Will GM's V8 1500 Trucks Match the Torque of Ford's New V6 Eco

Gorehamj

post-139450-0-51366400-1468268788_thumb.jpg

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
7-11-2016

Ford announced in a press release this week that its V6 EcoBoost engine for 2017 in the F-150 will generate 470 ft-lb of torque. Jumping 50 lb-ft for the new model year, that number could make the Ford F-150 the truck with the most torque in the 1500 segment. GM's 6.2-liter V8 presently produces 460 lb-ft. That 10-ft-lb torque spread is no accident. The 2016 Ram EcoDiesel 3.0-liter V6 generates 420 ft-lb of torque and its 5.7-liter "HEMI" V8 makes 410 ft-lb.

post-139450-0-02326600-1468269148_thumb.jpg

GM could modify its 2017 models to add torque, but without boost that is not as easy as it sounds. The topic may be mostly specmanship more than reality. HD trucks pack much more torque than these numbers.

Ford says its new drivetrain will have the first "volume-produced" 10-speed automatic transmission available to consumers. Ford also goes on to say "The new engine provides better low-end and peak engine performance, ideal for hauling heavy payloads and towing heavy trailers."

What say you GM-Trucks readers? Does Ford's leap ahead in max torque point to a boosted gasoline engine being the best for towing going forward?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

little engine being big.

if you have not lived it by now.

it sucks.

a natural v8 with less rpms within 10 ft lbs..

do I have to declare a winner?

silliness.

given the limits set for themselves, half ton will be at 450ft lbs for decades more.

no need for going further, until frame and weight gains catch up again.

one can keep speed limits and hills with less than 400, in the old trucks anyway...they are 600-1000 lighter.

the only reason they add more is because of the weight gains, curb weight.

Judging by the add, I take it they shaved weight off of the internals and changed the turbos to run a higher boost. Sounds real reliable...

My thoughts exactly. I wouldn't volunteer to be guinea pig for stop start or new turbos on their own, let alone together.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

"weight saving valvetrain" LOL. Imagine the chain stretch special warranties they will have within 5 years. The port/DI combo is nice as it goes to show the industry is recognizing the carbon buildup issues with GDI engines.

I doubt it but sure wish the 6.2 was in lower trims. Trucks are not hot rods but HP sells. I will buy Ram next year because that anemic 5.3 is not cutting it. Every other full size truck manufacture you can get a stronger V8 without having to buy a top of line model. Except GM.

I doubt it but sure wish the 6.2 was in lower trims. Trucks are not hot rods but HP sells. I will buy Ram next year because that anemic 5.3 is not cutting it. Every other full size truck manufacture you can get a stronger V8 without having to buy a top of line model. Except GM.

This is my biggest issue with GM right now. I don't want another SLT/LTZ truck, but I wanted a 6.2L, so I'm SOL. Just let us build the truck that we want to buy; big engine, tow package, minimal luxury options.

Meanwhile, Ford offers the Ecoboost 3.5L and Ram offers the Hemi in nearly every available trim.

I'm interested in taking the new Ecoboost for a test drive. The current 3.5L can sure haul ass. It makes my 6.2L feel sluggish.

It's all a numbers game! Horsepower in the operating range! Without knowing what RPM the Ford is rated at, there is no way to compare. The current GM 6.2 at 420HP @5700 and 460TQ @4200 (I hope my RPM is correct) computes to 368 to 420HP in the operating range. The Ford is 375HP and HP at torque peak is normally about 50 less, who runs best will depend a lot on the drive train matchup. Where the Ford will really shine is at altitude.

Mike

I'd be happy if they'd just bring back 8ft bed with an extended cab (now a days I guess it would be a double cab) in the half tons. If I want to tow heavy or haul heavy I'll get a 2500/3500. Not that more torque is a bad thing of course :-D The numbers game is all BS anyway. Also I'm still trying to get used to having 6 gears, don't know how nuts I'd be with 10. Sometimes GM being slow to change is a good thing.

I'm all in for torque.
But not to compete with others. I'm past the preadolescent age.

I'd rather see the 4.5 Duramax with 500+ lb/ft, than a supercharged 6.2.
Let the engine do the work. I just want to lean back. And no screaming under the hood.
The price for both would be in the same neighborhood anyway.

so long

j-ten-ner

Ford can't even fix the one's they've got! Now they're re-engineering this overpowered little thing?

My neighbor just came out of a 2 year long battle with FoMoCo, because not one person employed by them could correct the truck dying in the passing lane at intermittent times (always when oncoming traffic was closing in quickly ...). Band aid after band aid did nothing. So what I get out of this is, these stupid things are so complicated, not even the people WHO DESIGNED AND CREATED THEM can fix them!!!

Yeah ... sign me up for a '17. :fingersx: Right. :crackup:

"weight saving valvetrain" LOL. Imagine the chain stretch special warranties they will have within 5 years. The port/DI combo is nice as it goes to show the industry is recognizing the carbon buildup issues with GDI engines.

My guess would be that the limit was reached for the individual DI injector. This happens on the LT1 when you boost it, they have to run port injection or meth for the fuel required over what the DI can deliver

attachicon.gifFord 3.5-liter-EcoBoost-engine-close-up.jpg

John Goreham

Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com

7-11-2016

Ford announced in a press release this week that its V6 EcoBoost engine for 2017 in the F-150 will generate 470 ft-lb of torque. Jumping 50 lb-ft for the new model year, that number could make the Ford F-150 the truck with the most torque in the 1500 segment. GM's 6.2-liter V8 presently produces 460 lb-ft. That 10-ft-lb torque spread is no accident. The 2016 Ram EcoDiesel 3.0-liter V6 generates 420 ft-lb of torque and its 5.7-liter "HEMI" V8 makes 410 ft-lb.

attachicon.gifford v6 ecoboost 17 _Engine-Infographic.jpg

GM could modify its 2017 models to add torque, but without boost that is not as easy as it sounds. The topic may be mostly specmanship more than reality. HD trucks pack much more torque than these numbers.

Ford says its new drivetrain will have the first "volume-produced" 10-speed automatic transmission available to consumers. Ford also goes on to say "The new engine provides better low-end and peak engine performance, ideal for hauling heavy payloads and towing heavy trailers."

What say you GM-Trucks readers? Does Ford's leap ahead in max torque point to a boosted gasoline engine being the best for towing going forward?

Archived