2016 Silverado 2500HD Steering woes

Dealer had if for a day and made the repair. Nut on top of steering box had backed off - they tightened, retorqued (with red permatex) and called it good. Steering back to tite as new, but we'll see. Geez.

They've been bolting on pittman arms to steering boxes for how long? How can they screw that up?

Those of you that have had the issue, can you check the 11th charcter (from the left) of your VIN? And verify it on the VIN breakdown?

https://service.gm.com/dealerworld/vincards/pdf/Vincard16%20LDT%2008-23-16%20r1.12.pdf

F = Flint

Z = Ft. Wayne

I'm wondering if this is a plant or design issue. I've read in the past of small recalls where an issue arose when the assembly plant had an issue w/ the tooling & insufficient torque was applied to the fastener joint.

Edited by revrnd

Took my 16 mid night edition to the dealer 2 weeks ago it's still there with about 2 inches of slop in the wheel. Dealer stated the steering box needed replacement after performing the tsb with no results. Also stated truck was not safe to drive. After a week and a half I contacted GM who has been great and seemed to get the dealer moving. Dealer called yesterday and says well the part is in well try to get in today but may not be till Monday it's taking awhile because GM had "to design and then fabricate a new part" Wtf?. Needless to say I told them I'll be there Friday fixed or not to take the truck. Anyone else been told they're not safe to drive? I'm assuming the dealer is just wasting time since there are thousands of these trucks on the road and no recall.

Dropped my 2016 Denali 3500HD dually with 11K on it off yesterday for the same thing. 3 inches of slop in the steering and oil drops on the bell housing... I hope this not going to take long. I need it back in two weeks for a trip with a 32 trailer trailer RV... The loaner Canyon baby truck is not enjoyable and will not work for me for this trip... I need to tow a 10K trailer.

I too think it is crappy that I am having this much trouble with a 5 month old truck at 11K. The worst part is I intentionally bought now instead of waiting on the 17's because I did not want to deal with first year issues.

More bad news... I heard from the dealer today. The steering gear box is on national back order until November 21st... Which is the day we are supposed to leave with our camper for a 6 day PLANNED trip.
Unbelievable !!!!

got my truck back yesterday after 8 days... According to the service manager and the paper work they performed the steps in #PIT5501C but it was still out of tolerances. So they had to get in a replacement gear box in and install it. I can say after 100 miles on it - all is better. Like new. Still do not know what caused it or if it will happen again.

For the oil leak they found the upper oil panel bolts a little loose and resealed and torqued them down. We will see on that one. They did add some die and will look for it during the next oil change but they did not find any leaks after the repair.

They've lost the second, and had to take the loaner back from us because they sold it.

Wow - sorry to hear that. Hopefully the dealer is treating you right. When I booked my appointment I asked about a loaner and they said if they did not have one they could set me up with something from enterprise.

So far I have had mine back a week and no issues with it.

Edited by Webhair

Hey guys. New here, just joined after reading of these problems.

I started searching when I had a problem with my 2016 Chevy 2500HD High Country Duramax. I bought it in April, and now have a bit over 13,000 miles on it. About 2 weeks ago, I realized, rather suddenly, that there was a lot of slop in the steering. I had been towing a 10-12k bumper pull trailer for most of the previous 6000 miles, but had no problem with steering. It seems that the problem occurred very rapidly.

I immediately went to the local dealer(Autonation Chevrolet Airport in Orlando) and asked them to look at it. I purchased it from their sister dealership in Coral Gables, FL(Miami area). They had somebody come look at it right away, and he determined it needs a new steering box. They ordered it the following day, Nov 8th. When I asked if it was safe to drive the truck, I was told "yea, as long as you don't tow anything".... WTF?! What in the world is this truck for? I drove home and went to work 2 days later, and the truck now sits awaiting my return from work.

Today I called the dealer to see if the part had arrived. I was told it was on back order, and they had no idea when it would arrive. I'm hoping it arrives soon, as I rely on this truck for towing a couple trailers.

