Should GM Maintain the Column Shifter on Next Gen?

13 hours ago, Dodgersfan said:

Owned 1 ford in between my 5 GMs. Column shifter way more comfortable for me, but probably because that’s what I’m most used to. Probably would make sense to make a keyless option if you want to pay for it. 

I would love to see GM come up with some kind of combination lock like my ford had. I used that all the time. Able to lock keys in truck while I went to gym or for a run or paddle boarding. I can use onStar, but still have to carry phone. That sucks when you go on water or for run. 

It's doable on later trucks.  Maybe '15 and up?

• 2 weeks later...

I've always hated the column shifter, these days it makes me feel like I have 3on the tree. I don't like rotary dials either in a truck. A special/luxury/sport truck should have that feel register with everything I touch. These trucks are over 50k, make me feel like paying that note. Leave the push button to Lincoln. Give me a horseshoe, a 'T', a slanted hockey stick. One other thing, any truck costing over 30gs should Have dual horns.

• 3 months later...

New to GM and I can't believe how much I actually like the "archaic" steering column shifter. It makes so much sense. You always know exactly what gear you're in by feel, don't even have to look at it to shift it, and otherwise stays out of the way and doesn't eat up center console space. No it's not sexy or trendy or "cool", but I think they make perfect sense in utilitarian vehicles like these. I definitely prefer it in my Suburban compared to a floor shifter, rotary knob somewhere, or especially a push button thing. I did have a 1984 Pontiac 6000 that I learned to drive on which was "three on the tree" back then! It had front bench seating so not really any other place to put it. Amazing how my brain snapped right back to column shifter mode, though. I hope they stick with the column shifters.

I haven’t personally checked out the 2019 Silverado.  Can someone that has actually checked it out or even better has bought one attest to what the mode of shifting is?  Also, does it still have key start or does it now have push start?

• 2 months later...

All Chevy/GMC 1500, 2500 and 3500's are column shift. The Canyon/Colorado have console shifters, though.

EDIT: Should also add all Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade are column shift, too. 

Edited by magnum74

18 hours ago, magnum74 said:

All Chevy/GMC 1500, 2500 and 3500's are column shift. The Canyon/Colorado have console shifters, though.

EDIT: Should also add all Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade are column shift, too. 

The console shifter in the 15-present Colorado looks like a leftover part from a 2005 Malibu.

• Like 1

Well, GM does a lot of surveys and analysis to base their design, performance and other attribute decisions on.  So, they’re aware that their truck customers are two things; the most loyal and the most conservative among the various demographics.  So, I’m guessing that have considerable data  stating that the column shifter is a positive feature or at worse a neutral feature.  I know that I never think about the subject until I come across it in this forum.  

I prefer a column shift and always will. I can deal with a console shift but I'm not big on the dial. I don't think a dial shift alone would prevent me from buying a Dodge but it's not something I'd consider a plus.

5 hours ago, Tonto said:

Yes.  Why take up console space with something you use once at the beginning of your drive and once at the end of your drive 95% of the time. 

That was GM's argument when they were discussing the 2019 1500's with a TFL guy in the video TFL put out. 

I have mixed feelings about push button, but leave the shifter where it is! 

• 11 months later...

I think the column shifter should stay with the more open concept folding center seat.  Allows for one more passenger when needed and the the main seating is the same as with a console and less room anyway... As to the push button start/stop, its taking a bit to get used to it therefore the jury is still out on it.

• 2 weeks later...

I am one to vote for the shifter on the column. I have driven vehicles with the dial or push button, and it is just weird to me. I do like the push button start, keeping the keys in your pocket is awesome tho. 

Console shifters I agree take up space that could be used for other activities.