Survey - Self Driving Vehicles

Self Driving Vehicle Poll  

58 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think self driving cars have a place in the not-to-distant future. Just this past weekend I spent 3 hours on the road, 2.5 of which was straight on I-80. Self driving seemed like an okay idea then!

For the accident concerns, I'd trust a computer over a teenage girl on her cell phone. Or the lady applying her makeup. Or the truck driving eating a sandwich.

I could see "self-driving" being more like a cruise control. Turn it on for the long stretch of your journey. Maybe not around the city, or once you need some more finesse driving.

I think the solution really needs to be better public/mass transit. I wouldn't mind sparing my vehicles of the hours in gridlock traffic, but I enjoy driving, modding, and working on my own vehicles. I do understand that the majority of the public hates driving or is too distracted by watching videos/texting on their phone, but me personally - I am not willing to give up the driving experience. If we did, then cars are just another household "appliance".

• Like 1

Nope I'll continue to drive as long as the stupid govt allows me to do so. I don't need a computer to avoid accidents for me I have 2 eyes and a brain. The whole "the computer can avoid accidents a human could never react to" is BS. Stop riding everyone's butt, use your mirrors, get off your phones, and just drive. I avoid accidents all the time and see things that whoever I'm a passenger for says "just came out of no where." I've counted 5-10 seconds on some things that "just came out of no where" from when I first saw them. I understand people hate driving and suck at it, but I still want the choice to drive myself. All these driving "aides" are one of the reasons I haven't bought a new truck. Every time I get a loaner for mine they give me some fancy new thing that has all those annoying "aides" that take time to disable and then the vehicle tells you they're off every time it's started. Yes thank you I disabled them for a reason I don't need to be annoyed with the your garbage is disabled messages every time. Also what happens when all this technology fails, people are getting worse at driving because they are relying on aides to do the work for them, as well as just not caring.

Edited by Chevyguy85

I think one of the reasons this "fad" is growing is that some of the proponents are so dependent on their mothers driving them everywhere.

Grow a pair and learn to drive CORRECTLY!

A lot of young people have no interest in learning how to drive. More interested in the latest app for their cellphone.

• Like 2

I think the solution really needs to be better public/mass transit. I wouldn't mind sparing my vehicles of the hours in gridlock traffic, but I enjoy driving, modding, and working on my own vehicles. I do understand that the majority of the public hates driving or is too distracted by watching videos/texting on their phone, but me personally - I am not willing to give up the driving experience. If we did, then cars are just another household "appliance".

Isn't that the way a lot of people look their cars? Take the badging off most cars & they all look the same. They check out Consumer Reports & buy the most reliable even if it looks like a POS.

• Like 1

Isn't that the way a lot of people look their cars? Take the badging off most cars & they all look the same. They check out Consumer Reports & buy the most reliable even if it looks like a POS.

It's unfortunate. I'm a youngin' but I always wonder where the love for cars as a part of American culture went, and why. You'd be hard pressed to find a decent sampling of the general public that can change a tire, or check their oil. I'm sure that is in part why quality has come down, they are treated like cell phones or computers, used and abused for their purpose, traded out in under 3 years for the new model. Nothing really needs to last long now days.

• Like 3

My nephew who is 20, couldn't wait to get his licence.

As it should be! I try to get as many people into cars as I can, even if it is just getting them to be a bit more aware of maintenance and diagnosis. My nieces and nephew are in for a rough time, they are just babies now, but I refuse to let them grow up without learning some hands on DIY skills. Besides, I could use the extra hands in the garage.

18237773_1389409164452709_88889398997227

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

if self driving cars mean I can get to work faster because there won't be merging issues because of shitty drivers I'm all for it.

I'll still be able to tow and race my car at the track :)

• 2 months later...

Self driving cars aren`t a new idea, at least GM itself already worked more than 50 years on this topic up to now.  In 1956 GM had shown a small video at the "Motorama".

Maybe you like the "ancient - futuristic" style? https://youtu.be/F2iRDYnzwtk

So, if I see what happend the last more than 50 years, I`m convinced that I will be allowed to keep my old fashioned cars  the rest of my life.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/1/2016 at 7:06 AM, j-ten-ner said:

I think that the car makers are going to far ahead of them self.

They still haven't mastered the existing technologies.

Faulty airbags (recently Honda), rusting frames, clunky transmissions, flaking paint, oil burning engines, just to name a few.

But at the end we're the ones to blame. We as the car buyers are asking for this crap.

so long

j-ten-ner

I never asked for any of it.  :lol:  Most of it was mandated by NHTSA, the EPA, and CARB.  

Edited by MaverickZ71
  • Like 1

Let's see:  my new desktop PC is being repaired by IT.  My personal laptop and cellphone have had a few troubles as well, and it wasn't just me, as the repair people said "oh yes, we've seen that before."  

So a self-guided computer-controlled vehicle of any type does NOT give me a good feeling!  What happens when it has a brain fart and reboots in a busy intersection, freeway, or when approaching a curve with a cliff below??  

And before anyone answers that the engineers have planned for all of the contingencies, oh yeah, that's what they thought at Chernobyl, Fukushima, on the Titanic, and on the Apollo 13 mission as well, just to name a few!   

Edited by MaverickZ71
  • Like 1

Self driving sounds good...... I would not mind having my car or truck just do it's thing and me sit back and relax.  But this will all snowball and not one person seems to see that.  

So you make most passenger cars autonomous.. cool..... now you make the highway tractors autonomous and no longer need a driver.  Lovely..... So what are the people your technology has now displaced supposed to do for a living exactly?   Would be one thing if it wasn't like literally millions of people that suddenly would not be needed.  Sure they will say they will need someone to man the system in case of failure and thus a driver present..... except General Motors is petitioning to release autonomous cars without manual controls of any kind.  Don't need someone sitting there then.  

Technology is awesome until you start to realize the more things you automate and displace the human element.... well unless you are magically creating hundreds of thousands of new jobs those people will be on social welfare or on the street.  We talk about it at work all the time.  The fast food industry, transportation, retail.... hard for people to buy products anymore though when they don't have a job to make any income.

Self driving sounds good...... I would not mind having my car or truck just do it's thing and me sit back and relax.  But this will all snowball and not one person seems to see that.  

So you make most passenger cars autonomous.. cool..... now you make the highway tractors autonomous and no longer need a driver.  Lovely..... So what are the people your technology has now displaced supposed to do for a living exactly?   Would be one thing if it wasn't like literally millions of people that suddenly would not be needed.  Sure they will say they will need someone to man the system in case of failure and thus a driver present..... except General Motors is petitioning to release autonomous cars without manual controls of any kind.  Don't need someone sitting there then.  

Technology is awesome until you start to realize the more things you automate and displace the human element.... well unless you are magically creating hundreds of thousands of new jobs those people will be on social welfare or on the street.  We talk about it at work all the time.  The fast food industry, transportation, retail.... hard for people to buy products anymore though when they don't have a job to make any income.

Who said we need people much longer?

Sent from device. Excuse errors.
  • Like 2