Happy with your seatbelt recall fix?

I've been reading about the sloppy job some dealers are doing for the recent seatbelt recall fix - cutting the side shield in order to install a 'pusher bracket on the tensioner'. I read one report where the dealer simply bent one side of the side shield UP and the other side DOWN to make enough room to work. But, "For unsold new vehicles, dealers will replace the retractor assembly." I guess the dealers know a 'cut up' side shield will be too visible to new potential customers and would look like a hack job - yet it is okay for existing owners to get the sloppy looking hack job?

For those that have had the recall work done - are you satisfied - did you get the 'cut' fix? I realize this is an important fix but I sure don't want a sloppy cut job done (where as new buyers will get a cleaner, but more expensive fix).

Recall Title:

Seat Belt

Recall Description:

General Motors has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in certain 2014–2015 model year Chevrolet Silverado 1500 and GMC Sierra 1500 vehicles. The flexible steel cable that connects the driver’s seat belt to the outboard side of the seat (the “tensioner cable”) can fatigue and separate over time as a result of occupant movement into the driver’s seat.

Safety Risk Description:

In a crash, a fatigued tensioner cable could break, reducing the effectiveness of the vehicle’s seat belts increasing the risk of injury to the driver.

Repair Description:

For used and customer vehicles, dealers will enlarge the side shield opening, install a pusher bracket on the tensioner, and if necessary, replace the tensioner assembly free of charge. For unsold new vehicles, dealers will replace the retractor assembly.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had the recall performed by my local GMC dealer located in Easton, PA off Hecktown Rd. and this is how the truck was returned to me. I am not pleased with the repair and appalled that GM or the dealer considers this a good job! If the pictures aren't coming through, here are the links. http://www.ballardphotos.com/Cars/GMC-Seat-belt-Recall/i-zXkmN9g/A and http://www.ballardphotos.com/Cars/GMC-Seat-belt-Recall/i-RCxXKxP/A

After the recall repair

After the recall reapir

What it looked like prior to the repair

I had the recall performed by my local GMC dealer located in Easton, PA off Hecktown Rd. and this is how the truck was returned to me. I am not pleased with the repair and appalled that GM or the dealer considers this a good job! If the pictures aren't coming through, here are the links. http://www.ballardphotos.com/Cars/GMC-Seat-belt-Recall/i-zXkmN9g/A and http://www.ballardphotos.com/Cars/GMC-Seat-belt-Recall/i-RCxXKxP/A

Is no way in hell I will allow them to do this to my truck. Seeing this I am now already starting to contact the regional sevice manager. If they do not want to give me th e'unsold' fix I will just trade it in for a Ford same day. That is horseshit.

Have you tweeted these pics to GM I would. @ThisIsGMC I for one would LOVE to see what they say.

It's a seat belt anchor. Geez you're gonna get rid of your truck because of it? Hahaha. Wow.

Voice your concern about the quality of the cuts before it's done. They WILL do the recall when you take it in to the dealer. It's the law. They have no choice and neither do you.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

It's a seat belt anchor. Geez you're gonna get rid of your truck because of it? Hahaha. Wow.

Voice your concern about the quality of the cuts before it's done. They WILL do the recall when you take it in to the dealer. It's the law. They have no choice and neither do you.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

If that's the case, then they have an obligation to fix the problem correctly. From what I have read only the consumer's vehicles get the hack job. Unsold vehicles get a whole new setup. One gent on this site refused the treatment and merely had to sign off on a waiver.

I just got off of the phone with my long time service advisor. He tells me that the fix is a "recommendation" from GM and that I am not required to have the fix done. Honestly, if I felt that it was truly a safety hazard I would have it done regardless of the mess it makes but I don't drag my butt across the seat anywhere near the part in question so I am going to opt out. He agrees.

I got my recall letter and have no intention of making a special trip to do this work. I will definitely ask for the "unsold truck fix" rather than the hack job. I will see if they want to do it when I go in for my next free oil change.

Thank you guys for posting photos of the work you had completed. I'm not convinced all recalls are necessary. I previously had a key recall for my grand am. They glued some goofy pieces of plastic to the key fob. I can't believe I wasted an hour to go in for that.

I would love to know if anyone has requested the "better fix" for your seatbelt and what the dealer says about that.

I've been holding off on getting the recall work done after seeing someone else post photos similar to the OP's. I don't want my truck hacked up like that.

Archived