Post your Pics of your Chevy/GMC towing!

Fully loaded 6x12 trailer.

I've had a few of those behind my trucks! Hate the surge brakes but, can't find a cheaper more readily available trailer when you need one. That one you've got there looks pretty old...

Tom,

That is one of those classic debates, like Chevy or Ford; everyone has a different opinion for their own reasons. Since you asked though, here are some of our reasons:

5'er Floorplans have more interior space and better layouts because they have two "ends". One end for the bedroom and the other for a home-like living room. Most class As have the hallway feel living room to accomdate the pass through to the cockpit.

I am still active duty for a couple more years so even though we are full time we are not traveling as much as we will after retirement. So I didn't want a drive train sitting dormant for extended periods.

Maintenance is tough when your house needs a simple oil change or alignment...

Price can be a wash by the time you add a TV (tow vehicle) they are very similar, but we have always enjoyed having a truck.

Truth be told, after retirement we may look at a Winnebago or Georgetown Class A since we will be traveling a lot more. Oddly the only thing I miss from the big old house is my garage. With a class A, I would buy a 24' enclosed trailer for the tow behind car and design it to be my garage-away-from-home when the car is out.

My wife is the camp host where we stay and we hear a lot of full timers who went 5'er to A's and A's to 5'ers. Some have even switched back and forth several times.

So as I said, for us the 5'er is a better personal choice for now and maybe forever, TBD.

If you are interested, there are tons of good RV forums that you may want to join before you buy. Like here, lots of good people with great advice. No matter what you buy, the FT lifestyle is a blast! Let me know if you have more questions. Mike

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

Thanks, I appreciate the info. Still in the can't make up our mind stage.

I'm just going to throw this out there...most trailer tires are rated for 65mph max. Just an FYI, as it's not something that is well known or publicized.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

And I simply cannot figure out WHY THEY DO THAT! Most interstate highways have speed limits that exceed 65MPH, so why do trailer tire manufacturers do that, especially on travel trailers.

• Like 2

And I simply cannot figure out WHY THEY DO THAT! Most interstate highways have speed limits that exceed 65MPH, so why do trailer tire manufacturers do that, especially on travel trailers.

Speed limit doesn't indicate safe operating speed of a trailer in tow. Only what that maximum speed limit is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Speed limit doesn't indicate safe operating speed of a trailer in tow. Only what that maximum speed limit is.

Exactly but why not build a tire with todays normal speeds in mind? I would personally rather have a tire capable of 90ish and only run 75 vs a tire that is limited to 65 when driving 65 can impede traffic on almost every highway in the country.

They exist, but you need to ask...I have a set of STR Hercules on my one trailer that are rated up to 75mph. Your other option is 16 inch light truck tires.

Dragging a loaded trailer at that speed (at least mine) would be well out of my comfort zone...unloaded, maybe. A burst to pass once in a while OK, not for extended periods.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Exactly but why not build a tire with todays normal speeds in mind? I would personally rather have a tire capable of 90ish and only run 75 vs a tire that is limited to 65 when driving 65 can impede traffic on almost every highway in the country.

I agree, I don't believe my jayco is stable at 132 feet per second.

Oh i agree. About 75 is my comfort zone with most trailers but just putting it out there. I would want a tire that is capable beyond my comfort level vs the other way around.

I had to look up the feet per second! It's 90 mph.

Edited by smrr1
  • Like 1