Battery Replacement

A buddy of mine has the same truck as I do, 2014 Chevy crew LTZ. He is in need of a new battery. He's been to 4 different places (auto parts stores and repair shops) and they have all told him they won't replace the battery and he has to take it to the dealer. Has anyone else experienced this? They say it has to do with the cables and module on top of the battery.

If your truck is still under the bumper to bumper warranty, they should replace the battery under warranty at the dealer. Had a 3 year old battery replaced in my 2013 Impala earlier this year under warranty before trading it in.

I think the issue is you have to remove that structural cross member that attaches to the fender in order to be able to lift the battery out and they don't want to touch anything except for the battery itself. You know because out of all of that engine bay space, GM had to shove the battery in a tight corner like that probably to drive business to dealers which seems to be the logic behind most of the things they do. Your friend, as long has he has a good socket wrench set, should be able to install the battery himself just fine.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I took my truck to 2 places, Autozone and advance auto part. Auto zone wouldn't touch it b.c of that cross member. It took the tech about 20 min to replace and he had all the tools. Wasn't easy. I was so mad with a dead battery after 2.5 yr and seeing how hard it was. Almldt made me want to trade my truck in lol.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My truck is right at 2 1/2 yrs old, but at 45,000 miles. My battery was dead when I got in it today and I can't find any mention of the battery in the warranty booklet. Is early battery failure common on these trucks ? Any recommendations for a replacement if I don't go with GM ?

You won't see battery in the booklet, but when you think about it, the battery would fall under the bumper to bumper warranty, right? Go take it in and talk to them. See if you get a good feeling about them replacing it for ya. You might just get a free battery and free is goooooooooooooood. As for alternatives to AC/Delco Batteries- Folks seem to think highly of the Wal Mart batteries (can't remember the brand name) as well as Odyssey, if you're looking for top of the line. Me personally? I'd probably go get whatever Costco has- which right now is Interstate. Always get a good price there and Interstate is a good brand

I believe the battery warranty is 36 months/36k miles. You will get a new battery up to that time, but the new one will be warranted only for the remainder of your original 36 month/36k miles warranty. So if your original battery fails after 35 months, you get a month warranty on your replacement battery.

I am not sure if mileage really matters, maybe it is just time because batteries are normally warranted for a specific period, not dependent on mileage.

Yes, your Battery is covered under the bumper to bumper 36,000 mile warranty...I was traveling on vacation last week in San Diego. I went to start my truck and it was dead. I mean click click click...dead. It had shown no signs of trouble before this. I was able to get it jumped started and drove it to the nearest GMC Dealer. I had approximately 34,000 miles on my truck. They tested the truck and replaced my battery with no questions asked! I was very fortunate to be in a big city near a GMC dealer and happy it happened before my warranty ran out!

You are correct. The Service Manager called me back on Monday and told me the battery falls under the 3yr/36,000 mile warranty. I am about 10K past that, so I now have a replacement from Autozone. A bit of a pain to trade the battery out on these trucks !

You are correct. The Service Manager called me back on Monday and told me the battery falls under the 3yr/36,000 mile warranty. I am about 10K past that, so I now have a replacement from Autozone. A bit of a pain to trade the battery out on these trucks !

• 1 year later...

Dead battery at 2 years, 8 months. Not too difficult to swap out if you know what you're getting into, but WAYYY more difficult that just replacing a battery should be.

Watch the YouTube video where the guy flips the battery on its side when removing and installing. This way you don't have to move the coolant reservoir. Great tip.

https://youtu.be/35ih6Ncd_Eg

The worst part was the $250 battery, which was the cheapest one AutoZone had. 5 year, 100% replacement warranty though.

ALSO, the guys (and gal) at my local AutoZone were great as usual. They offered to swap it out for me if I brought it back during daylight hours. Said it would take 30 - 45 minutes, as they had replaced several already. Doesn't hurt to ask!

Edited by 2Speed