I'm hoping this is not an indication of things to come, and that Chevy solves the problem quickly. I struggled with the decision to buy another Ford or a Chevy this time, and the Chevy won out based on the interior of the truck. I think all the manufacturers have reliable engine/transmission combos these days, so it came down to creature comforts.

Any suggestions to help expedite this fix?

Thanks!

Mike

Edited by Aviatrr

I had the same thing done about 10,000 mile ago. Truck was 5 months and 6500 miles old. Driving down a spiral parking ramp felt something like traction control sort of pop. Noticed a couple inches of slop in the steering when I got on the highway.

Dealer had to pull the new part off another truck on the lot so I could take the truck on a planned 3000 mile road trip pulling trailer the following weekend (part was going to take over a week to arrive - dealer has taken extremely good care of me).

They took care of the slop and replaced the part to get me on my way. No issues since then.

Anyone else have this replaced and have the problem come back? I'm at 10000 miles since they fixed it and nervous it'll happen again after the truck is out of warranty.

I haven't had any issues but my power steering does whine when sitting at a stoplight. Hope it doesn't turn into this issue. 3600 miles now going to have them check it when I bring it in for its first oil chsnge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I'm just going to start with,

we all seem to be having the same issue but nothing seems to fix it.

Let me give you a little back ground.

I have a 2016 2500HD Denali that I purchased new with 12 miles on it. I'm not a fan of the rake in the rear so I wanted to get it leveled. That said I had the dealer write up tires and leveling kit in the deal. They said it would take about a week to get the tires and leveling kit. I was fine with that so I took the truck and waited for the call. During the first 2 days, I had it back to the dealership twice for alignment and wheel balance. Not knowing that the shakes have been a problem in the past, and this is my first GM truck. About 11 days went by and I got a call to bring it in for the install. Install was done, everything looked great but from that point forward I noticed that my steering would get extremely loose feeling between the speeds of +45 to 75 Mph. If I go below 45 Mph the steering gets tight and if I go above 75 Mph the steering is tight. I brought it back to the dealer and they said everything was in spec and it seems normal. So I left and noticed it was still doing it. Took it back to the dealer the next day. I was a little upset about it and told them I need it fixed and to talk to a manager. The manager came out and said " I have spoken to the owner and we have decided that we don't want your business and will not work on you truck". My level of pissed went up a few notches. I called GM Corp and explained that I have an issue and the dealer refused to help. I never received a call back from them after they said we will speak to the dealer.

I was able to find a dealer that was 2 minutes from work. So I told them of the issue and they said no problem we will fit it. Great no problem I thought, well I was wrong. I have had the truck in 7 times for this steering issue and when I get it back they say its fixed every time. So this last time I saw that GM had a TSB out on the steering box. I printed it out and gave them the TSB, since somehow they had no idea that the TSB even existed. I Got a call to pick up the truck 2 days later saying it was fixed and they followed the TSB. Great so its DONE again. Well I drive about a mile down the road and its still doing it. At this point I was so pissed off that I called GM Corp. and said this is unacceptable I want this fixed NOW. So GM called the dealer and asked what was going on, and to my surprise the GM Rep called the dealer that sold me the truck and installed the leveling kit and tires. So to surprise me again the dealer and GM said its not a warranty issue since I voided my warranty when I had the leveling kit and tires installed. No one at the dealer said the warranty would be voided it I had the leveling kit installed. I mean come on, why would I have it written up in my contract for these parts and install on a 60K+ truck if I knew I was trashing my warranty.

So I have no idea what I'm going to do at this point.

Edited by lmdnmmw

If that's the case I wonder if the problem is restricted to trucks built @ 1 of the 2 HD assembly plants (improperly torqued nuts) or both plants (Improper torque spec)?

Can those of you that have had the steering issue arise post the ass'y plant code from the VIN? It's the 7th character from the right,

F = Flint

Z = Ft. Wayne