Should GM Maintain the Column Shifter on Next Gen?

When I picked mine up last summer, my son (who has been driving a couple years) got in and pointed to the column shifter and asked:  "What's that?"

Being a manual transmission fan...(dying breed), I don't necessarily prefer the column shift, but it's a truck.  I'll probably never have the need to have 3 people in the front, but many do.  The shifters today in more and more vehicles are just an electrical switch, so the engineers could be a little more creative and cost effective in their design of a "shifter" than the current column shifter though.  The rotary dial on the dash of the Ram seemed a little awkward when I took one for a test drive, but I thought "why not".

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am pretty sure the GM Engineers (would think it looks more modern) would love to go to a console shift, but GM truck diehards love our column shifters. 

5 hours ago, Ferrari Eater said:

I feel like push button start and button shifters would be less reliable.

Why do you feel this way?  Buttons switches are available that are rated for millions of presses before failing.  And they are much less complicated to make vs ignition switches.

And transmissions are mostly electronically controlled already, probably the main thing that is not is the parking pawl.

9 minutes ago, davester said:

Why do you feel this way?  Buttons switches are available that are rated for millions of presses before failing.  And they are much less complicated to make vs ignition switches.

And transmissions are mostly electronically controlled already, probably the main thing that is not is the parking pawl.

Perhaps the electronic circuits might fail. 

3 minutes ago, Ferrari Eater said:

Perhaps the electronic circuits might fail. 

But that electronic circuit is just a different one from the electronic circuit of the existing setup.  The stuff is already electronically controlled.

1 minute ago, davester said:

But that electronic circuit is just a different one from the electronic circuit of the existing setup.  The stuff is already electronically controlled

I guess it is. Trying to say I like the column shifter better.

On 5/12/2020 at 6:54 AM, Ferrari Eater said:

I feel like push button start and button shifters would be less reliable.

Have you all looked at the new 2021 Tahoe/Suburban. They have push button shifter. Christ when I was a kid my dad had a 1956 Dodge Royal Lancer with a push button automatic. That is bizarre! 

From the videos I have seen, yes it’s a button style, but you have to pull it instead of pushing like a tradition button to go into drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk