Post your Pics of your Chevy/GMC towing!

Nice setup,looks good. I got the truck just need to talk the wife into getting the camper..lol

Go for it. We bought bigger (and more expensive) then we planned on 2 years ago and loved it so much that we became full time RV'ers. BTW, this is our first camper...

Full timers but still active duty AF, anxiously awaiting retirement travels where I have been told everyday is a Saturday

Edited by Grawe
  • Like 1

Wow that thing is gigantic. What's the weight on that sucker?

Thansk! GVWR is 16k and the Duramax pulls it like a champ. The only limitation is RV tires speed ratings are typically <70mph. I have caught myself in the left lane doing 80+ with rig in tow.

Started with a 2001 dually, just graduated last month to a 2008. Once the RV is paid off I hope to move up to a current year model.

Too much fun!

Full timers but still active duty AF, anxiously awaiting retirement travels where I have been told everyday is a Saturday

• Like 1

Thansk! GVWR is 16k and the Duramax pulls it like a champ. The only limitation is RV tires speed ratings are typically <70mph. I have caught myself in the left lane doing 80+ with rig in tow.

Started with a 2001 dually, just graduated last month to a 2008. Once the RV is paid off I hope to move up to a current year model.

Too much fun!

Nice!

Go for it. We bought bigger (and more expensive) then we planned on 2 years ago and loved it so much that we became full time RV'ers. BTW, this is our first camper...

Out of curiosity what made you decide on a 5th wheel instead of a class A for full timing it? We hope to full time in a few years. Edited by Tom Boswell

91022aaca6461d69424f744f78628097.jpg

About 7000# machine on a 2000# trailer. The backhoe broke down and they brought me a track loader to finish that was heavier but, pulled better because of the lower center of gravity. 5.3 w/3.42 after market brake controller. It was a short drive, about 10 miles of back roads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Out of curiosity what made you decide on a 5th wheel instead of a class A for full timing it? We hope to full time in a few years.

Tom,

That is one of those classic debates, like Chevy or Ford; everyone has a different opinion for their own reasons. Since you asked though, here are some of our reasons:

5'er Floorplans have more interior space and better layouts because they have two "ends". One end for the bedroom and the other for a home-like living room. Most class As have the hallway feel living room to accomdate the pass through to the cockpit.

I am still active duty for a couple more years so even though we are full time we are not traveling as much as we will after retirement. So I didn't want a drive train sitting dormant for extended periods.

Maintenance is tough when your house needs a simple oil change or alignment...

Price can be a wash by the time you add a TV (tow vehicle) they are very similar, but we have always enjoyed having a truck.

Truth be told, after retirement we may look at a Winnebago or Georgetown Class A since we will be traveling a lot more. Oddly the only thing I miss from the big old house is my garage. With a class A, I would buy a 24' enclosed trailer for the tow behind car and design it to be my garage-away-from-home when the car is out.

My wife is the camp host where we stay and we hear a lot of full timers who went 5'er to A's and A's to 5'ers. Some have even switched back and forth several times.

So as I said, for us the 5'er is a better personal choice for now and maybe forever, TBD.

If you are interested, there are tons of good RV forums that you may want to join before you buy. Like here, lots of good people with great advice. No matter what you buy, the FT lifestyle is a blast! Let me know if you have more questions. Mike

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I bought some airbags to fix the sag. I am on a level front but didn't do the back. So it looks worse than it really is

Just watch your tongue weight and gear and passengers/gear in the truck. I had a 1500 first, but with a larger family I was just a little too close for comfort. These 1500s tow well but can run out of payload fast.

• Like 2

Just watch your tongue weight and gear and passengers/gear in the truck. I had a 1500 first, but with a larger family I was just a little too close for comfort. These 1500s tow well but can run out of payload fast.

Exactly my issue. Trying to stay around 850lbs of tongue weight keeps me right at +/- 50lbs of gvwr

• Like 2