need to consider your driving abilities; if they were there would be a ton of law suits by families with missing parents/kids...

Dangerous, haha, thanks for that!

Back to the original question, 18's ride better and smoother, period. Tires them selves (including tread depth) make a huge difference. A used tire a few 32nds of tread depth on a 18 will probably ride rougher than a new 20 inch tire with 16/32's as they are new. But same tire one on a 18 and the other on a 20 the 18 will ride better, accelerate better, stop better and return better mpg; it will handle a little worse though. It will also be less susceptible to puncture off road, better able to get traction off road when aired down and protect the rim better. Also they will be cheaper. Comparing an E rated tire to a P isn't the same and the E will ride worse. It all depends on the tire type/brand.

Tyler

AMXGUY1970...........said,"Also they will be cheaper. Comparing an E rated tire to a P isn't the same and the E will ride worse. It all depends on the tire type/brand."

Really, it all depends on tire type/brand........WOW checks out the big brain on AMXGUY1970!!! Please everybody read his IN-DEPTH dissertation on reading all of our posts and giving his gospel feedback. We should all take a moment to chime in and than him.

Now back to original fourm posters comments: Yes, I believe larger the rim/smaller tire profile=shitty ride!

Now back to Mookdoc6's post: Goodyears "Tires" they suck and are flat out DANGEROUS WHEN WET!

Compared to the tires in 60's 70's yeah Present day Goodyears's are better no doubt. Tires back then sucked big arse! Such a revelation to enlighten us all on that too! Thanks for the lighter in back because it's truck too never would have guessed....................

poster after poster claiming Goodyear Tires suck......I have screamed it for decades! Looks like others feel the same way too. Nobody cared to listen to Firestone customers a few years ago...or Cooper tires in the Southwest......But you seem to know all bud thanks for steering us in correct direction. No pun intended

Archived